Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

6.0 flexplate on my 5.3 HELPPP!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2012, 12:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 41 Likes on 20 Posts

Default 6.0 flexplate on my 5.3 HELPPP!!!!!!

I currently have my motor on the engine stand, yesterday I bought a 6.0 flex plate from an LQ 4 engine. Today I wanted to hook up battery to the starter to crank my motor to see if I'm getting proper oil pressure. The problem is that when I torque the flexplate bolts down it hits the starter housing and locks the motor. Its a clearance issue.
Old 11-24-2012, 01:26 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The 5.3 flexplate is offset out and the 6.0 flexplate is flat so that's why you are having a clearance issue...it had to do with the different crank lengths. Do a search on here there is plenty of threads on it. What trans are you using you may need a spacer?
Old 11-24-2012, 02:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 41 Likes on 20 Posts

4l80e. Yeah thats what I thought but does the spacer go between the crank and Flex playe or between the Stall and flexplate?
Old 11-24-2012, 03:50 PM
On The Tree

I think with a 4l80e you need to put the spacer between the crank and flexplate. I'm not entirely sure. I know with my offset flexplate (5.3 style) and a th350 I needed to put the spacer between the stall and flexplate but that's because the th350 has a shorter shaft because the sbc had a longer crank. I'm sure since your fexplate is flat it needs the spacer between the crank and fp to make up for the lost length that the offset flexplate makes up for.

I could've sworn I had a thread on this bookmarked but I can't find it....might be on my work computer, I'll post it if I find it.

Last edited by snyousef; 11-24-2012 at 03:56 PM.
Old 11-24-2012, 09:20 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Pretty sure if you have a flat flexplate, it goes: crank/spacer/flexplate/converter and if you have the dished flexplate it goes: crank/flexplate/spacer/converter.
Old 11-24-2012, 10:03 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by S10xGN
Pretty sure if you have a flat flexplate, it goes: crank/spacer/flexplate/converter and if you have the dished flexplate it goes: crank/flexplate/spacer/converter.
That's how I recall it as well....

Basically the dished (5.3 style) fp made up for the shorter crank by its "dish" and the spacer was used with older transmissions since they have shorter input shafts since the sbc crank was longer. For the flat (6.0 style) fp a spacer was placed on the crank to space the fp out to make up for the shorter crank.

OP, you need the spacer that goes on the crank (crank/spacer/flexplate/converter) for the 4l80e with the flat fp. IIRC the 6.0 motors came with this spacer stock when using the 4l80e trans.

Quick Reply: 6.0 flexplate on my 5.3 HELPPP!!!!!!