Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking to buy LS1 Trans Am, need expert advice...please!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2012, 06:31 PM
Launching!

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by crazyelf
also don't worry about cats. You can get the codes tuned out if they are being set from the headers for sure.
Is there a way to pass emissions with those codes?
i.e. Like would it work if I fully warmed up the car, cleared the codes, drove around X miles until computer cycled on my way to emissions? I haven't really messed with all this computer stuff before... (My current "fun" car is a 1962 chevy C10... Don't have to mess with all this emissions nonsense...)
Old 06-30-2012, 01:01 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Last time I had to do emissions in Tucson was almost 10 years ago, but unless it's changed, they check codes and put your car on a dyno and check actual emissions at different rpms, at the tailpipes. You would need the full factory emissions setup in order to pass; EGR, functioning cats and rear 02 sensors.
Old 06-30-2012, 07:13 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by big_g
Is there a way to pass emissions with those codes?
i.e. Like would it work if I fully warmed up the car, cleared the codes, drove around X miles until computer cycled on my way to emissions? I haven't really messed with all this computer stuff before... (My current "fun" car is a 1962 chevy C10... Don't have to mess with all this emissions nonsense...)
If the codes are being set off then there is no way to pass. It is an obdII car meaning no rollers or sniffers on the exhaust. All they do is hook up an emissions scanner to the obd port and scan it for codes.
What I was saying is that with tuning software you can eliminate those codes from the computer essentially they will never be able to pop up again and can not be scanned for. Any reputable shop should be able to do this for you, Or you could even drive up here and I myself could do it with my hptuners.
Old 06-30-2012, 07:53 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by crazyelf
If the codes are being set off then there is no way to pass. It is an obdII car meaning no rollers or sniffers on the exhaust. All they do is hook up an emissions scanner to the obd port and scan it for codes.
What I was saying is that with tuning software you can eliminate those codes from the computer essentially they will never be able to pop up again and can not be scanned for. Any reputable shop should be able to do this for you, Or you could even drive up here and I myself could do it with my hptuners.
That's good info. I was afraid I'd have to put my car back to all stock if we ever move back to Tucson. I remember they also took a mirror and looked under the car. I guess they were checking for the catalytic converter?
Old 06-30-2012, 11:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

What is your goal for your future purchase? Nice cruiser w/little to no mods or something you are going to race with? I would base my search off that. Oh and $8500 was way too much for that 98 ls1 especially if it threw codes.

Quick Reply: Looking to buy LS1 Trans Am, need expert advice...please!!!!