Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need help: Header/Exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2012, 11:21 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help: Header/Exhaust

I have a 01 ws6 and i'm looking to put new headers and exhaust on it. It's still completely stock and I'm overwhelmed with all the options. I was thinking about pacesetter headers, TSP ORY and magnaflow catback but i'm not to sure. So that's why I am asking the experts on this one. I want to know your guys opinions on the meanest, best sounding exhaust. Besides trual duals. Thanks
Old 11-12-2012, 11:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Exhaust sound is all an opinion. What one person likes, another will not. If there was a law that dictated how an LS1 should sound there wouldn't be all the options out there that have overwhelmed you. I will go ahead and say that you don't need to cheap out on it. Get whatever it is you truely want the first time around. If you just settle for something because you're short on funds and need to fix your addiction you'll just be disappointed and end up selling it later at a loss and paying for what you originally wanted costing more money in the long run. Personnaly I'm not a fan of TD's and preffer the setup I currently run. Also, as complicated or as easy as installing them may be (not sure of your abilities), if you have a nice assortment of common hand tools and a few jack stands, doing this yourself is very easy, especially if a buddy can lend a hand and should save you a nice amount of money on the install. Take it for what it is and do with it what you like but here you go just as a reference:

Kooks 1 7/8's, Kooks ORY into a GMMG catback. Hope this helps.

Old 11-12-2012, 11:51 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I'd consider the TSP 1-7/8" headers, and the SLP “PowerFlo” Exhaust System.
Old 11-13-2012, 02:17 AM
Super Hulk Smash

Received 138 Likes on 115 Posts

TSP 1-7/8, TSP Y-Pipe, and the Magnaflow is what I'm doing and it's an all stainless setup that won't break the bank. Having a Trans Am, the quad tip option is badass.

It'll be tame driving around but sound pretty good when you get on it. Plus, that setup should be good for heads/cam and not choke it out or become insanely obnoxious.

GMMG sounds good, but a lot of folks decide they don't love it once they start modding the car. ORY, cam, heads, etc make it really loud and really raspy. Same things will just wake up the Magnaflow (though it'll still rasp).

Stainless construction, awesome tips, normal driving mellow sound, WOT scream, and high flow make the Magnaflow a solid choice.
Old 11-13-2012, 10:15 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by JakeFusion™
TSP 1-7/8, TSP Y-Pipe, and the Magnaflow is what I'm doing and it's an all stainless setup that won't break the bank. Having a Trans Am, the quad tip option is badass.

It'll be tame driving around but sound pretty good when you get on it. Plus, that setup should be good for heads/cam and not choke it out or become insanely obnoxious.

GMMG sounds good, but a lot of folks decide they don't love it once they start modding the car. ORY, cam, heads, etc make it really loud and really raspy. Same things will just wake up the Magnaflow (though it'll still rasp).

Stainless construction, awesome tips, normal driving mellow sound, WOT scream, and high flow make the Magnaflow a solid choice.
I think I might go with that set-up. Which Magnaflow tips are you using? Are you going to use a catted ORY or non
Old 11-16-2012, 08:52 PM
Super Hulk Smash

Received 138 Likes on 115 Posts

TSP ORY with their 1-7/8" headers. And the Magnaflow I'm looking at has the quad 4" tip #16723. If you look in the sponsor sale section, several vendors have it for $599 right now shipped like RPM Motorsports.

I'm still thinking GMMG (from Madhammer) for $625 with some 6LE Corsa Clone tips Quad 4" $170 and a stainless Magnaflow 3" bullet $80... but then the price is a lot more than what the Magnaflow would be.

I plan to run a decent sized cam, so I don't really want cats, and without cats the GMMG needs something (bullet or another chambered muffler). It sounds insane tho.

Those are the two options I'm looking at... just not sure how loud I want it (and a 3" QTP cutout is always possible with the Magnaflow too - crack it a little or a lot and get more sound).
Old 11-16-2012, 11:12 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If i were to do it all over again,

I would do a 1 7/8 header.. Either TSP or Kooks/Arh..

I honestly wasnt happy with my magnaflow. It was too quiet for me. I would consider borla over magnaflow. But my favorite sounding is duals dumped..
Old 11-17-2012, 08:13 AM
TECH Apprentice

From what I read true duels have no rasp and give a nice deep tone. So ordered my true duel setup for $320 ( thats x-pipe, mufflers, resonators, reducers) installed by local shop for another $150. I if you want a y-pipe set-up I would go with GMMG, with a bullet muffler in the I-pipe takes out the rasp. There is someone with this set-up that has a classic chambered muffler in the I-pipe. ls1sounds.com also. FYI: cars sound different in person than on video.
Old 11-17-2012, 09:04 AM
TECH Addict

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I had GMMG and liked it till I put in a cam, after that it was way too loud. I couldn't stand it and decided to go TD's. Best sound IMO and there is 0 rasp. Also GMMG is really heavy, my Kooks TD's only weigh 4 lbs more than my old Kooks aluminized y-pipe and GMMG.
Old 11-17-2012, 10:15 PM
Teching In

Ebay headers with Texas speed y pipe. Stainless headers from ebay cost me $180 shipped. They slid in easy. Didn't have to mess with the steering linkage or the starter and they look great! I have the Slp loudmouth 2 and it sounds great, but is much louder now with the headers and y pipe.

Quick Reply: Need help: Header/Exhaust