Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2 dead cylinders after HCI swap..Ideas? (Thanks TEXAS SPEED)

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2012, 09:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2 dead cylinders after HCI swap..Ideas? (Thanks TEXAS SPEED)

Number 6 and 8 cylinders are dead after installing a head cam and intake. Any ideas before I start to diagnose it tomorrow?

Already checked plug wires. The reason I noticed this is because my brand new stainless kooks headers I installed were a different color on those two cylinders.

Last edited by stroked89coupe; 01-02-2013 at 09:58 AM.
Old 12-28-2012, 09:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

do you have any codes? oh wait ofcourse you do. do you have a scanner so you can read these codes?

did you check the 3 main items?

Spark
Fuel
Air

check these items first and go from there
Old 12-28-2012, 10:11 PM
Teching In

depending on how long you let it run could have a lifter that has not primed, or possibly have a pushrod/rocker arm loose.i didn't see any other symptoms given that would help pinpoint ...if its valvetrain, there should be a little rattlingunless they are too tight. check codes if possible if no codes exist, could be a vacuum leak that has not been ran long enough to complete a obd monitor. given the type of work just performed it literally could be anything. good luck
Old 12-28-2012, 10:17 PM

Not getting any un ordinary codes. Normal p0300 from the cam. Low o2 readings from that bank and high map kpa readings. I have hptuners.

I have spare parts that I can swap over from my other vehicles that I know are good. I will do that tomorrow. Just wondering if anyone had any ideas. Did not see two of what ever going bad at the same time. Engine ran for a while.
Old 12-28-2012, 10:28 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So you do have spark?
Old 12-28-2012, 10:33 PM

I have not even checked. The only thing I got to diagnos is the plug wires before it got dark. I poste up now, simply to see if anyone had any ideas ( other than coil pack or Injector, don't see two of those going bad at once)

Will be checking for spark and fuel tomorrow first thing? Any other ideas like grounds ect? I would think that would probably affect the entire bank and not individual cylinders.

Thanks for any help.
Old 12-29-2012, 08:15 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by stroked89coupe
I have not even checked. The only thing I got to diagnos is the plug wires before it got dark. I poste up now, simply to see if anyone had any ideas ( other than coil pack or Injector, don't see two of those going bad at once)

Will be checking for spark and fuel tomorrow first thing? Any other ideas like grounds ect? I would think that would probably affect the entire bank and not individual cylinders.

Thanks for any help.
Unless you got a little rough with them. You might check the pins and connector shells on the afflicted wiring for peace of mind...
Old 12-30-2012, 08:25 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Are the header tubes for #6, & #8 cold?
The ECM provides grnd to each coil in turn, in the firing order.
My guess is that the grnd wires to those coils are either open/broken, or, the small wire harness on the even cylinders is reversed. Verify colors on the connectors, where the connectors plug in to the coils.
Also, try unplugging the large connector that goes to the small wire harness. Then plug it back in.
Old 12-30-2012, 08:27 PM
TECH Apprentice

Bent valves. What cam and head choice ?

You checked compression ?
Old 12-31-2012, 09:04 AM

Well after taking a valve cover off I found my problem. I just bought a heads and cam package from texas speed along with a brand new set of yella terra roller rockers. Checked pushrod length and lifter preload before proceeding to the next step.The prc 227 heads I have had issues with since they arrived (Quality issues-texas speed says it's normal) and now I just found out that after purchasing a new set of ls7 lifters from texas speed that I had two had collapsed and caused this to happen...... Car ran fine for about 4 minutes.....

My next issue was trying to find replacement ls7 lifters in town. it's a dealer only item. Stopped by dealer parts today and it turns out the oem ls7 lifter (obtained from chevy) pushrod cup is a different depth than the texas speed lifter cup. What are they using???Therfor making my pushrod shorter. I'm going to call texas speed today and see what we can do about all of this. They did give me a partial refund for my head issue although taking nearly a week to finially come to a resolution to the problem (After I had taken off of work a week to perform the hci swap) they did finially do something about it. Hopefully they will take care of me with this issue as well,they have at least been very pleasant when I was talking with them on the phone.. I sure have been having a bad experience with them but i'm trying to stay positive.....

