Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How restrictive are non-mandrel bends?

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2012, 02:19 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

All else being equal mandrel bends will always outflow crush bends; that's why I use them!. So if you're going to go the "crush bend" route you'll want to minimize the number and the degree of your bends, and go with a slightly larger diameter tubing whenever possible. This way you'll minimize any possible restrictions, and get the most performance for you dollars spent.
Old 08-02-2012, 08:17 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It ought to flow pretty good when you get that crossover moved. It looks like the passenger side has to make a turn to go toward the rear of the car, where the crossover is providing a straighter route. I bet it's actually trying to flow down the crossover, which looks like it would be colliding head on with the drivers side. I don't believe gas is ever supposed to flow thru an h pipe... X pipe yes, but an h pipe should just be there to equalize the pressure. When you get that thing fixed you're going to feel a nice difference... and hear a big difference too.

The sad thing is that, in my experience, exhaust shop people are so opinionated and preachers of back pressure that if you took it back to them to fix it they would be rolling their eyes the whole time. I hate talking to exhaust people...unless they're the type of shop that understand mandrel bends. Those shops understand.

Keep us posted!

Last edited by KurtRardin; 08-02-2012 at 08:36 AM.
Old 08-02-2012, 11:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by 02TransAm/Batmobile
Yea, I knew I would have to fix up the H-pipe but overall I am really happy with its construction and more importantly how he meticulously tucked it.

So if I cut out the H-pipe portion and have them weld in my universal JEG's H-pipe, how do you think this non-mandrel bent 2.5" looks in terms of flow? I'm thinking of selling this True Dual and purchasing the Kooks TD system.
Yes, design and the fact that its HIGH and TIGHT along with a good crush bender. This is why I recommend staying with this shop and getting it fixed right. Try to work with them , hopefully they will not charge you too much to fix it. Who knows want they were Thinking on that H pipe placement. Some shops think it does not matter were you place it they will say " once the pipe fills with exhaust gases the primary will flow right on by " Don't argue will them just have them do it your way or go some where else.
Old 08-02-2012, 12:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are those flowmaster mufflers? If so that would be my guess for loss of power...they flow like CRAP!
Old 08-02-2012, 01:55 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

been deep into the 10s with a 3" crush bent system.
Old 08-02-2012, 03:09 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by ss454327
Are those flowmaster mufflers? If so that would be my guess for loss of power...they flow like CRAP!
Correct me if I'm wrong but they look like Flowmaster 10 series. They flow pretty good compared to their crossflow designs. I doubt they're holding you back much if any.

Like mentioned previously, remove that awkward H-pipe and either place a H-pipe where the pipes are already running parallel or even better a X-pipe.
Old 08-02-2012, 05:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Default Fix it and run with it !

Yea, I knew I would have to fix up the H-pipe but overall I am really happy with its construction and more importantly how he meticulously tucked it.

So if I cut out the H-pipe portion and have them weld in my universal JEG's H-pipe, how do you think this non-mandrel bent 2.5" looks in terms of flow? I'm thinking of selling this True Dual and purchasing the Kooks TD system.
Well I dont know why your still thinking going Kooks TDs. Fix the system you have and run with it. The problem is not the bends or design . I dont know how much you have in your TDs but lets say $ 700 ,any performance gain you may get with Kooks will only be marginal at best. Kooks TDs are going to be at least $1500 for the system and that does not include labor to hang it.
Old 08-02-2012, 05:29 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The mufflers are Flowmaster single-chambers. I thought they flowed well?

I was flirting with the idea of Kooks TD's. I'll see if my wallet can take it.
Old 08-02-2012, 10:17 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 206 Likes on 173 Posts

Your exhaust shop can get the elbows and bends needed to clean up that area around and after the H where the pipe is extremely pinched. It requires more welding than just bending the hell out of the pipe, but your shop is clearly capable of doing it. The rest of the job looks pretty good!
Old 08-03-2012, 12:30 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts

You're an idiot. As a matter of fact, follow your own advice.

Please don't give advice on subjects you know nothing about.

Last edited by 01ssreda4; 08-03-2012 at 12:38 AM.
Old 08-03-2012, 01:51 AM
TECH Junkie

I'm going to see if I can swing by the shop on Saturday. It's kind of far, maybe 45 minutes away but I was happy with their service; they took their time and did not rush it all.

