Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Kooks vs. TSP Headers

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2012, 01:04 PM
TECH Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well I just took the plunge and ordered kooks 1-7/8" headers and a kooks ORY. I guess I have to buy a muffler for the I-pipe now to quite it down!
Old 11-27-2012, 11:24 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MarylandSpeed

There's a reason why KOOKS updated their merge collector design and is a subject that is often over-looked - especially when comparing TSP with KOOKS.

Within the merge collector, you'll notice a narrowing of the primaries that lead into the end of the collector. This helps the exhaust pressure maintain a relatively high flow compared to the merge collector found in TSP's design. If you had 4 primaries that dumped into a collector with no narrowing, as in TSP's headers, the high velocity of the gases dump right into that large area thus reducing pressure/flow and ultimately torque/hp.

Problem is, merge collectors are expensive to make because of the intricate design. Google the price of universal merge collectors like the ones found on KOOKS headers, you'll be amazed to find out they cost anywhere from 250-500 bucks! Again, that's just for the merge collectors!!

This is the reason why I chose KOOKS headers. However, I probably would not have chosen KOOKS if it were not for Maryland's great price when you call for a quote.

Here's some good info on the subject:

"Technology to make a good header has been around for 30-plus years. These days, making a top-notch header is very much a question of refinements to eek out whatever potential may be remaining. One area of research that has paid dividends in the past decade is in the collector design. Example number 1 on a system built by Kook's Headers is a 4-into-1 merge collector (arrowed). Dyno testing this type of collector, versus a regular parallel one, shows that the merge collector tends to pull up torque from the lower speed range with ever decreasing amounts, thus delivering a fatter torque curve but not necessarily any more peak hp."

Read more: http://www.popularhotrodding.com/eng...#ixzz2DUZDjlCF

(Page 2 - Last paragraph) http://www.superchevy.com/technical/...xh/index1.html

http://www.carcraft.com/techarticles...04_cams_carbs/
Old 11-28-2012, 01:21 AM
Super Hulk Smash

Received 138 Likes on 115 Posts

If you want a Y-Pipe setup, I'd look at ARH. Their merge collector is even better and their Y-Pipe is much better.
Old 11-28-2012, 08:31 AM
TECH Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The price difference between Kooks and ARH just isn't worth it. Also, everyone bashes kooks merge Y pipe but I just got mine yesterday and it really doesn't look that bad. It's not a flowmaster merge and I'd ratehr one like ARH or TSP but really if you're taking two 3" pipes and merging into a single 3", i really don't see how the merge matters all that much. The bottom line is you have a single 3" pipe for your exhaust to pass through and that will be the limiting factor. I'm just sticking with my Y pipe setup and GMMG since I'm getting AI heads & cam at the same time and just can't afford the Kooks TD's right now. Hopefully next year I'll get the TD's and sell the Y pipe setup.
Old 06-13-2024, 11:57 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Kooks vs Speed Headers

I see you said @MarylandSpeed gave you a good price on Kooks, correct? Do you know why it shows they are banned? Are they still in business?

Originally Posted by 02TransAm/Batmobile
There's a reason why KOOKS updated their merge collector design and is a subject that is often over-looked - especially when comparing TSP with KOOKS.

Within the merge collector, you'll notice a narrowing of the primaries that lead into the end of the collector. This helps the exhaust pressure maintain a relatively high flow compared to the merge collector found in TSP's design. If you had 4 primaries that dumped into a collector with no narrowing, as in TSP's headers, the high velocity of the gases dump right into that large area thus reducing pressure/flow and ultimately torque/hp.

Problem is, merge collectors are expensive to make because of the intricate design. Google the price of universal merge collectors like the ones found on KOOKS headers, you'll be amazed to find out they cost anywhere from 250-500 bucks! Again, that's just for the merge collectors!!

This is the reason why I chose KOOKS headers. However, I probably would not have chosen KOOKS if it were not for Maryland's great price when you call for a quote.

Here's some good info on the subject:

"Technology to make a good header has been around for 30-plus years. These days, making a top-notch header is very much a question of refinements to eek out whatever potential may be remaining. One area of research that has paid dividends in the past decade is in the collector design. Example number 1 on a system built by Kook's Headers is a 4-into-1 merge collector (arrowed). Dyno testing this type of collector, versus a regular parallel one, shows that the merge collector tends to pull up torque from the lower speed range with ever decreasing amounts, thus delivering a fatter torque curve but not necessarily any more peak hp."

Read more: http://www.popularhotrodding.com/eng...#ixzz2DUZDjlCF

(Page 2 - Last paragraph) http://www.superchevy.com/technical/...xh/index1.html

http://www.carcraft.com/techarticles...04_cams_carbs/
Old 06-14-2024, 06:25 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 241 Likes on 197 Posts

old thread bump ? maryland speed got caught doing shady things.....especially with kooks headers.....kooks got pissed because of the mad customers complaining to kooks about their kooks orders from maryland speed.....i was one of them !!!!

i heard they did go out of business

Quick Reply: Kooks vs. TSP Headers