Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dual cut-outs, any danger?

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2012, 08:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Dual cut-outs, any danger?

Ran across a deal locally and picked up 2 electrics to put on my x setup. Is there any danger running these about a foot off the collectors?? I didn't know if the huge loss in back pressure was something to worry about..
Old 10-28-2012, 10:04 AM
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Depending on the setup it may or may not help you much but I see no reason you couldn't run them even if it's just for the extra sound when your cruising around.
Old 10-28-2012, 10:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

Thats all I really want is.sound. I've read a few posts that claim top end power is actually increased somewhat. Car is full bolt on with 59cc stage 2 patriots and 224/230 comp. You all think right off header or after x before the bullets?
Old 10-28-2012, 11:13 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Probably gonna feel a big loss in bottom end with them opened.. only difference you will feel.
Old 10-28-2012, 11:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

4k stall should make up for most of that. I won't ever use it unless at red lights and maybe a few hard pulls
Old 10-28-2012, 11:54 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

true the stall would help:p
Old 10-29-2012, 11:12 AM
TECH Addict

I am going to assume you have a dumped X-pipe setup. If that is the case, I have a question for you. The X-pipe is there to provide scavenging, and thereby improve power. In a dumped setup adding two cutouts ahead of the X would eliminate about 2.5 feet of pipe and the X. So you want to spend money to negate the value of the X, and make your setup more complicated in a space challenged envirenoment. I guess I just don't see the point.
Old 10-29-2012, 12:17 PM
TECH Addict

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I don't see the point of this in a TD dumped setup. Now if you were running pipes out the back then cutouts after the X would make more sense. You still have the power but the sound is greatly improved when you want to show off. This is something I was thinking of doing with my dumped setup.
Old 10-29-2012, 05:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

The purpose being I can get loud whenever I want, really loud. And as far as messing up my X-pipe by putting in 2 cut outs, you have got me totally lost bro..
Old 10-29-2012, 10:26 PM
The Scammer Hammer

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Is this set-up dumped at the axle?

If so: Why would you even want them? SSCamaro99_3 is exactly right. The X pipe PROMOTES scavenging by pulling from one cylinder bank or the other. The cutouts may very well HURT power.
Old 10-30-2012, 04:11 AM
12 Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by dr_whigham
Is this set-up dumped at the axle?

If so: Why would you even want them? SSCamaro99_3 is exactly right. The X pipe PROMOTES scavenging by pulling from one cylinder bank or the other. The cutouts may very well HURT power.
He already stated it's for the sound aspect. Even on a dumped dual setup, the engine will breathe better up top with the cut outs. Down low he might see a loss of torque but if it's for sound while cruising, I doubt he will miss the little amount of torque.

Also, explain to me why purpose built race cars run open headers if the x pipe would provide better power? Now, I'm not saying the x is pointless but when your hammering on it at the strip, open headers or dual cut outs will almost always show an improvement in time.
Old 10-30-2012, 05:10 AM
The Scammer Hammer

Purpose built race cars also have been known to use a Tri-Y type of header.

*If* it's dumped at the axles, I don't see where he's going to be picking up anything of note by circumventing another 2ft of pipe.
Old 10-30-2012, 07:20 AM
12 Second Club

I think he is looking for the "loud" sound, rather than tone. I'm putting cut outs on my dumped duals for that reason as well, and to let it have all it wants at the track. I can't see gaining a whole lot, but it's worth a shot.
Old 10-30-2012, 10:33 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by bww3588
Also, explain to me why purpose built race cars run open headers if the x pipe would provide better power? Now, I'm not saying the x is pointless but when your hammering on it at the strip, open headers or dual cut outs will almost always show an improvement in time.
Purpose built drag race cars usually don't use them.

Purpose built oval and road race cars do tend to use them.

I really don't care what he does. I just don't see much of a point for the money and complexity of fitting it all in there. I doubt he is going to pick up much volume over a dumped bullet setup. It will just be less refined, and a little louder. As far as picking up at the drag strip, that could be dependent on where his rpms recover and how the cutouts have changed the powerband.
Old 10-30-2012, 04:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

If the cut outs are closed, it will be no differe nt than what the car is as it sits.. got 2 New DHM electrics for 120$ so why not?? Not looking for tone, just something to play with at WOT or at red lights, no matter though, I don't see it hurting the cars performance. Seems it would only help up top and the 4k stall would make up for difference down low at track. I'm no engineer though..
Old 10-30-2012, 08:18 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by SSCamaro99_3
Purpose built drag race cars usually don't use them.

Purpose built oval and road race cars do tend to use them.

I really don't care what he does. I just don't see much of a point for the money and complexity of fitting it all in there. I doubt he is going to pick up much volume over a dumped bullet setup. It will just be less refined, and a little louder. As far as picking up at the drag strip, that could be dependent on where his rpms recover and how the cutouts have changed the powerband.
open headers is considerably louder than dumped bullets...ask my neighbors. Lot
Old 10-30-2012, 08:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Bmw, where did you place your cut outs??
Old 10-30-2012, 08:39 PM
The Scammer Hammer

You've already made up your mind to use them, I see... However, not that I'm YOU, but if I was, and I knew I got them at that good of a deal, and knowing that it's simply going to be a sound difference, I would sell them in the classifieds, make money, and buy a part my car would actually benefit from.

Having said that, when you do place them, just make sure they are far enough away from the O2 sensors so you don't burn them out with the fresh air. I forgot the rule of thumb... maybe 12" away from the O2's? I wouldn't put them right off the collector though.
Old 10-30-2012, 09:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'll probably put them as far back as possible. Don't really need anything else for my car at the moment though Doc or I would probably do just as you said. Plus, I've already cut a hole in my console top for the switch, no turning around now..
Old 10-30-2012, 09:27 PM
The Scammer Hammer

Originally Posted by JustAFooL
I'll probably put them as far back as possible. Don't really need anything else for my car at the moment though Doc or I would probably do just as you said. Plus, I've already cut a hole in my console top for the switch, no turning around now..
Nothing wrong with being commited

Only places I can think to put them (fit them) would either be right before the X, or right after the X, before the mufflers.

Quick Reply: Dual cut-outs, any danger?