Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

broke bolt on header install!! need advise!

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2012, 04:47 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default broke bolt on header install!! need advise!

I broke the first bolt on the drivers side while removing the stock headers. The new headers are on but i need that bolt out and dont know how to get it. I tried easy out but it didnt work. Please help. Thankyou
Old 09-30-2012, 05:00 PM
On The Tree

they make a special kind of tool for that, i would call your local car parts store like auto zone and see if u can rent or buy one, either that or call local shops and ask for price.
Old 09-30-2012, 05:16 PM
12 Second Club

did you break just the head od the bolt off leaving some sticking out of the head or did it break off flush with the head? If it was just the head of the bolt and there is enough to grab with a small pair of vise grips you can try tapping on the protruding bolt with a small hammer then seeing if it freed up enough to turn with the vise grips. If not then soak it with PB Blaster and let sit for a few hours and try again. You can also heat the bolt itself until glowing red then cooling it with burst of PB Blaster. Do this a few times then try to turn with the vise grips or suitable extractor. You must take care heating the bolt this way and try to keep the heat on the bolt itself and not the head. Best done by someone who has done many this way since the head can be melted fairly easy. They sell a tool made to heat things like this without actual fire but the tool is quite expensive.

If flush with the head and you have drilled it and an easy out wouldn't remove it drilling until just below the thread size then splitting the bolt with a very small bit in a high speed tool like a dremel will get it done. When in doubt have a shop remove it for you. The money paid is far less than head replacement.
Old 09-30-2012, 06:32 PM
On The Tree

Its in the head you can't see any of it. And i have a very hugh quality electronic dremel and couldnt get it to drill into the bolt
Old 09-30-2012, 11:53 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The only option I could see would be to yank the head and get it to the machine shop and have them extract it.
POWERBOND - ASP - PRECISION INDUSTRIES - YANK - CIRCLE D - AND MORE!
NEW NUMBER (512)863-0900

Quick Reply: broke bolt on header install!! need advise!