Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

For the Guys With No Cat F-Body Exhausts

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2012, 03:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TyCZ28
agreed on the smell without the cats... it makes me smile and laugh at the people who buy a prius =]

on a side note... if you dont like the smell of the burnt gas.. switch to E85.. makes it smell like a real RACECAR
LOL. this made me spit my drink. it's so true though. e85 fumes will make you cry for real if you guys are complaining about regular gasoline
Old 10-30-2012, 04:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

OP, i have a 00 z28 with pacesetter longs x pipe no cats and no mufflers and i drive it 45 min to work and 45 min back home and to be honest the smell is not bad at all, cant even notice to be honest with you and as far as sound it is very mellow at crusing speeds but is LOUD when you go to get on it. as far as gas mileage i drove from upstate ny down to mooresville nc and only filled up twice on the way down and twice on the way back lol but mind you this is all on a stock block.
Old 10-30-2012, 05:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

im pacesetter LT's and ORY. there is a gas smell at idle but not bad. dont always notice it from the cabin. standing behind it yes.

my brother's fiance told me she loves how it smells when driving behind me and i go WOT.
Old 10-30-2012, 05:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if your concerned about sound and dont want cats

buy magnaflow.. very very quiet .. and loud WOT
Old 10-30-2012, 05:24 PM
TECH Apprentice

im running BBK LT's, and ORY, i dont think it's overly loud, def not quite though. i also dont mind the smell, but if you really hate the smell you could always put some fragrance in there, then it will smell amazing!! iv'e used a few different scents in my bikes before, stuff is awesome smelling.

this isn't the kind i used, but i just did a quick google search to show you.
http://exhaustfragrance.com/fuel-fragrances.php
Old 10-30-2012, 08:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Surprised that nobody mentioned the dreaded RASP. You will have to deal with the raspy exhaust sound until you fix it. Either a new merge or adding a muffler in the I pipe.
Old 10-30-2012, 09:56 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by runtwrestlin
Agreed. Personally, I kinda like the smell of it without the cats. I feel bad for people behind me sometimes though...

Depending on your muffler, you may notice a little rasp if you rev it from an idle.
Yeah my setup rasps out like crazy. Its just brutal but I love it. I went wot by a local coffee shop in town and a guy fell off his stool
Old 10-30-2012, 11:19 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by farmington
Surprised that nobody mentioned the dreaded RASP. You will have to deal with the raspy exhaust sound until you fix it. Either a new merge or adding a muffler in the I pipe.
Without cats you might or might not get rasp. A lot of factors but if the OP plans on going with a pacesetter ORY just about guarantee there will be some. It's got the worst merge of any y-pipe.
Old 10-31-2012, 06:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

Without the cats and H/C I would get a lot of rasp. Don't have an issue with this motor but it does stink like hell without the cats.
Old 10-31-2012, 07:18 AM
TECH Addict

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeWS6
Yeah my setup rasps out like crazy. Its just brutal but I love it. I went wot by a local coffee shop in town and a guy fell off his stool
I used to run your setup and yes it had alot of rasp. That's why I switched.
Old 10-31-2012, 07:19 AM
TECH Addict

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by flintwrench69
Without cats you might or might not get rasp. A lot of factors but if the OP plans on going with a pacesetter ORY just about guarantee there will be some. It's got the worst merge of any y-pipe.
I thought they fixed this with their new ypipe design. I believe your referring to the old style. Correct me if I'm wrong.
Old 10-31-2012, 01:30 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by sscamaroburn02
I thought they fixed this with their new ypipe design. I believe your referring to the old style. Correct me if I'm wrong.
I didnt know they changed it but yes their Y was kind of cobbled up the way it was put together.
Old 10-31-2012, 03:29 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by MikeWS6
So you're going WOT and I assume moving at a good rate of speed. A stock LS1 at WOT is already pretty fast. So, while your moving at a high rate of speed going past some coffee you were able to look into it and witness some guy falling off his chair from your loud raspy car. Now moving at that speed, you would have been a hundred feet away from that coffee shop before the guy even hit the floor.

It's such a stupid bullshit story. Why make **** like that up.
Old 10-31-2012, 04:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Small gas smell for those driving behind you, other than that I never smell it unless I have to come to an abrupt stop and the gas cloud passes me for a whiff.

If that smell bothers you, you're a sally.

And yes, loud indeed. lil raspy but under WOT sounding like NASCAR.
Old 11-01-2012, 12:57 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by cranny
So you're going WOT and I assume moving at a good rate of speed. A stock LS1 at WOT is already pretty fast. So, while your moving at a high rate of speed going past some coffee you were able to look into it and witness some guy falling off his chair from your loud raspy car. Now moving at that speed, you would have been a hundred feet away from that coffee shop before the guy even hit the floor.

Unless he was WOT in 1st gear just taking off... WOT dosnt mean he had to be redlined in 5th gear
Old 11-01-2012, 02:28 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by cranny

The simple answer to your long and pointless ramble is I know the owner of the coffee shop. He told me the next day what happen.
Old 11-01-2012, 02:43 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by TyCZ28
Unless he was WOT in 1st gear just taking off... WOT dosnt mean he had to be redlined in 5th gear
And yes It was at a stop light and I didnt rev it past 4 grand in first gear. Anyway I thought it was funny

The setup really is too loud to have fun with on the street though.

Last edited by MikeWS6; 11-01-2012 at 03:08 AM.
Old 11-01-2012, 03:13 AM
TECH Regular

plus a cammed/longtubed/lm1 setup is crazy loud. a stock motor with longtubes and lm1 is crazy loud, let alone a cammed motor
Old 11-01-2012, 11:38 AM
TECH Apprentice

The smell is weird at first but after a little while you'll get used to it
Old 11-01-2012, 12:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 171 Likes on 119 Posts

+1 on NOT going with Flowmaster. Get a quality ORY and catback and it will reduce the rasp a lot.

I went from SLP LTs, SLP ORY, GMMG to Kooks stepped 1 3/4"-1 7/8" LTs, X, TDs. Went TD to eliminate RASP although the GMMG did a good job taming it and was nice and loud at WOT.

Quick Reply: For the Guys With No Cat F-Body Exhausts