Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Poly motor and trams mounts...

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2012, 12:19 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Element
I've got solid motor mounts and a poly trans mount on the car now. I'm not too picky about vibration or noise, but with solid motor mounts and 4.11s in a 10-bolt, the poly trans mount just transfers too much noise. Couple that with dumped duals, and it's impossible to talk to someone sitting in the passenger seat.
What solids did you end up using? I put in the UMI ones this weekend, it was a PITA to line up, but well worth it I have a loud buzzing vibe at idle, but its goes away if you crack the throttle a bit, or if you are on the move...
Old 09-25-2012, 02:10 PM
On The Tree

I have stock rubber motor mounts and a poly Energy Suspension trans mount (grinded bump stops + didnt use the provided plate)

I have had ZERO problems. No weird vibrations at any speed. Nothing. Its a worth while upgrade IF you do it right.

I've been running this setup for a while now (8 months+) with lots of WOT runs. Again, zero problems.

I will be upgrading to poly motor mounts when I install my headers.
Old 09-25-2012, 02:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 03Sssnake
What solids did you end up using? I put in the UMI ones this weekend, it was a PITA to line up, but well worth it I have a loud buzzing vibe at idle, but its goes away if you crack the throttle a bit, or if you are on the move...
PA Racing. They needed some rewelding before they went in, but the fit wasn't too bad from what I gathered. UMI didn't have their billet pieces out then, or I probably would have gone that route. They look damned nice.

Aside from a bit more vibrations, I didn't notice any new issues with the solid mounts. Course, so much **** rattles inside from the dual drone that it tends to drown other things out. The solid mounts did get rid of "low-gear lurch" when I was in 1st or 2nd gear but off the throttle (typically in traffic). Best way I can describe it is that it felt like the whole driveline would bind up, then lurch forwards, until I gave the car a bit of throttle. Damned annoying.
Old 09-25-2012, 02:39 PM
TECH Resident

PA Racing. They needed some rewelding before they went in, but the fit wasn't too bad from what I gathered. UMI didn't have their billet pieces out then, or I probably would have gone that route. They look damned nice.

Aside from a bit more vibrations, I didn't notice any new issues with the solid mounts. Course, so much **** rattles inside from the dual drone that it tends to drown other things out. The solid mounts did get rid of "low-gear lurch" when I was in 1st or 2nd gear but off the throttle (typically in traffic). Best way I can describe it is that it felt like the whole driveline would bind up, then lurch forwards, until I gave the car a bit of throttle. Damned annoying.
The car definitely feels better and I hear you on the driveline lurch! I got tired of feeling/hearing it, the old rubber mounts were shot to ****.
Old 09-25-2012, 02:55 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by GoodSpeed150
I have stock rubber motor mounts and a poly Energy Suspension trans mount (grinded bump stops + didnt use the provided plate)

I have had ZERO problems. No weird vibrations at any speed. Nothing. Its a worth while upgrade IF you do it right.

I've been running this setup for a while now (8 months+) with lots of WOT runs. Again, zero problems.

what do you mean you didn't use the provided plate? so you cut the plate off both sides completely?
Old 09-25-2012, 03:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by GoodSpeed150

just letting you know your asking for trouble stock rubber mounts and a poly trans mount. ive seen alot of people run that and crack the tailshaft of the housing. The rubber motor mounts alow the motor to flex and the poly trans mount holds it stiff easy figure out what will happen
Old 09-25-2012, 03:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ldyzluvdis06
what do you mean you didn't use the provided plate? so you cut the plate off both sides completely?
Not all of the poly trans mounts come with the weird plate. I've ordered two and neither had a plate or bumps...just good luck on the part number, I guess.
Old 09-25-2012, 03:53 PM
On The Tree

My old car had stock motor mounts and a poly trans mount. I can attest to the problems, as I broke the case on the trans. It took a long time and I didn't attribute the case failure to it at the time, since I raced a ton back then with very few issues. So, it would seem that a mild combo(~400 rwhp) might just fatigue the case and then have it fail at some random time when not racing. Just a guess on my part, but I didn't spit a part through the case it just cracked and caused all sorts of carnage after the fact. I guess it didn't like all those 1.44-1.50 60' times.

