Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

lid setup vs custom cold air

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2012, 09:40 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DopeFedZ
Email this guy Robert r-kowalski@sbcglobal.net. Ask him to send you his list of available MBA inventory.
awesome thank you!!
Old 12-29-2012, 10:25 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I made this

ducts to the front grill sides SUX2BU style

sealed to the lower airbox, it get pressurized

[IMG][/IMG]

more pics in my build thread
Old 12-29-2012, 10:25 AM
TECH Senior Member

I made this

ducts to the front grill sides SUX2BU style

sealed to the lower airbox, it get pressurized

[IMG][/IMG]

more pics in my build thread
Old 12-29-2012, 12:38 PM
TECH Resident

studderin thats a nice setup to i like that a lot. if i had a camaro i would deff do that. im going to do something with the front license plate cover by cutting it out and putting all mesh in it like a guy on here makes and sells. then i will have the filter or intake scoop sitting right there.
Old 12-29-2012, 04:49 PM
TECH Senior Member

thanks, ya I needed somthing bigger then the other lids, even the 104mm step down. And this lid tips back more to fit taller intake, like the LSXRT, hi-ram, proflow ect. Still runs a great filter setup for street driving, and you can run a maff with it easly.

bigger more for race only would be like this
Old 12-29-2012, 04:55 PM
The Scammer Hammer

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

If, or more like "when" I bite the bullet and get an LSXRT manifold that's the route I'm going... fabbed sheet metal lid. Looks good man.
Old 12-29-2012, 08:25 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by DopeFedZ
Yeah if this mba shroud would have reached all the way to the front like his i wouldnt have needed to split it but this one only cost me $30 and his was like $150.
so i spoke with that guy a few timea today and come to find out that mba shroud is for a lt1, that is prly why it wasnt big enough and had to cut in half
Old 12-29-2012, 09:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by dr_whigham
If, or more like "when" I bite the bullet and get an LSXRT manifold that's the route I'm going... fabbed sheet metal lid. Looks good man.
ya, Im not sure if newera will make a batch of them. I brought it up, the older Fbody stuff isn't really the latest and greatest, like the gen4, c5, ZL1,copo testing stuff. I got the templates to make more, mines getting powdercoated then some more testing for some maf things, but already got some guys thinking it would be what they want. It also fits a single plane intake with a 4150, or 4500 TB if you want to run a maff. A whole dioffrent thing, but not running carb hat on the TB NA, But a bigger base setup you can use this and have a filter, maf and cold air, pressurized source thats the best you could ask for street driving.
Old 12-30-2012, 06:51 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by studderin
ya, Im not sure if newera will make a batch of them. I brought it up, the older Fbody stuff isn't really the latest and greatest, like the gen4, c5, ZL1,copo testing stuff. I got the templates to make more, mines getting powdercoated then some more testing for some maf things, but already got some guys thinking it would be what they want. It also fits a single plane intake with a 4150, or 4500 TB if you want to run a maff. A whole dioffrent thing, but not running carb hat on the TB NA, But a bigger base setup you can use this and have a filter, maf and cold air, pressurized source thats the best you could ask for street driving.
mind sharing measurements of your templates? maybe ill just do this with and make my own chris1313 style ram air
Old 01-02-2013, 07:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I wanna see results from you guys that did your intakes like this.
Grab a aftermarket lid and show us the differences back to back on a track!

I like the lid setup because it looks OEM and has been performing great.

I don't have the chris1313 or SSRA but I do have the bottom of the tray cut open, and a SS hood... my IAT's are always within 2-3 degrees of ambient air as long as I'm moving.
(I know that doesn't take into account of airflow, just temp)
Old 01-02-2013, 07:41 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by happysem
I wanna see results from you guys that did your intakes like this.
Grab a aftermarket lid and show us the differences back to back on a track!

I like the lid setup because it looks OEM and has been performing great.

I don't have the chris1313 or SSRA but I do have the bottom of the tray cut open, and a SS hood... my IAT's are always within 2-3 degrees of ambient air as long as I'm moving.
(I know that doesn't take into account of airflow, just temp)
Honestly i haven't seen any MPH gain from just doing the CAI style intake, a member on here 92cobranotch made one out of PVC and he did gears at the same time and he picked up 2 mph i believe, so its up in there air as to what made the 2mph increase. Usually those things need to be tuned to extract the full potential of it.
Old 01-03-2013, 02:02 PM
11 Second Club

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts

Nice work and just getting more air supply is probably best.I liked the volant intake but box seems bulky and k&n doesn't use box so since custom /fabbed intake thread heres mine and really didn't see any difference except top end which seemed stronger but still playing with.
Attached Thumbnails lid setup vs custom cold air-bayclose.jpg   lid setup vs custom cold air-bugview.jpg   lid setup vs custom cold air-sideview.jpg   lid setup vs custom cold air-ourbay2.jpg  
Old 01-03-2013, 04:06 PM
TECH Resident

01badbird - beautiful car and engine bay. I'm drooling
Old 01-03-2013, 06:46 PM
11 Second Club

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 01 ss vert
01badbird - beautiful car and engine bay. I'm drooling
THANKS! Got cardboard template that I'm playing with to make "box" that attaches to hood and shuts down over to seal.also running WS6 hood and filters sit right behind openings (along with nitrous purge) and take out screens in hood at track.heres pic of car with hood shut
Attached Thumbnails lid setup vs custom cold air-1ststopours2.jpg  

Quick Reply: lid setup vs custom cold air