Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

very bad smell while accelerating 50%-100% throttle

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2004, 10:16 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default very bad smell while accelerating 50%-100% throttle

Is this normal with my setup or is my car running rich/lean? It is a very bad smell.
Old 04-13-2004, 10:46 PM
11 Second Club

Smell like rotten eggs? Where do you smell it most?
Old 04-13-2004, 10:49 PM
TECH Apprentice

I never smell it in the car but I have had people come up to me and say it stinks bad when take them from a light or just taking off infront of them. and today I let someone else drive it with me following and could smell it for myself. not rotten eggs. I have no cats
Old 04-14-2004, 07:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

hmmmm. Outside of a really herendous case of body odor emmitting from the car, I would check your air/fuel ratio. You could have a tank of bad gas, too.

What does it smell like? Chemical, Biological?? Run over a skunk? Dead rotting racoon caught in your undercarriage?? We had a semi-truck come into the yard the other day that had hit a big fat skunk. Stunk up the place all day. And yes, even going down the road you could smell skunk ****....we took it to have it washed.
Old 04-14-2004, 10:32 AM
TECH Regular

sounds like the car needs some Amodium AD. anyways check your air/fuel ratio, o2's and any fluid leaks.
Old 04-14-2004, 11:32 AM
TECH Apprentice

Ok so this is not normal? I know it is not a dead animal and I know it is not a bad tank of gas. I dont remember exactly what it smelled like, I was just like WOW it really does stink. I will try driving behind it again and see if I can think of somthing it smells like. also I dont want to spend 300 dollars on a program to check my A/F ratio because I am trying to save for a new tourqe converter. Is there any other way to check it?
Old 04-14-2004, 12:12 PM
On The Tree

Does it smell sort of like gas fumes? I can smell mine when I stop at a redlight with the windows rolled down. I'm running Jet Hots and ORY through GMMG. Other then that I dont really know what it could be without a better description on the smell.
Old 04-14-2004, 02:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

its probably just your exhaust fumes...you don't have cats so there is nothing filtering those fumes. its gonna stink. period. my girlfriend said when she follows behind my car her eyes water its bad, personally i think thats funny but then again im a dick head so take that for what its worth. and my a/f is right on. just theres nothing there to filter anything out, so naturally its going to stink a little more. if people dont like how bad it stinks tell them to start modding up and try to either keep up or even get infront of you and stop bitching.
Old 04-15-2004, 12:25 AM
Customizing Director

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Yea I'm running LT headers and no CATS. Has a fuel smell, can easily smell it when standing behind the car, when I first start it up, and stopped at a light with the windows down. I like it though
Old 04-20-2004, 08:41 AM
Teching In

honey its just from your cats dont worrie about it!!! it doesnt smell that bad i drive behind you all time and its only when you excellerate hard, i have been behind other vehicles like that vette the other day on the way to your house and it smelled the same as your car and there wasnt any smoke or anything comming outta the back, i wouldnt worrie about it.....love you

Quick Reply: very bad smell while accelerating 50%-100% throttle