My mount comes on Wed., I will make sure not to use the spacer and grind the bumps if it has em.
Old 09-25-2012, 09:47 PM
TECH Apprentice

Not all of the poly trans mounts come with the weird plate. I've ordered two and neither had a plate or bumps...just good luck on the part number, I guess.
mine has no humps but a metal plate on each side.
Old 09-25-2012, 10:13 PM
12 Second Club

Ya'll are scaring me.

I have stock MM's and poly TM. Been this way for over a year with a few runs at the track and no problems.

As far as the vibration, it does a little but not that bad, definitely tolerable. At 65-70 it vibrates the most, other than that you really don't even notice it.

Hope I don't break anything this way
Old 09-26-2012, 01:41 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by jrob56
With good results? I want to try out the poly here soon, but since I drove it a lot, Im shying away from it.
Yes, with great results.
Old 09-26-2012, 01:43 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by ldyzluvdis06
mine has no humps but a metal plate on each side.
The plates you are refering to are probably the mounting points. Apperently not every mount comes with the pre-load bumps and plate. I guess they cahnged the design or something.
Old 09-26-2012, 01:43 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Way2Fast
So don't use the plate and shave the preload bumps and it will not feel as bad and still do the job. I will let you know how it goes, it should arrive some time next week.
exactly
Old 09-27-2012, 02:16 AM
12 Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by jrob56
Poly MM and rubber trans=all good
Poly MM and Poly trans=all good
Rubber MM and poly trans= bad news bears

This is the one you were thinking of.
Agreed, this is how tail housings get busted.

I had poly mounts on both and The only problem is the shifter vibrates a little more. Big deal. It's a camaro not a Lexus.
Old 09-27-2012, 02:55 AM
The Scammer Hammer

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Energy Suspension has the plate, and that's the one I hear is always hit or miss, love / hate.

I myself run a Prothane and love the thing. When I took my stocker out I was SHOCKED at it's condition, as well as the rubber motor mounts.

Spohn solids and Prothane Trans mount.... no complaints here. It's very subjective to your own tolerances though.
Old 09-27-2012, 02:26 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by dr_whigham
Energy Suspension has the plate, and that's the one I hear is always hit or miss, love / hate.

I myself run a Prothane and love the thing. When I took my stocker out I was SHOCKED at it's condition, as well as the rubber motor mounts.

Spohn solids and Prothane Trans mount.... no complaints here. It's very subjective to your own tolerances though.
sweet. im installing prothane MM and TM
Old 10-01-2012, 05:59 AM
On The Tree

Got the mount, no bumps and didn't use the plate. No issues. Can't even tell a difference in vibes, works like a champ.
Old 10-03-2012, 09:40 PM
TECH Resident

i plan on doing prothane mm and tm, also have dynamatt waiting to install threw out the car. so hopefully that will limit the vibes. and sound.
Old 10-03-2012, 09:51 PM
Banned

Sorry for the noob question, have been considering these, but what is the advantage of getting poly motor mounts over the stock ones?

I may just replace current motor mounts with a new set of OEM mounts, unless there is some advantage to be had with poly ones.
Old 10-04-2012, 07:55 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by dr_whigham

This is what I am going to, on poly MM and rubber trans now, but my 1 7/8 ARH are still hitting when I get a good bite from a dig, and its tripping the knock sensors. How would you describe that setup? Obviously know there is gonna be more vibrations and noise but I dont have to drive it everyday, just when I want to.

Another plus to this setup is Im going to go duals, and this would let me tuck that setup very close to the body.

Quick Reply: Poly motor and trams mounts...