Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

low intake

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2012, 07:41 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default low intake

I'm putting a 2003 LQ9 engine in my 66 mustang, I will need the lowest setting intake manifold I can Get , what should I be looking for ? Would like to keep cost down if possible, and I don't have a choice but I hate to give up any H.P. if I don't have to, any and all suggestions welcome.
Vern
Old 08-01-2012, 07:58 PM
Launching!

i think an LS6 intake would be your best bet....you could use an LS1 intake but you will give up some power compared to the truck intake. this is not confirmed with personal experience but i have read it a few times on here
Old 08-01-2012, 08:27 PM
Teching In

Well I'm new to LS engines so be kind to me, but when you say, LS6, isn't my LQ9 considered a LS6 ? I assume your talking about a corvette, GTO type LS6 ? being a car type intake will be lower profile then a truck SUV type correct ?
and if so, any particular year ?
thanks
Vern
Old 08-01-2012, 08:29 PM
Launching!

im new and learning as well...LOL im not too welcome among mustang forums since i am putting an LS in my foxbody

but yes, a C5 Z06 intake is what im referring to...im sure there are others

Originally Posted by vernlee
Well I'm new to LS engines so be kind to me, but when you say, LS6, isn't my LQ9 considered a LS6 ? I assume your talking about a corvette, GTO type LS6 ? being a car type intake will be lower profile then a truck SUV type correct ?
and if so, any particular year ?
thanks
Vern
Old 08-01-2012, 08:59 PM
On The Tree

You will have more hp and less torque with an ls1 intake over the truck breadbox intake. You will pick up hp AND torque with the ls6 intake over either intake. The ls1 and ls6 intakes are both low profile intakes and the throttle body from your truck intake can be used on them. Also the ls1 and ls6 intake CAN be used on your motor with no modification other than the coolant crossove has to be changed to the ls1 style or the ls6 style. You will also need the fuel rails from the ls1/ls6 or aftermarket fuel rails.
Old 08-01-2012, 09:00 PM
On The Tree

Also your accesories will have to be altered to run a "car" intake
Old 08-01-2012, 09:30 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

If your throttle body is cable drive, you will need to switch to an 07 and newer truck water pump. The outlet on it will clear the throttle body. You'll have to cut a small section off of the alternator bracket to clear the intake/throttle body setup. With the LS6 intake, cable drive throttle body, late model pump, and modded alternator bracket, it looks like this except for the a/c. The lower right idler has since been removed.

Old 08-02-2012, 07:08 AM
Teching In

LS1MCSS, thanks for the picture, it's worth a thousand words , Silver Sleeper, Yes I getting a lot of *&@#%* about the chevy in a mustang also. Oh well it's the best of both worlds I think, Funny no one ever said anything when I put a chevy in my 40 ford, or my 47 ford or my 29 ford ect. ect. ect.
Vern
Old 08-02-2012, 07:32 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

Your LQ9 will have a DBW TB but you can still make it work with water pump mods.
Old 08-02-2012, 07:51 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 96s-10ss
You will have more hp and less torque with an ls1 intake over the truck breadbox intake. You will pick up hp AND torque with the ls6 intake over either intake. The ls1 and ls6 intakes are both low profile intakes and the throttle body from your truck intake can be used on them. Also the ls1 and ls6 intake CAN be used on your motor with no modification other than the coolant crossove has to be changed to the ls1 style or the ls6 style. You will also need the fuel rails from the ls1/ls6 or aftermarket fuel rails.
The LS1 intake will lose HP and TQ from the stock truck intake. The LS6 is a small gain but it's a headache I wouldn't want IMO. I don't see why you can't clear the hood with the stock truck intake myself. My neighbor has a '67 Mustang with an '03 cobra motor and a big whipple supercharger with a large heat exchanger and he has room to spare under the hood. I would think a truck intake, Vic jr or Pro Flo xt would all fit easily.
Old 08-06-2012, 06:08 PM
Teching In

ss454327 / I'm doing the mock up right now and if the truck intake will clear my hood, I will at least start out with it, It just don't have the COOL factor like the car intakes
Vern
Old 08-06-2012, 06:45 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

the ls6 intake is worth 10 more hp over a ls1 intake.most truck intake can make the same power as a ls6 intake up to 5500 rpm.you won't need a tune if you add a ls6 intake.you can get them for $350.
Old 08-06-2012, 06:59 PM
Teching In

Got the LQ9 today, I got to be honest, I felt a little sick inside when I seen all that wiring , It is more then a little over welming. I hope all my friends that talked me into putting a chevy in a ford don't desert me now.
Old 06-19-2016, 12:11 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by LS1MCSS
If your throttle body is cable drive, you will need to switch to an 07 and newer truck water pump. The outlet on it will clear the throttle body. You'll have to cut a small section off of the alternator bracket to clear the intake/throttle body setup. With the LS6 intake, cable drive throttle body, late model pump, and modded alternator bracket, it looks like this except for the a/c. The lower right idler has since been removed.

HI, thanks for the info. I just cut my bracket and I just ordered the newer water pump I was woundering have you had any problem with the belt around the water pump and if you could tell me what size belt you are running .

Quick Reply: low intake