Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Milled 243 heads questions.

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2012, 03:57 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The thing is that I don't want to get my pistons flycut. Does anyone knows about how much would someone charge to do that?
Old 12-07-2012, 04:01 PM
Grr
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

of course im risking it, thats the whole fun of it!
They were at 46-47cc before, 12.98 compression and 9.8DCR before stock bottom end
I removed a ton of material around the valves with the bigger bore I have to cc them out but i suspect 3cc more. guessing to be around 49cc after teh cleanup pass again
14.2:1 and 10.6DCR
i run E85
Old 12-08-2012, 06:12 AM
12 Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Grr
of course im risking it, thats the whole fun of it!
They were at 46-47cc before, 12.98 compression and 9.8DCR before stock bottom end
I removed a ton of material around the valves with the bigger bore I have to cc them out but i suspect 3cc more. guessing to be around 49cc after teh cleanup pass again
14.2:1 and 10.6DCR
i run E85
This is exactly why you shouldn't go around telling everyone they are safe when they are already beyond the generally accepted limits of something. Not everyone wants to "risk it".

It goes back to the old adage...it's easy to spend someone else's money.

Your setup is obviously out of the ordinary. You need to make that clear before you go giving out your information.
Old 12-08-2012, 09:30 AM
Grr
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

well Im not here to babysit anyone, this is a performance car site and im not one to cater to fools or the massively uninformed.
With the aftermarket pistons I have now my PtoV is MORE than adequate, looks like it will still be in the .080-.100 area on both sides, so that is no longer any concern

I have no responsibility to anyone on here or their builds. I am simply informing people that most are *****-ing around and think things can only be done to a certain extent that is absolute, this is not the case. If the PtoV checks out there is NO downside to running a 243 head shaved .070, you build the car as a whole and if you are too stupid to think about compression and fuel thats not my problem.
(not directed at bww3588 just the website in general)

Back in the day this website was the hot spot with many smart people really pushing the envelope, lately its mostly uneducated idiots with no desire to learn. In short its basically a joke. on the bullet my type of build is commonplace and discussed openly as it should be
Old 12-08-2012, 09:45 AM
12 Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Grr
well Im not here to babysit anyone, this is a performance car site and im not one to cater to fools or the massively uninformed.
With the aftermarket pistons I have now my PtoV is MORE than adequate, looks like it will still be in the .080-.100 area on both sides, so that is no longer any concern

I have no responsibility to anyone on here or their builds. I am simply informing people that most are *****-ing around and think things can only be done to a certain extent that is absolute, this is not the case. If the PtoV checks out there is NO downside to running a 243 head shaved .070, you build the car as a whole and if you are too stupid to think about compression and fuel thats not my problem.
(not directed at bww3588 just the website in general)

Back in the day this website was the hot spot with many smart people really pushing the envelope, lately its mostly uneducated idiots with no desire to learn. In short its basically a joke. on the bullet my type of build is commonplace and discussed openly as it should be
I concur. Totally.

Unfortunately, this site is not what it used to be and the rest of us that are left just have to deal. I just don't like seeing people point other less knowledgeable to the edge of reason, which they probably don't intend on visiting in the first place.
Old 12-08-2012, 10:24 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I respectfully disagree with some of the presumptions stated.
Back in the day, everyone, including myself, wasn't totally educated in this field. I'm still not/still learning.
The only way to 'get there' is to ask questions. And the purpose of this site is to educate.
That the OP is uninformed in this area, I think, deserves a comprehensive answer to this effect.
There are ramifications to advice given, and I've been lead down an incorrect path on more than one occasion. To believe that everyone is 'on board', all of the time, is erroneous and exclusionary.
Old 12-08-2012, 10:58 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I feel people that visit this site are lacking desired information hence the reason they visit and ask questions. Grr may be giving his experience and hasnt experienced to an issue, but he failed to mention alot of information! Thats a problem and could lead the OP in a bad direction. There is more to PTV clearance when you shave your heads to the extreme edge.

You also have to worry about compression, sealing issues, limitation on the cam you can run etc...etc... Grr failed to mention he is running E-85, aftermarket dished pistons, and the cam is still a mystery. The OP made it clear its a street car needing to run on pump gas.

I would assume his combination is nearly the same as 80-90% of us here which is a stock bottom end. That being said, it doesnt matter if he can "get way" with shaving .135" off of a .375" thick deck head. Thats not a smart thing to do. We should aire on the side of caution rather than point someone to the extreme edge. As you will see in hundreds of threads... ~.045" is about the limit for "Safe"

Last edited by badazz81z28; 12-08-2012 at 11:12 AM.

Quick Reply: Milled 243 heads questions.