Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

True Duals Under Axle

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2012, 03:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default True Duals Under Axle

I currently have longtubes, no cats, 3" X-pipe and bullet mufflers (not sure on brand, they're "Lane's True Duals") dumped at the axle.

Sounds amazing but is a hair too loud for daily driving and coming home late.

Instead of hacking the whole thing up to re-run it on the passenger side and over the axle, what about cutting the turndowns off, welding up a 3 bolt flange, and running under the axle pipes to the tips?

That way, I can remove when needed to work on the car.

But what about clearance issues? My car is lowered and don't want to be smacking the hell out of the exhaust over bumps when the rear end drops down.

Maybe I could look into some 3" circle to more oval (flat) piping while its under the axle for more clearance, then back to 3" circle before the tips?

Anyone have pics of their under axle true duals? I only have a couple I found but nothing about clearances or what I want to do.

The other thing is I'm thinking about putting a set of mufflers right before the tips.

Maybe like the SLP Powerflo exhaust, using those or maybe just another set of Dynomax bullets?

I heard a true dual H pipe setup with Pypes Race Pro mufflers and it sounded SICK so I really want to try those, but never heard them on a LS car.

Opinions?
Old 11-14-2012, 03:48 PM
On The Tree

My car isn't lowered but here's a pic.

When I scrape it's not at the axle it's more like right around the bell housing and right after the headers

Old 11-14-2012, 06:18 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You could have issues with ground clearance if your running the pipes below the axle
Old 11-14-2012, 06:37 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Read in the sticky about true duals under the axle. Great info in there.
Old 11-14-2012, 06:43 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Agreed^
Old 11-14-2012, 11:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Just went through the sticky, all 55 pages lol.

There's only about 5 guys with pictures (that still work anyway) running TD's under the axle.

Looks like for the most part there's really no issues as long as it's done correctly.

I would like to see more detailed pictures though, my exhaust guy can't do mandrel bends, only crush bent, and I want it to look super snazzy from the rear.

So I'm trying to plan out what mandrel bends I should buy to have him cut/reweld to make it look good.
Old 11-15-2012, 12:10 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

I made a set. We flanged the turndowns also so he could pull the tailpipes off and re-install the down spouts in the event that he wanted it louder. It turned out nice but was pretty low to the ground. The good thing about being sync'd up with the wheels is the car rises on most bumps keeping the exhaust from hitting.
Old 11-15-2012, 08:21 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by happysem
Just went through the sticky, all 55 pages lol.

There's only about 5 guys with pictures (that still work anyway) running TD's under the axle.

Looks like for the most part there's really no issues as long as it's done correctly.

I would like to see more detailed pictures though, my exhaust guy can't do mandrel bends, only crush bent, and I want it to look super snazzy from the rear.

So I'm trying to plan out what mandrel bends I should buy to have him cut/reweld to make it look good.
Here is what Im getting when I get my 1 7/8 headers. Going to have a shop here put it together. - http://www.jegs.com/i/Flowmaster/389...oductId=760019

Quick Reply: True Duals Under Axle