Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Headers on car 8 months.. Oil smell???

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2012, 07:48 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Headers on car 8 months.. Oil smell???

Been noticing a oil smell comming from the car. This didnt start happening till after the header installation. I got Hooker LTs and a full hooker y to aero chamber set up. Some days are better then others I had the car tuned after the install so it smells pretty rich. But when you can really tell the differnence inbetween oil and exhaust smell is after getting on it hard a couple of times. Some high speed playing around and you bring it back and smells pretty oily.

I have a paved white driveway and no oil is it and I cant seem to locate where the oil smell is comming from.

Anyone else experiance this??

I had a shop do the install..

Tick perfomance in Mooresville NC
and their neighbor dyno did the tune.

had arp studs for the headers.
got to looking at em..
do they need to be tightened
how and to what specs..
if anyone can enlighten me..

thanks for the help in advance.
Old 07-10-2012, 10:22 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just a shot in the dark, but you might want to lift the car up and look back where the transmission and engine meet. I think I have a very slight oil leak at the rear main seal. It isn't making it onto my garage floor because there is a crosspiece directly under it, but the crosspiece appears to be shiny and coated with oil. If a very small leak is making its way onto your hot exhaust it could be the source of the smell.
Old 07-10-2012, 10:50 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Im thinking the same that there is a small leak somewhere that may be getting on the exhaust, its easy enough to get under there to check.
POWERBOND - ASP - PRECISION INDUSTRIES - YANK - CIRCLE D - AND MORE!
NEW NUMBER (512)863-0900

Quick Reply: Headers on car 8 months.. Oil smell???