Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Catalytic Problems

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2012, 06:01 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Catalytic Problems

So I was driving my 01 ss to work yesterday and the SES light popped up, I stopped at Auto Zone and they plugged into the ecu and the code we got was "PO420 Catalyst system Bank 1 below threshold"

After doing some research it looks like the drivers side catalytic converter is toast.

So I am dealt with a decision to make....

$650 for dealership install of a new one.

$200 for a off road y pipe

$500 for LT's and Y pipe

I took a look under the car today and the mani bolts look like there going to break off once I put the 1/2" ratchet on em.

What would you do and why?? Also the whole O2 sensors problem, will I need to reprogram with a off road y pipe?
Old 07-21-2012, 06:56 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by SLP#3766
So I was driving my 01 ss to work yesterday and the SES light popped up, I stopped at Auto Zone and they plugged into the ecu and the code we got was "PO420 Catalyst system Bank 1 below threshold"

After doing some research it looks like the drivers side catalytic converter is toast.

So I am dealt with a decision to make....

$650 for dealership install of a new one.

$200 for a off road y pipe

$500 for LT's and Y pipe

I took a look under the car today and the mani bolts look like there going to break off once I put the 1/2" ratchet on em.

What would you do and why?? Also the whole O2 sensors problem, will I need to reprogram with a off road y pipe?

No brainier lts and y pipe more hp, better flow and with a off road pipe yes youll need to get the rear o2 sensor deleted or youll have a ses light. of course if you have emission inspection than you wont be able to use off road y. also check with the dealership some model year ls1 had a recall on cats, if they are still honoring that than you might be able to get them replaced for free.
Old 07-22-2012, 11:45 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by TransamGCS
No brainier lts and y pipe more hp, better flow and with a off road pipe yes youll need to get the rear o2 sensor deleted or youll have a ses light. of course if you have emission inspection than you wont be able to use off road y. also check with the dealership some model year ls1 had a recall on cats, if they are still honoring that than you might be able to get them replaced for free.

So if I was to go with the LT's what about the front O2 sensors?
Old 07-22-2012, 06:42 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by SLP#3766
So if I was to go with the LT's what about the front O2 sensors?
the front o2's will be fine you need those still on the car they will not be affected by the lt you might just have to get o2 extenders or you can buy corvette o2s the have longer conections
Old 07-22-2012, 06:54 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by TransamGCS
the front o2's will be fine you need those still on the car they will not be affected by the lt you might just have to get o2 extenders or you can buy corvette o2s the have longer conections
So the long tubes have bungs for the O2 sensor? Sorry for all the q's...
Old 07-23-2012, 06:04 AM
On The Tree

Yes. The lts will have O2 bungs.

Quick Reply: Catalytic Problems