Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS1 "Boss Style" Quad Exhaust with True Duals?

Old 12-05-2012, 08:50 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS1 "Boss Style" Quad Exhaust with True Duals?

So I may get some flame for this, but I think it might be a cool idea actually. At least in theory.

So with the new boss 302 for those of you who don't know here is how the exhaust is set up. There is the standard dual exhaust, and 2 side pipes connected at the junction of the H pipe after just the cats and before any mufflers. Those 2 pipes run off to the sides, through a flange with a restrictor plate in it that only lets a little bit of "open exhaust" sound out, while most of the exhaust travels out to the mufflers and out the tail pipes.

Apparently the system is pretty quiet at idle and while cruising but really opens up at above half throttle. I think this is a really cool idea for ls1 cars for those of us running duals and that want to be respectful to our neighbors if we have to leave early in the morning or something. With the restrictor plate you can run a small hole for only a little open sound, or drill it out or run a plate with a bigger hole for more flow.

Pics:

I think a cool way to do this for an ls1 car with true duals would be to run the pipes in this order headers->x/h pipe->bullets->pipes to run to sides->pipes to go out back and over/under axle->bigger quiet mufflers->tail pipes.

Having the pipes run off after the bullets means you get to have the sweet td sound that doesn't just sound like nasty open headers like it would if you placed them before the bullets.

E-cutouts could be used instead of restricter plates but either way you get the big picture.

Thoughts?
Old 12-05-2012, 11:55 PM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ford is really interesting in their audable tuning of the new cars. first with that intake tube jazz and now this?
anyway its been done id say already, id consider a cutout to be effectively the same thing, however if you snake some pipes to be side exits ... then it just may be worth it!

the bullets before the cutout is a great idea except for the fact that guys around here seem to want either full open flow or best sound and esp if its a e-cutout id say why the hell not go straight pipes to the side? the e-cutouts have a variable opening you could mimic that dinky restrictor plate
Old 12-06-2012, 02:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Run Borla Pro XS mufflers, and avoid the hassle of this
Old 12-06-2012, 06:56 AM
10 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

thats a cool set up. the new mustangs have alot of cool stuff.
Old 12-06-2012, 08:24 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by PhoneniX
ford is really interesting in their audable tuning of the new cars. first with that intake tube jazz and now this?
anyway its been done id say already, id consider a cutout to be effectively the same thing, however if you snake some pipes to be side exits ... then it just may be worth it!

the bullets before the cutout is a great idea except for the fact that guys around here seem to want either full open flow or best sound and esp if its a e-cutout id say why the hell not go straight pipes to the side? the e-cutouts have a variable opening you could mimic that dinky restrictor plate
I guess I am just not like the guys on here. I hate the sound of open headers, so I refuse to put cutouts straight off the headers or off the X. I like the duals sound and volume...just not all the time.
Running a borla to quiet down the duals is fine for the purpose of leaving early...but then I give up on having big loud fun when I want it.

I think a modified version of this would be a pretty neat thing to do. Wouldn't even be that hard.

You say the electric cutouts have variable opening? I didn't know that. That's perfect.
Old 12-06-2012, 11:53 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

http://www.quicktimeperformance.com/302/index.php

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: LS1 "Boss Style" Quad Exhaust with True Duals?