Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trouble getting crank pulley off

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2012, 06:09 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Trouble getting crank pulley off

I'm having issues being able to remove the crank pulley on my LS1. I have gotten it about 95% of the way off but it won't budge any further. Any suggestions as to what I can do?

Here is a shot of how far I've gotten it out.

This is what happened just a few minutes ago giving it another shot with the puller.
Old 08-19-2012, 08:01 PM
Launching!

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

What kind of pulley puller are you using? I rented one from Autozone and it worked great.
Old 08-19-2012, 10:14 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by DUSTYWS6
What kind of pulley puller are you using? I rented one from Autozone and it worked great.
The puller seems to be working fine, it just that the pulley isn't moving anymore. If you check out the second picture you can see where the puller actually snapped off one of the tabs it catches on. I'm not sure how I am going to get the pulley off now that there are only 2 places for the 3 arm pulley to catch on to. I was thinking of maybe trying to find a longer bolt to use the puller with to see if that might be the issue.
Old 08-20-2012, 04:23 PM
TECH Resident

Problem solved. Spent half the day going from one hardware store to another until I found a place with a 120mm M16 bolt and was able to get the puller to catch just enough to pull it the rest of the way off. Now the rest of the swap can continue!
Old 08-20-2012, 08:44 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

That broke tab *might* effect your balance, but since it's so close the center of rotation, maybe not. Time will tell...
Old 08-20-2012, 10:01 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by S10xGN
That broke tab *might* effect your balance, but since it's so close the center of rotation, maybe not. Time will tell...
I thought about that as well. I took it as a sign that the engine wanted something better. So I ordered the Powerbond kit from SDPC
Old 08-21-2012, 06:12 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had the same issues last week when removing my balancer. I ended up drilling and tapping 3 holes and using a steering wheel style puller. Replaced with ATI underdrive
Old 08-23-2012, 05:50 PM
LS1TECH & Trucks Sponsor

Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Decadence75
I thought about that as well. I took it as a sign that the engine wanted something better. So I ordered the Powerbond kit from SDPC
Thanks!

Glad you got the old one off, I HATE balancer install/removal issues

800-456-0211 / PM / Facebook
WHIPPLE Superchargers, Procharger, Magnuson, Powerbond Sale, HPTuners packages!, Trickflow, AFR, PRC, CHE Trunion upgrade, $100 7.400" pushrod set, Custom Cam of your choice

Old 08-23-2012, 07:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't know what the problems are with these, everyone talks about how bad of an install it is especially while the cars still all together, me and a buddy (reeperz28 on here) pulled my old one off in probably a minute or two after jacking the car up, heated the SLP up a couple times to expand it, and it just went on, and this is all with my car put together and everything, radiator in place, etc. Nothing was removed for the install. Also, my AC still feels the same, I'm not having any dimming lights problems, and my alternator's still charging perfect, guess I'm lucky but good luck man, just heat the middle of the new one up and you'll be good to go.
Old 08-23-2012, 07:42 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would get a new damper. I suspect you had it a little cocked and didnt pull it straight. Even the slightest amount would make it hard to pull off.
Old 08-23-2012, 11:12 PM
LS1TECH & Trucks Sponsor

Originally Posted by AmarilloWS6
I don't know what the problems are with these, everyone talks about how bad of an install it is especially while the cars still all together, me and a buddy (reeperz28 on here) pulled my old one off in probably a minute or two after jacking the car up, heated the SLP up a couple times to expand it, and it just went on, and this is all with my car put together and everything, radiator in place, etc. Nothing was removed for the install. Also, my AC still feels the same, I'm not having any dimming lights problems, and my alternator's still charging perfect, guess I'm lucky but good luck man, just heat the middle of the new one up and you'll be good to go.
I virtually never have issues, but sometimes they come up and theres nothing you can do to prevent it every time. It only takes once to make you a little wary forever.

Originally Posted by badazz81z28
I would get a new damper. I suspect you had it a little cocked and didnt pull it straight. Even the slightest amount would make it hard to pull off.
He already made the move on a new one.

WHIPPLE Superchargers, Procharger, Magnuson, Powerbond Sale, HPTuners packages!, Trickflow, AFR, PRC, CHE Trunion upgrade, $100 7.400" pushrod set, Custom Cam of your choice

Old 09-04-2012, 06:16 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Scoggin Dickey
Thanks!

Glad you got the old one off, I HATE balancer install/removal issues
No problem! You guys had a great deal I am installing the new pulley as we speak but it doesn't look like it is wanting to go on as far as the stock pulley did. It is as tight as I can get it with the SDPC bolt and a breaker bar. The A/C pulleys look like they line up as well. Does this look ok to you guys?

Old 09-05-2012, 11:47 AM
LS1TECH & Trucks Sponsor

It won't go to the point where the front of the pulley is flat with the front of the crank. The crank snout will be inset about 1/8th inch. If the belts line up, its on there.

Old 09-05-2012, 12:37 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Scoggin Dickey
It won't go to the point where the front of the pulley is flat with the front of the crank. The crank snout will be inset about 1/8th inch. If the belts line up, its on there.
I figured that would probably be the case. I went ahead and got everything back together last night and started her up for the first time. Have some idle issues that I'll have to play with today but I am liking it so far.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3auaAL6k8JA

Quick Reply: Trouble getting crank pulley off