Since it's so far, I got a quote from a shop closer to me. Wanted 200 bucks - yea right.

Last edited by 02TransAm/Batmobile; 08-03-2012 at 02:32 AM.
Old 08-03-2012, 09:52 AM
TECH Fanatic

I'm going to see if I can swing by the shop on Saturday. It's kind of far, maybe 45 minutes away but I was happy with their service; they took their time and did not rush it all.

Since it's so far, I got a quote from a shop closer to me. Wanted 200 bucks - yea right.
Yea get that car back to them as soon as possible , and let them take their time and don't rush them. Hopefully they shave some off that $200 , try to deal with the owner if you can. Kill them with kindness ,don't get into a pissing match !
Old 08-04-2012, 05:05 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That's probably the best advice. Don't go in pointing fingers. Maybe they'll see their error and fix it for free.
Old 08-09-2012, 02:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Did you get to the shop yet ?
Old 08-09-2012, 02:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 01ssreda4
You're an idiot. As a matter of fact, follow your own advice.
Oh please...have you seen a diagram of this muffler? A straight through muffler like a magnaflow, Hooker Maxflow or Dynomax bullet craps on those flowmasters. Please show me a diagram of that muffler and why it flows so well...

Last edited by ss454327; 08-09-2012 at 02:19 PM.
Old 08-09-2012, 08:11 PM
Staging Lane

Oh please...have you seen a diagram of this muffler? A straight through muffler like a magnaflow, Hooker Maxflow or Dynomax bullet craps on those flowmasters. Please show me a diagram of that muffler and why it flows so well...
Not to jump on ya ,but most apps will actually make more power with these.due to the scavenging effect they have.a straight through muffler gives up torque .i have personally been 9.80 on a 275 shot. Through 3.5 inch duals and single chamber flow masters.he is nowhere near that so this exhaust will more than be sufficient for him.how much experience do you have trying out exhaust? The chambers merely deflect sound.do some research on how exhaust systems work .youll probably make your car faster.the loudest is not always the fastest.
Old 08-10-2012, 08:02 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by slinginrods
Not to jump on ya ,but most apps will actually make more power with these.due to the scavenging effect they have.a straight through muffler gives up torque .i have personally been 9.80 on a 275 shot. Through 3.5 inch duals and single chamber flow masters.he is nowhere near that so this exhaust will more than be sufficient for him.how much experience do you have trying out exhaust? The chambers merely deflect sound.do some research on how exhaust systems work .youll probably make your car faster.the loudest is not always the fastest.
Do you seriously think that muffler does anything for scavaging? Do you know what scavaging is? Changing the direction of the exhaust flow does more than "deflect sound" is creates disturbance in the flow. Everyone is pointing fingers at that H pipe like it is the culprit here when I would bet it's not even functional. Once one side of that cross pipe fills up with gas it will create a circle of turbulance at the point where it joins, forcing the flow to pass right by without much change in flow. Now granted it's not adding any scavaging to the system but it's also not blocking any flow. You can cut out that cross pipe and weld up the holes and it wouldn't change a thing in that exhausts flow. Now running into a double set of V shaped baffles (what's inside the 10 series) and having to make those turbulant transitions WILL reduce flow.

Also are you saying those flowmasters were better than some strait through mufflers on your setup? I'm sure losing tq down low would have really killed your setup. I mean you went 9.80 after all so you tried more than one muffler right? Not to jump on ya or anything but surely your setup was faster than open headers?

The best exhaust systems have the most velocity WITHOUT giving up any flow. Back pressure is BS and the best setup system has 0 back pressure. Also if you are making several 90 degree bends to get the pipes side my side for a merge simply to get the scavaging effect you are probably giving up more HP than you are gaining if you have just ran strait out and never merged.
Old 08-10-2012, 08:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

yeah, i do ALOT of exhaust work, and that system is actually really nice for what it is, BUT thet H-pipe or double vee pipe lol is the killing factor. delete that and do a nice x over and youll be game! looks like the exhaust flows very well....from the vee on..
Old 08-23-2012, 04:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Op, did you ever get your car back to the shop? Let us know.
Old 09-03-2012, 08:28 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by omc8
Op, did you ever get your car back to the shop? Let us know.
Finally got to the shop:

Quick Reply: How restrictive are non-mandrel bends?