Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Exhaust leak under load? Header gaskets?

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2012, 04:06 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Exhaust leak under load? Header gaskets?

My car sounds raspy as hell like it has an exhaust leak around 1.5-2k under acceleration. Can this occur when the header gaskets go bad? Its been happening to me since i put on this POS ORY from TSP.

Sounds IDENTICAL to this. Anyone have any ideas, no black soot anywhere, tightened the **** out of the collector clamps (broke one bolt yesteryday, replaced it today) on the ORY the rest of the ORY is welded up and does not leak. Im stumped, looks like theres a bit of black soot around the header gasket but not sure if thats whats causing this ****.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQ1weM2Epls
Old 10-30-2012, 05:13 PM
LS1TECH & Trucks Sponsor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

LOL I am glad you appreciate our Off road Y-pipes. What you are hearing is the lack of catalytic converters on a car with long tube headers and a y-pipe. It has a very noticeable rasp at 1500-2000 RPM. Only way to get rid of it is to get a catted setup or an x-pipe. This has been a known issue for years.
Old 10-30-2012, 11:44 PM
Banned

Thanks, the fitment issues its a nice piece.
Old 10-31-2012, 10:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Put a powerstick muffler in the I pipe and the rasp will either disappear or be barely noticable. Or put a new merge on the Y pipe.
Old 10-31-2012, 10:41 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by adamantium
...looks like theres a bit of black soot around the header gasket but not sure if thats whats causing this ****.
Black soot around header gaskets does indicate that they're leaking. Should probably be addressed. Clean it up first and see if it comes back.
Old 10-31-2012, 06:12 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by BudRacing
Black soot around header gaskets does indicate that they're leaking. Should probably be addressed. Clean it up first and see if it comes back.
It looks like a small outline of black but i can't reach it to clean with a rag its weird.

Originally Posted by farmington
Put a powerstick muffler in the I pipe and the rasp will either disappear or be barely noticable. Or put a new merge on the Y pipe.
It has a magnaflow bullet at the end of it. Ill probably just have a local shop fab up a True dual setup later down the road.

I asked about the exhaust leak because i keep having nearly new Denso o2 sensors throw SES lights. Its VERY frustrating. Thanks for chiming in guys.

Last edited by adamantium; 10-31-2012 at 08:00 PM.
Old 10-31-2012, 06:58 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Header gasket leak will sound like a snapping/banging noise under load. Popcorn snapping sound out the back is rasp. Most Y pipes actually create rasp. A Flowmaster merge, or a quality merge collector is a very effective way to get rid of it. Cats help a lot too, but they just mask most of it. Rasp is "formed" when you slam two pipes together in a cheap Y-pipe. The pulses or pressures combine and create that sound (For lack of a better explanation.)

Example of a cheap Y-pipe.

@ 0:22 is rasp.
Old 10-31-2012, 07:58 PM
Banned

Yup^ that is exactly the annoying sound i get, its ALWAYS under load BUT it sounds like its coming right under me and not out the rear. Which is why i thought i had an exhaust leak. Ive tightened the hell out of the Clamps that connect the ORY to the LT collectors so i have no clue wtf is going on, which is why i thought maybe the Header gaskets are whats causing it, i have no idea what else it could be. Thanks for chiming in bayer-z28.
Old 11-01-2012, 09:26 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I've got the same rasp on my setup with the cutouts open. I've got what looks like a cheap x-pipe where the resonator used to be.
Old 11-01-2012, 03:53 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by BudRacing
I've got the same rasp on my setup with the cutouts open. I've got what looks like a cheap x-pipe where the resonator used to be.
Does it look like a dynomax x-pipe?
Old 11-01-2012, 04:25 PM
TECH Veteran

^ What was your previous setup? It may just be the Y-pipe itself.. Sorry TSP.. Either thin or else the "Slam-pipe" design.. ARH Makes a really nice Y (but for their headers.) But most of us just fab one our selves with a Flowmaster merge, or send it out to have it fabbed.
Old 11-01-2012, 05:07 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by bayer-z28
^ What was your previous setup? It may just be the Y-pipe itself.. Sorry TSP.. Either thin or else the "Slam-pipe" design.. ARH Makes a really nice Y (but for their headers.) But most of us just fab one our selves with a Flowmaster merge, or send it out to have it fabbed.
Yeah i think its the y pipe, i was thinking about upgrading to a flowmaster y merge and a 4 inch dump to kill the rasp, but ill just save my $ for now for other things i have in mind.
Old 11-01-2012, 05:16 PM
TECH Veteran

Yeah.. That's one of the best setups for a Y-pipe, minus the dump.. I'd leave it just with a cutout.

Like this:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...heads-cam.html

Quick Reply: Exhaust leak under load? Header gaskets?