Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Seized Pilot Bearing

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2012, 04:59 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had this happen just recently. I used a few chisels and chipped away at it until it started to fall apart. Someone mentioned "soft weld" thats exactly what happened to mine as the bushing spun in the crank bore. Honestly dont be bashful and get in there essentially cut it in half with a chisel, dremel, etc. Yes I did hit the crank a few times, yes it did leave some marks and no i didnt freak out about them. The bushing is soft and had no problem being installed with the nicks in the crank. Honestly it will help it from spinning again. So far haven't had a problem.
Old 10-13-2012, 07:46 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I tried the pilot bearing puller with slide hammer, didn't work as it was stuck in there good so I grinded it out with a die grinder & carbide burr.
Old 10-15-2012, 10:52 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by cranny
Where are you guys buying this freeze spray? It it something a parts store would carry? I never heard of this stuff until now.

I wonder if freon would work just as well.
http://www.cpcares.com/TAE/puretronics/TAE-7400.html
Old 10-20-2012, 04:06 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 903 Likes on 644 Posts

If you use heat, heat around the the bearing on the crank not the bearing itself. If using the freeze spray, spray the bearing not the crank.

I've never used that freeze spray. I was wondering if it actually worked or not. LOL @ using keyboard spray.

Quick Reply: Seized Pilot Bearing