Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

push button starter wiring

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2012, 10:01 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Default push button starter wiring

Putting in a push button starter. I have a few small questions. I understand the wiring but what i want to know is do i need to also install an on off switch? Obviously with the normal key setup when you turn the key it sends power to the fuel pump, radio, starter, electric water pump, ect... Without a key wouldn't i need an on/off switch to activate the previously listed things that are only hot when the key is on?
Old 07-16-2012, 12:47 PM
TECH Addict

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I was thinking about this mod as well. I believe you have to still have the car turned to 'on' position if I"m not mistaken.
Old 07-16-2012, 06:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by sscamaroburn02
I was thinking about this mod as well. I believe you have to still have the car turned to 'on' position if I"m not mistaken.
when you turn the key all it does it close or open a contact in a relay, correct? so then you could wire a switch in place of that relay and do the same exact thing with the toggle switch as the key would do by turning it to the on position. Then there would be a start button to activate the starter.
Old 07-16-2012, 08:12 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 3rdCoastPowerSports
when you turn the key all it does it close or open a contact in a relay, correct? so then you could wire a switch in place of that relay and do the same exact thing with the toggle switch as the key would do by turning it to the on position. Then there would be a start button to activate the starter.
Here ya go..
http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f3...h/9c473381.mp4

I'm also selling the start button with all the wires already set up to just plug in and go. Pm me if interested
Old 07-16-2012, 11:31 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by 3rdCoastPowerSports
Sorry buddy its not near that simple. Though these cars are pretty basic in the electronics dept it isn't as simple as a switch to take the place of a relay. You typically have 12v, IGN1, IGN2, ACC, all doing different functions. I would suggest letting a shop who does remote start alarms handle it honestly.
Old 07-17-2012, 07:04 AM
TECH Addict

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by JJsQwuik
Here ya go..
http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f3...h/9c473381.mp4

I'm also selling the start button with all the wires already set up to just plug in and go. Pm me if interested
PM sent
Old 07-18-2012, 12:58 AM
12 Second Club

Received 49 Likes on 30 Posts

Its pretty simple to wire up but all depends how the person installing it.Some guys do it the very cheap way of taking a 2 wire push button.Cut the starter wire near the key cylinder in half.Now you have 2 sides to the starter wire..key side..and starter side.

You would then take the starter side of that wire and hook it up to one of the wires of the push button.Tape up the "key side" of the starter wire since you no longer using the key to engage the starter wire.Now splice the remaining wire of the push button to one of the main ignition wires.This way you still need to use the key to turn on all your accessories and the push button starter will only work with the key on.

Though this works 100%..there is a word of caution.First off this is not the safest way to wire it in.You risk drawing alot of amperage on that ignition wire to engage the starter circuit than its rated for.Any reputable installer would advise in using a relay trigger by ignition that draws power directly from the battery with a fuse for a fully protected circuit.
Old 07-18-2012, 06:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Without researching it further, I think there are 2methods here. The cheaper is a push button switch, preferably through a relay using the stock ignition switch or a high current switch. This is pretty straightforward. You can still have the key start hooked up
Pushbutton start, as on new cars is much more complicated, generally involving proximity sensors to detect key fob to become operational. Last time I researched this stuff a few years ago, there was no aftermarket yet. Now Flaming River has it as an option with their columns & I think separate. Think Autoloc has also had their version out for a while now, not sure who else might have something now. I just lost interest for now.

Quick Reply: push button starter wiring