Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Catch Can Construction Questions...

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2004, 06:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Catch Can Construction Questions...

I would like to make my own and have seen several pics of others' catch cans. Is it as simple as a can with an inlet and outlet? The AMW can has the slotted sides and that metal filter thing. Is any of that needed? Does the position of the can need to be about even with the TB and valve covers? I want to mount in somewhere a little lower like down by the T-stat. Thanks
Old 04-11-2004, 06:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There have been a few people who have made there own catch cans, to be honest I just can't see why anyone would want to make there own when there's a superior catch can on the market like the AMW catch can. Yes, you can save a few bucks but in the long run you're just hurting yourself ( actually your engine ), I remember one member built his own and thought it was great, after a couple of days he reposted saying not to make one like he's because it failed. Do what you want but you can't beat the AMW catch can. JMO

Al
Old 04-11-2004, 07:17 PM
TECH Senior Member

Well, why would you buy one unless you can make one... If it works it works, if it doesn't, well take it off. Only lost about $10 and gained some knowledge.

Anyways, back to the original question...
Old 04-11-2004, 09:32 PM
TECH Apprentice

I can not think of a reason that placing it low would make a substantial performance difference. I know I would not want it low [if you have a valve to drain the oil] due to the difficulty of getting under the drain.

Yes, it is as simple as an inlet and an outlet. The idea is to slow the mixture down so the oil can come out of suspension, and from being pulled in the engine as a liquid. I placed the inlet 1/3 - 1/4 from the top and the outlet as high as possible.
Old 04-11-2004, 10:51 PM
11 Second Club

An air/water separator will work better than a homemade can.
Old 04-11-2004, 11:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

I've tried a few different designs - an empty can will not stop the oil, it has to have a filter. Also, it should not be a PITA to change the filter. I'm making a new one from an electrical junction box (PVC), from the hardware store - the top screws on, and has a rubber gasket, it's real solid. Using foam rubber for filtering.
Old 04-12-2004, 12:02 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by patSS/00
I've tried a few different designs - an empty can will not stop the oil, it has to have a filter. Also, it should not be a PITA to change the filter. I'm making a new one from an electrical junction box (PVC), from the hardware store - the top screws on, and has a rubber gasket, it's real solid. Using foam rubber for filtering.
Where does the filter go? On the inlet, outlet, or somewhere in the can? And what kind of filter is needed? I am too thinking about making one from PVC, then if it works out making one from aluminum.

And I heard if you mount it too low it will create a siphoning effect... Is this true?
Old 04-12-2004, 01:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

I'm using a foam filter for a shop vac, just cutting it into strips to fill inside the box. It's very porous, will not stop the air flow. I've also thought about using those pot scrubber things. Don't know about siphoning - but I had one for awhile that was mounted sort of low in front of the radiator, didn't do squat (it didn't have any filtering).
Old 04-12-2004, 01:38 AM
TECH Senior Member

Where are you placing the filter? Does it just go between the inlet and outlet, somewhere in can. If I bought a little filter and put in on the outlet tube, inside the can, will that work? What does the filter need to be able to do. Thanks.

Originally Posted by patSS/00
I'm using a foam filter for a shop vac, just cutting it into strips to fill inside the box. It's very porous, will not stop the air flow. I've also thought about using those pot scrubber things. Don't know about siphoning - but I had one for awhile that was mounted sort of low in front of the radiator, didn't do squat (it didn't have any filtering).