Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Most efficient combination

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2012, 10:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Most efficient combination

Hello everyone. I'm beginning a hybrid project, an LS1 into an 81 malibu. I am looking to just build something I can drive on a daily basis, no extensive modification for me. I have read a little bit of information on the LS1 and I have a few questions. I know that with tuning, the engine can achieve close to 30 mpg highway. I've read that some of the earlier LS1s in the camaro came with an egr valve, while the corvette used a different cam profile to eliminate the need for an egr valve. I also read that later engines received the LS6 intake and different exhaust manifolds. Like I stated earlier, I am more concerned with efficiency and mileage that with producing high horsepower. Is there any combination of these intakes, cam profiles or exhaust manifolds that would achieve a more efficient engine? Should I just install an aftermarket header? Any advice/information would be greatly appreciated
Old 08-15-2012, 04:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

LS6 intake, aftermarket header and freeflow exhaust.
Run the efilive tuner over it and add the .cax file to enable lean cruise. You can then make it run at 17:1 on the motorway to increase fuel economy.
But still ramp it up to 13:1 under PE etc.

You want freeflow intake as well lots of filter area and no vacuum under throttle etc. Done mess with the cam, anything you spend is the same as wasting money which you are trying to avoid with your mileage goals.

Gearing will also help of course.
Old 08-15-2012, 11:10 AM

So whether I get the early ls1 or the later ones without, just leave it the way it is? Gear ratio will be 3.42.
Old 08-15-2012, 11:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

What I would do is get some sort of full exhaust for the car, a good tune and drive it nice and easy, if you did that you should be able to net some relatively decent MPG's
Old 08-15-2012, 03:52 PM

I was looking into torque tech exhaust. I believe they make a kit for this body style. Any other suggestions? Magnaflow? I've got to get some system with a good, high-flow converter as well. I may have to post in the hybrid section to find out what everyone is using for headers.