Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Got wrong headers in mail, 1 7/8 instead of 1 3/4

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2012, 11:11 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i might be a naive. but 7/8 has more room the 3/4... so thus more can be pushed through and more power right?

ill believe 3/4 is better when i see a side by side dyno sheet
Old 07-13-2012, 01:09 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Jadedbird
i might be a naive. but 7/8 has more room the 3/4... so thus more can be pushed through and more power right?

It is all about getting the exhaust velocity to the right speed. You want the exhaust gases to exert the biggest pull on the intake track during the overlap period. Kind of a mini supercharging effect.
Old 07-13-2012, 02:50 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by lsxc4vette
I'd like to see some 0-60 ,1/4 mile results comparing the 1 7/8 vs. 1 3/4 on a somewhat stock car.Has anyone tested these out before.
When have you ever seen 0-60 testing on this site?

I'm sure if you search you can find track results. Dyno results show people picking up power everywhere in the curve, impossible not to ET and MPH better with them.
Originally Posted by Jadedbird
No you won't... After you see the dyno results you will believe 7/8 is better.. LOL
Old 07-13-2012, 03:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by sepsis
You ordered the wrong headers and got the right ones.
Perfect!
Old 07-13-2012, 03:31 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by FormulaTA327
i will be calling them tomorrow to let them know about the mistake, tried today but they were closed already. not trying to screw anyone over. hopefully they agree to let me keep them and not swap them
I'll ask the question that everyone else forgot to ask. Did you measure the ID or OD of the tube? If you measured the OD, the you got what you ordered.
Old 07-13-2012, 04:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 99 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by dlandsvZ28
Before you call measure them properly. Using a tape measure will give you a false measure.

I thought I got 1 3/4 from ARH but had ordered 1 7/8. ARH tech explained how to meaure them - they were actually 1 7/8 after measuring them with the right tool.
Originally Posted by LS1MCSS
I'll ask the question that everyone else forgot to ask. Did you measure the ID or OD of the tube? If you measured the OD, the you got what you ordered.
Exactly - I think he will find that he got the correct headers if he measures them correctly with the proper tool.
Old 07-13-2012, 04:17 PM
TECH Junkie

Tubing is measured in OD. IMHO all you need is a set of dial calipers. Measure a section of straight pipe as a bend will shrink somewhat.
Old 07-13-2012, 04:18 PM
Launching!

Just call them back and let them know what happen, I have done it before and its not a big deal. Its not even really a money thing, more of an honesty thing. Will they miss the dollars, maybe not but I think anyone who sells anything would like to know and be aware of what happen.

On a seperate note, can you post pics after the install?
Old 07-13-2012, 04:30 PM
On The Tree

Hey OP! if you fill that you have the wrong headers and you purchased kooks, call or e-mail both kooks and the other vendor you actually purchased from and give them a heads up about the problem. I purchased a set of kooks headers and catted x-pipe from a supporting vendor on here and both were very helpful when i found that the x-pipe was the wrong one, i contacted kooks and gave them the part number i had recieved and they told which one i should have recieved. I then called the vendor i purchased from and they immediately contacted kooks and ordered the correct part and had it shipped. The vendor sent out a call tag for the wrong part and it was picked up the next day. I recieved my correct part and it had the wrong tag showing it fit another vehicle, immediately contacted kooks and with-in an hours time they saw i had the correct part just mislabled.
Kooks will work with you and make sure you have what you asked for and the other vendor will also, i know from experience.
Old 07-13-2012, 06:34 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by hiram007
Just call them back and let them know what happen, I have done it before and its not a big deal. Its not even really a money thing, more of an honesty thing. Will they miss the dollars, maybe not but I think anyone who sells anything would like to know and be aware of what happen.

