Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

truck intake

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2012, 02:18 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default truck intake

Aloha gang,
I have a big cam headers and ls6 intake with home ported stock tbody. 426rwhp. Is there a truck intake that makes more power than the ls6? If so, which one should i get?
Old 07-17-2012, 02:38 PM
Staging Lane

You might check to make sure the truck intake will fit under the hood. I just took off my truck intake & installed a ls6 intake & I never noticed how big the truck intake was, lol.
Old 07-17-2012, 02:53 PM
TECH Apprentice

Thanks man. Which intake do you think is better? Can you tell any difference. I want something other than a fast. My cam does redline at 6900rpms though. I might buy an BBK and port the hell out of it. Heat sink is very minimal on ls motors. Not like old school 350s. If any! I would like to see someone with a thermal gun take a reading on a hot BBK intake and a plastic intake. Im quessing there's no difference
Old 07-17-2012, 04:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

how come you don't want a fast? and what are the specs on your cam
Old 07-17-2012, 04:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Skip the truck. Go FAST 92 NW 92

Truck will need mods to work on your C5.
Old 07-17-2012, 05:18 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 3rdCoastPowerSports
how come you don't want a fast? and what are the specs on your cam
FAST is just so over priced. But I realize its a good intake. I'm making 426 whp on stock heads and ls6 intake with stock ported tbody. So I'm sure any intake upgrade would help. I'm thing typhoon 92/92. Cam specs are 235/245 630 lift 113 lsa. Redline is 6900. Nice flat torque curve also.
Old 07-17-2012, 05:44 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Smile

i still say get a FAST and be done.
Old 07-17-2012, 05:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by slammedc5
FAST is just so over priced. But I realize its a good intake. I'm making 426 whp on stock heads and ls6 intake with stock ported tbody. So I'm sure any intake upgrade would help. I'm thing typhoon 92/92. Cam specs are 235/245 630 lift 113 lsa. Redline is 6900. Nice flat torque curve also.
^^^ overpriced? Yes... But better than a typhoon... You can port the FAST for more gains.
Old 07-17-2012, 06:18 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have herd bad things about typhoon intakes.
Old 07-24-2012, 10:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Aloha gang,
I have a big cam headers and ls6 intake with home ported stock tbody. 426rwhp. Is there a truck intake that makes more power than the ls6? If so, which one should i get?
Yes a ported Truck will make more power than a stock LS6. the truck intake to look for is the TBSS or NBSS This intake on a GEN III will require an X link to adapt to the harness. But you will have about $500 in the intake and X Link.
Old 07-24-2012, 02:32 PM
Flow Wizard

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks man. Which intake do you think is better? Can you tell any difference. I want something other than a fast. My cam does redline at 6900rpms though. I might buy an BBK and port the hell out of it. Heat sink is very minimal on ls motors. Not like old school 350s. If any! I would like to see someone with a thermal gun take a reading on a hot BBK intake and a plastic intake. Im quessing there's no difference
Sounds like your trying to steer yourself away from (IMO) the best manifold that suits your needs (your needs and alot of others as well).

Also, make no mistake about heat soak being a real issue when testing aluminum and plastic/composite manifold materials. I've personally conducted the exact testing you mention and in fact there is a 30+ degree temp difference right after a 15 second dyno pull with 180 degree water temps used as our baseline testing in every run. The aluminum intake was 125 degrees after the full power dyno sweep (cooler than the coolant temp of course due to the fuel atomization and ambient air temp flowing thru the manifold).....the composite manifold was only 92 degrees.....literally almost cool to the touch.

If you are searching for the most power from your swap....go to a 102 FAST and be done with it....out of the box worth about 5 HP over the older 90/92 design manifolds (which made the same). If your looking for all the money from the swap consider having me port one.

I know alot of folks gripe about the price, but make no mistake about the fact that cost issues aside, the FAST intake is still King and the best game in town if your looking for the most power from an intake manifold swap in a typical street/strip LS application.

Forget the truck intake btw....the stock truck intake wouldn't fit (major firewall surgery and a serious cowl hood) and its super long runners meant to produce gobs of low end torque in a truck application would kill the top end power of your combination. Now the FAST truck intake is a home run when it comes to power (its the most powerful intake FAST offers) but it also would be a nightmare to fit in a C5 (major cutting and a large hood scoop as well).

The entire FAST topic has been beat to death and I rarely post anymore when I see another similar thread pop up about it, but the bottom line is the cars making the most power on these message boards (and out in the real world) are running the FAST for a reason.....and most of the serious guys are running a ported FAST as well.

When a better manifold design comes along, you can bet your bottom dollar I will be promoting that design, highly likely porting them for even better flow and performance, and certainly running one as well on my personal project(s) also.

Keep in mind guys I have zero allegiance to FAST.....I could port whichever brand intake I choose and charge the exact same thing. My only allegiance is making the most power I can, whether we are discussing my personal stuff, or anyone else's combination I am paid to get involved in and also help optimize. I choose to port the FAST only because I have done all the research to actually know its currently the best aftermarket intake manifold available (that can be made even better with the proper shaping and porting techniques of course). Its just that simple

OP....I hope this helps....good luck with your combo and shoot me a PM if your looking for a ported optimized manifold you can bolt on and see a significant bump in your current power output. You wont regret the move I assure you

-Tony
Old 07-24-2012, 02:44 PM
TECH Apprentice

That's a great post Tony, since my cams redline is 7000, but yet still pulls all the way from 2000, I think I will need a fast. I'm thinking 92/92 though. To this point, all work but the tune has been done by myself. Not sure what I would need to do to make a 102 fit. I'll check you out though. I Need to buy my wife a anniversary ring next week, then I'll dive back into this. That's for your time
Old 07-24-2012, 03:06 PM
Flow Wizard

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

That's a great post Tony, since my cams redline is 7000, but yet still pulls all the way from 2000, I think I will need a fast. I'm thinking 92/92 though. To this point, all work but the tune has been done by myself. Not sure what I would need to do to make a 102 fit. I'll check you out though. I Need to buy my wife a anniversary ring next week, then I'll dive back into this. That's for your time
I've ported a couple of hundred of those....LOL (the 90/92 mm versions)

Still remember how to do them I assure you!

Ported the 102 has about a 10 RWHP advantage btw (the new design manifold allows me more freedom with the grinder due to its completely different construction design) and is a no brainer in an F-Body which doesn't really have any issues with the install. The C5 is tight in the cowl area but there are alot of guys that have shoe horned them in. C6 is a bit easier to install.

Whichever direction you decide to go let me know and I'm sure I can help you extract the most from the swap

-Tony

Quick Reply: truck intake