Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Exhaust set-up thoughts.

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2012, 12:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by FBGSU02
Farm out have no shop nor tools. I am loving the dynomax bullets. I am scratching the magnaflows and going with them. Do i need the 16.5" bullets or the 23.3"?
I am going to search this week for a reputable shop. What prices are average? So I will know. I will have the collector/reducers, universal x-pipe kit that goes to axles, mufflers and tips. All they do is up over the axle and of course hang the exhaust. Thanks for the great feedback.
If your placement is tucked up behind the bumper. You dont want to go over 20" total length or 14" length in the muffler body.
Old 10-29-2012, 12:53 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by omc8
Well you need to find a shop that is experienced in custom bending and is willing to do the work .Most shops just know how to do OEM replacement and do not want or know how to do what we are talking about. Most shops are not going to want to install your parts, alot of them are going to look at you like your stupid when you tell them what you want TDs 3" OTA.
I'm assuming a few will act that way. Hopefully one will bite.
Old 10-29-2012, 01:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'm assuming a few will act that way. Hopefully one will bite.
Just a suggestion try here on LS1tech in Regional section ,to see if any body in your area has had TDs done close to you . Or talk to guys at car shows that have had custom work done on their cars.
Old 10-29-2012, 02:03 PM
TECH Apprentice

Well I went to one shop and they said they custom build x-pipes and state they are true x-pipes. they state to run under axle its will cost $350. thats me supplying mufflers and tips.
Old 10-29-2012, 02:04 PM
TECH Apprentice

Just a suggestion try here on LS1tech in Regional section ,to see if any body in your area has had TDs done close to you . Or talk to guys at car shows that have had custom work done on their cars.
Good call.
Old 10-29-2012, 02:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well I went to one shop and they said they custom build x-pipes and state they are true x-pipes. they state to run under axle its will cost $350. thats me supplying mufflers and tips.
Don't do a True X , under the axel usually looks like crap and hangs too low.They have quoted $350 because there is not much work involve to do want there talking about. Now if you find an good shop to do OTA and make your X for that , jump on it thats a good deal!
Old 10-29-2012, 02:30 PM
TECH Apprentice

Ok i am going to buy my own x-pipe.

What about the Summit narrow X-Pipe?

Last edited by FBGSU02; 10-29-2012 at 03:06 PM.
Old 10-29-2012, 04:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Ok i am going to buy my own x-pipe.

What about the Summit narrow X-Pipe?
Whats part # on summit
Old 10-29-2012, 04:18 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

done use the kooks.. i have it and i want to be one of the few people with it hahaha it sounds MEAN and deep... My SS is stock except for a lid, Longtubes, ORY, and the muffler and you can hear it coming from a long ways away... it has a much better tone than the dynomax and the magnaflow... its like the deepness of a bullet at idle but its as loud as an SLP at WOT.. but deep loud not annoying and raspy
Old 10-29-2012, 04:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

My preference is long narrow parallel X on both ends . But if you place it closer to the motor like Kooks it needs to be splayed on the inlet and parallel on the outlet.
Old 10-29-2012, 06:40 PM
TECH Apprentice

Yea dynomax is out after reading reviews. I'm thinking borla xr1, magnaflow, or kooks. Need help here there are so many different types of each I need a little help.

I have read really good things about the borla xr1 but no clue which ones to get. Any feedback is appreciated. Thanks for all the great responses.

Last edited by FBGSU02; 10-29-2012 at 07:10 PM.
Old 10-29-2012, 07:09 PM
TECH Resident

ill see if i can get a video of the kooks.... it really does sound good.. nice and mellow at idle and deep and throaty while accelerating some friends think its way too obnoxious but its just right imho
Old 10-29-2012, 08:43 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by TyCZ28
ill see if i can get a video of the kooks.... it really does sound good.. nice and mellow at idle and deep and throaty while accelerating some friends think its way too obnoxious but its just right imho
Man that would've great and give me specific parts numbers on what you used. Thanks again everyone.

I'm also considering the Borla XR1 but not sure which one to get. There are the xr1 sportsman, multicore, s-type no freaking clue.

Last edited by FBGSU02; 10-29-2012 at 09:33 PM.
Old 10-31-2012, 11:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

Man that would've great and give me specific parts numbers on what you used. Thanks again everyone.

I'm also considering the Borla XR1 but not sure which one to get. There are the xr1 sportsman, multicore, s-type no freaking clue.
Go with the XR1 excellent choice . Borla also has a XS Pro which is even better, but the the problem with it is the case is 9 1/2 wide and will not fit where we are talking about. Width needs to be under 8" to tuck up nicely in this area.
Old 10-31-2012, 12:30 PM
Captain Double Post

From experience if ya go duals run them to the back,having dump duals will get on your nerves,there is no rasp with a x pipe so im not sure why everyone is saying there is less with a h,h will sound smoother and a better tone but i have always prefered x,and with a ms3 its going to be loud,i have a ms4,my fav is the sweetthunders ,borla s,and magnaflow bullets sound good as well,borla xr1s sound good but its all in what your looking for
Old 10-31-2012, 01:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Default Borla XR1

To answer your question the one you want is the Sportsman XR1 , they are a little louder than multicore and the XS pro. The Multicore is quieter and a bit pricey. The XR1 # 40085 is round , may want to consider # 40944 which is oval case width is 7 7/8 which will be a tight fit on the driver side if IIRC , but should work. The # 40085 will defiantly work, If you want to go oval do a test mock up before order.
Old 11-01-2012, 12:40 AM
12 Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by BOBS99SS
From experience if ya go duals run them to the back,having dump duals will get on your nerves,there is no rasp with a x pipe so im not sure why everyone is saying there is less with a h,h will sound smoother and a better tone but i have always prefered x,and with a ms3 its going to be loud,i have a ms4,my fav is the sweetthunders ,borla s,and magnaflow bullets sound good as well,borla xr1s sound good but its all in what your looking for
this is subjective. What annoys you, could be exactly what the next person likes. I had bullets on my dumped Tsp duals with an ms4 cam, and it was great. Never once did it annoy me.

Under the axle looks like **** and is a pain in the *** for clearance, either dump them, or go over the axle.
Old 11-01-2012, 05:09 AM
The Scammer Hammer

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

I'm a fan of Magnaflow 14419's myself. Just like the borla's but a bit cheaper. Still stainless, 4" round, and 3" in/out.
Old 11-01-2012, 09:28 AM
TECH Apprentice

I just heard a 2001 Camaro SS with true duals. Had ebay x-pipe and classic chambered medium powersticks over axle setup. That car is by far the best LS1 I have ever heard. Really deep and throaty. If you go to their website and scroll to the bottom of the sights and sounds page and listen to white WS6 it sounded like that but even better in person.
Old 11-01-2012, 04:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

To answer your question the one you want is the Sportsman XR1 , they are a little louder than multicore and the XS pro. The Multicore is quieter and a bit pricey. The XR1 # 40085 is round , may want to consider # 40944 which is oval case width is 7 7/8 which will be a tight fit on the driver side if IIRC , but should work. The # 40085 will defiantly work, If you want to go oval do a test mock up before order.
Borla has nice deep tone down low is relatively quite at lower engine speeds and flows with the very best performance mufflers. But there are other good alternatives too , there is even one good non- name brand that does an excellent job. Mufflers are a matter of preference, just pick a good one. Muffler selection is not as important as a good design and X pipe. If you happen to pick a muffler you don't like , its much easier to cut them off and replace than fixing the intermediate pipes or complete system. But try to get it right the first time. .

Quick Reply: Exhaust set-up thoughts.