Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

belt squeal

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2012, 11:05 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by leon phelps
well I think I may have it. The power steering pulley is off by 1/2 of a groove with the laser guide. not much at all. cant really be anything I can see.

When I tried to move the pulley in more, it bottomed out on the power steering pump housing. It still was the same 1/2 of a groove off. I ordered a new one. You could see on the back of the pulley that the paint was worn off, so I know it was bottomed out.

Any other reasons why the pulley would not go on far enough? Bracket is solid, there is a plate on the front side that cant really go anywhere else. No spacer between bracket and head.

If the new pulley does not go in far enough, I will be replacing the pump.
What acc drive are you using ?? Truck or Vette ??

I am running truck acc & I had the same problem with my PS pump pulley not lining up & bottoming out when pulled on farther.....

I placed two washers between the PS pump body & the mounting bracket which moved it back enough to get the pulley on a little more...no noise & I even used a used belt.

I used a straight edge from the crank pulley to the PS pulley to get it in line.
Old 09-08-2012, 01:57 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 69 Likes on 61 Posts

GM had a TSB about this problem. Check the p/s pump pulley. Is it all the way on the shaft??
Chased this for months, with all new parts, a KWIK a/c brkt. Even added the trik tensioner..NO DEAL. Checked the pulley.. Only about 1/16- 3/32" too far out. Pressed it flush.. Done with it.

Quick Reply: belt squeal