Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone welded cats into a BBK y-pipe?

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2012, 04:40 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone welded cats into a BBK y-pipe?

I know some have done this. Anyone happen to have a pic so I can see where on the y you put them? Unfortunately, I can't weld, and have already had one exhaust shop tell me it can't be done (they'd have to redo the whole exhaust). I just want to weld two Magnaflow cats in and calm down my exhaust note and gas fumes. Already ordered the cats, a pic may help me convince one of the local exhaust shops to weld em up for me. Thanks so much for any help!
Old 09-06-2012, 04:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Go to a different shop. If they told you they'd have to fab a whole new Y-pipe then they suck.
Old 09-06-2012, 04:55 PM
Staging Lane

Yeah they do suck. Problem is that every shop I've been to in the Omaha area sucks. They're all lazy, dishonest or stupid. Usually at least two out of three. That's why I do my own work, but since I can't weld I'm at these people's mercy! As an aside, if anyone lives around here and can recommend a good shop, that would help a lot too!
Old 09-06-2012, 05:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by nmbr5ml
Yeah they do suck. Problem is that every shop I've been to in the Omaha area sucks. They're all lazy, dishonest or stupid. Usually at least two out of three. That's why I do my own work, but since I can't weld I'm at these people's mercy! As an aside, if anyone lives around here and can recommend a good shop, that would help a lot too!
Same here, no good exhaust shops. Everywhere you go wants to hack your **** up and do crush bends with shitty looking welds.
Old 09-08-2012, 08:58 PM
Launching!

You think it may be possible to use exhaust band clamps to mount your cats in the y pipe maybe? Im only asking since you cant weld and all, figured this might be a work around for you since the exhaust shops you`ve been to are rather...ignorant (to put it in a nice way lol)
Old 09-08-2012, 10:51 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

IMO, sounds like you'll have to be willing to drive a lot further if you really want it done right.
The passenger side wont be bad at all since there's plenty of room to put it where you want, but the driver side you'll definitely be want a good exhaust shop to do it right.
Old 09-09-2012, 11:27 PM
Staging Lane

Yeah I got Magnaflow cats that are slip fit so it's theoretically possible to clamp them in, but it would look like crap. You can see the y pipe on the driver side peeking out from under the car. Besides, I want it done right... I'll find someone to do it or I will enroll in a welding class at my local community college!
Old 09-10-2012, 09:30 AM
Launching!

Actually thats not a bad idea. Go to the local community college and see if they will let you have one of the students weld it up for you, or like you said, you can learn yourself, one of many skills I would love to know how to do properly.

Posted from LS1Tech.com App for Android
Old 09-15-2012, 08:43 AM
Staging Lane

I did find a guy locally to fix it up. I told him I wanted cats and he said "why?". The BBK y-pipe is a little more complicated than just cutting and welding, since it's not straight anywhere on the driver side forward of the merge. This guy has a mandrel bender and did a great job welding everything up. If anyone else is in the general Omaha area, pm me for the guy's number. (Not sure it'd be cool to post it here). He was actually eager to do this job and it looks/sounds great. I'd love to send business his way.

The BBK setup with magnaflow metallic cats and TSP Rumbler (basically straight pipe with a Dynomax Bullet in the I pipe) sounds stock at idle, but still gets nasty at high rpm. Its exactly what I wanted, and the gas smell is gone!
Old 09-15-2012, 11:45 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

You need to take some photos so we can see the work he did.

IMO, to find a local shop that has a mandrel bender is; GOLDEN!

Last edited by 99Bluz28; 09-15-2012 at 12:05 PM.

Quick Reply: Anyone welded cats into a BBK y-pipe?