Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dual cut-outs, any danger?

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2012, 09:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'll just ask the guy at the shop, I would think right before the x though
Old 10-30-2012, 09:52 PM
12 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I'll be putting mine where the humps in the floor are for the factory cats. It's a little close to the o2's but I'm going to be moving them forward because the edelbrock headers I have locates them in the extension pipe way after the collectors. I had problems with o2's there.
Old 10-30-2012, 10:46 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE=dr_
.....Having said that, when you do place them, just make sure they are far enough away from the O2 sensors so you don't burn them out with the fresh air. I forgot the rule of thumb... maybe 12" away from the O2's? I wouldn't put them right off the cfollector though.[/QUOTE]

"""I forgot the rule of thumb... maybe 12" away from the O2's? I wouldn't put them right off the cfollector..."
I think you need 15-16" after the front o2's, I placed my cutouts 16" behind them, I placed the cutouts in the 90 deg bends of the crossover (y-pipe) so when open the exh flow is stright out the headers
one problem I found is that when running closed I shift @ 6500 with limit set a @6800 and never hit the limiter, with them open on the 2-3 shift I hit the limiter must lower the 2-3 down to 6200 to stay off the limiter, pick up about 1/10 and about 1 mph
to each his/her own,
Johnny

Last edited by SS SLP2; 10-30-2012 at 11:27 PM.
Old 10-31-2012, 07:15 AM
TECH Addict

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

When I cranked up my car after installing heads/cam and ran it open headers it sounded like absolute garbage. It was very distorted so I'm curious to see why people like that sound. Don't get me wrong I run a dumped setup with a cam and it's loud now but it's got tone to it. Like mentioned earlier I don't see a point in it but hey bro it's your car and your money so go have fun with it.

Give us a sound clip when you get it all installed!
Old 10-31-2012, 09:05 AM
TECH Fanatic

Don't think I'll be doing open headers at al times. I like this setup cause its adjustable, barely crack it open or hold the switch till it is wide open. I ran one on my y setup going to my magnaflow on the old setup and the sound didn't bother me. We'll see..
Old 10-31-2012, 12:06 PM
12 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by sscamaroburn02
When I cranked up my car after installing heads/cam and ran it open headers it sounded like absolute garbage. It was very distorted so I'm curious to see why people like that sound. Don't get me wrong I run a dumped setup with a cam and it's loud now but it's got tone to it. Like mentioned earlier I don't see a point in it but hey bro it's your car and your money so go have fun with it.

Give us a sound clip when you get it all installed!
That "absolute garbage" is pure sex to most people on this board. If it could be gotten away with, I'm sure some would never run anything but open headers. To me, there is nothing like the sound of a big cam, high compression engine breathing thru open headers...but it will get annoying over time.
Old 10-31-2012, 12:09 PM
TECH Addict

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

It's abnoxiously loud with no tone to it. I love loud cars don't get me wrong but would never fly on the streets just waay to much. Just my opinion.
Old 10-31-2012, 02:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

I picked up 21rwhp with dual cutouts right off the header collectors over an SLP loudmouth 1 on back to back dyno pulls with my old H/C/I car...It does have a drastic affect on your Air/Fuel ratio though...and with the cutouts in that place under the car, there isnt much space and they can take alot of abuse. I was having to have mine fixed every 5 or 6 months...

Quick Reply: Dual cut-outs, any danger?