On a seperate note, can you post pics after the install?
I called them today and let them know what happend, they said to keep them and that i got one good deal out of it which is no lie. the box they came in said 1 7/8 and the tag on each header said 1 7/8. Just to double check from being mislabeled how do i correctly measure to see if it is 1 7/8. I will post pics when done.
Old 07-14-2012, 09:24 AM
On The Tree

Tubing is measured by the outside diameter where pipe is measured by inside diameter until you get to 12" diameter pipe and larger then it is measured by outside diameter. If you have a tape measure used for making clothes, wrap it around the o.d. of the header tube write the measurement down take a calculator and divide by pi or 3.1416 and that will give you the measured o.d. Should be approximately 5.8905 inches which comes out to about 5-15/16" in. wrap dimension. This will calculate out to about 1-7/8" . If you measure 5-1/2" wrap dimension then you have 1-3/4" headers.
Old 07-14-2012, 10:05 AM
TECH Addict

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Quote from Brian Tooley....

I've posted this about a thousand times, but I'm going to post it one more time.

In the back to back testing we did, heads with 1.55" exhaust valves MADE MORE POWER EVERYWHERE WITH 1 7/8" HEADERS COMPARED TO 1 3/4"

Heads with 1.57" valves seemed to make about the same power either way.
Old 07-14-2012, 11:09 AM
Launching!

Everyones quick to say the 1 7/8 are better, when they really need to read up on velocity like svede said... Of course exhaust valve size, exhaust port, cam lobes, primary length and collector length don't matter. Yall just keep throwing on "the big ones" lol
Old 07-14-2012, 11:24 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 99peweterls1
Everyones quick to say the 1 7/8 are better, when they really need to read up on velocity like svede said... Of course exhaust valve size, exhaust port, cam lobes, primary length and collector length don't matter. Yall just keep throwing on "the big ones" lol
Wow, despite dyno after dyno after dyno, statements like these are still being made................
Old 07-14-2012, 01:36 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

While we read up on that to see why you guys think you are right... You read up on the proven real world facts and see why we are right.
Old 07-14-2012, 11:25 PM
Teching In

I don't care about a dyno results.I want to see 1/4 mile results.
Old 07-15-2012, 12:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by FormulaTA327
I called them today and let them know what happend, they said to keep them and that i got one good deal out of it which is no lie. the box they came in said 1 7/8 and the tag on each header said 1 7/8. Just to double check from being mislabeled how do i correctly measure to see if it is 1 7/8. I will post pics when done.
Good man.

Originally Posted by lsxc4vette
I don't care about a dyno results.I want to see 1/4 mile results.
Do you expect something making more power to magically run slower numbers in the same scenario with the only difference being the headers?
Old 07-15-2012, 11:46 AM
TECH Junkie

"Wow, despite dyno after dyno after dyno, statements like these are still being made................"

It is because the statement is correct. It is all about getting the exhaust velocity correct for the given application.
Old 07-15-2012, 12:34 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 1989GTA
"Wow, despite dyno after dyno after dyno, statements like these are still being made................"

It is because the statement is correct. It is all about getting the exhaust velocity correct for the given application.
I probably should have been a little more specific. What I was meaning to respond to was this part of the quote:

Everyones quick to say the 1 7/8 are better, when they really need to read up on velocity like svede said...
I've "read" enough dyno numbers to know that even in stock application, they are better. This is what I was referring to.
Old 07-15-2012, 07:10 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Guitar
Good man.

Do you expect something making more power to magically run slower numbers in the same scenario with the only difference being the headers?
Yes, because whens the power coming in at.What rpm?You could be losing with the bigger headers on his car,in the lower rpm's.Sure he will get the power back up top but will it be enough to make up what he lost down low,say 0-60 or 1/4 mile times.And I'm only saying the op's car.Sure if you have a stoker or a bigger built motor than the bigger headers will help you down low.Just saying I would'nt say it's good that he got the bigger ones unless I new for sure.It all depends on what he's running for the rest of his exhaust system too.

Quick Reply: Got wrong headers in mail, 1 7/8 instead of 1 3/4