Also on the lifters that collapsed, notice the swipe pattern. Looks perfect and this was also verified when checking pushrod length. Also, before actually starting the car I verified oil pressure on hp tuners to 30-40 while cranking. Did everything by the book.

READ!!!! This noise in this video is NOT my valvetrain! I am running open kooks headers and this is the flange jingling on the collector.

Old 12-31-2012, 02:18 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sometimes parts just fail. Will tsp give you two new lifters or at lest allow you to purchase separately
?
Old 12-31-2012, 03:37 PM

Originally Posted by badazz81z28
Sometimes parts just fail. Will tsp give you two new lifters or at lest allow you to purchase separately
?
Come to find out they are not open today..

I would hope they would give me at least two new lifters and two new rockers along with two new pushrods. I'm not going to ask them for a replacement head gasket, a new set of head bolts or anything else that was needed for the re-install.

I guess we will see how they handle this. I'm sure they are tired of dealing with me already due to the issue with their prc heads that spaced out over a week.

Again they have been pleasant to deal with on the phone, So i'm still trying to keep a positive attitude about them possibly helping me out with this mess I have on my hands.
Old 01-02-2013, 09:57 AM

After talking with texas speed today they were very helpfull. They are sending me two new pushrods and two new lifters free of charge.

I have had a lot of issues with them over the past two weeks and I have to say, They have been more than helpfull everytime. Plain and simple I would recomend them to anyone and would describe them as a company that stands behind their product.
Old 01-02-2013, 10:24 AM
TECH Addict

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by stroked89coupe
After talking with texas speed today they were very helpfull. They are sending me two new pushrods and two new lifters free of charge.

I have had a lot of issues with them over the past two weeks and I have to say, They have been more than helpfull everytime. Plain and simple I would recomend them to anyone and would describe them as a company that stands behind their product.

Are you getting a new head gasket and bolts (if you have non reusable ones)?
Old 01-02-2013, 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by mjs1012
Are you getting a new head gasket and bolts (if you have non reusable ones)?
If your asking me if texas speed provided me with those as well then the answer would be no. And they said they could not do anything about the rockers since I did not purchase them through texas speed. Which is understandable. I am planning on getting these though as I do have the tty bolts.

To be honest I never intended on even asking them for these things. I just scraped it up to being part of the game that I play.
Old 01-02-2013, 11:41 PM
TECH Addict

sound pretty decent for at least remaining helpful..and doing what they can.
Old 01-03-2013, 08:19 AM
TECH Resident

the push rod length for the PRC 227 (which i own) is 7.500 but that was with the YT spacers and you really need to check to make sure 7.450 is the right size. My head were with the stock 62cc and .051 gasket though. If you can jiggle the rocker off of the valve then you need to re measure your PR length.
Old 01-03-2013, 08:05 PM

Your right on. That is the correct pushrod length. I was able to use the ones they sent. pushrod/lifter preload was perfect.

Swipe pattern (swipe pattern is defferent due to cam specs .644 / .598)

Startup video. She's running fine now!!!!

Attached Thumbnails 2 dead cylinders after HCI swap..Ideas? (Thanks TEXAS SPEED)-img_0910_zps798cbc0e.jpg  
Old 01-04-2013, 10:05 AM
TECH Resident

Swipe pattern has to do with the spacers that the YT come with but the pushrod length has a little to do with it, I'm just wanted to know how was this Texas speed fought if you don't mine me asking?
Old 01-04-2013, 10:07 AM
TECH Resident

oh yea i hope you used some kind of RTV on those rocker bolt holes as well if not they will back out on you

Quick Reply: 2 dead cylinders after HCI swap..Ideas? (Thanks TEXAS SPEED)