Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dual I/O Muffler For True Duals

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2004 | 08:06 PM
dug
Banned

Default Dual I/O Muffler For True Duals

Magnaflow makes an oval 4x9 muffler with two 2.5" I/O . This muffler also has a built in xpipe. Heres a link to the Magnaflow website.

http://www.magnaflow.com/02product/universal/oval.htm

It looks like it should fit ok by the passenger side underneath the rear seat. I was thinkin of cutting of the ycollector on the mac ypipe and placing the muffler there.

THink this is a good idea?
Old 04-16-2004 | 10:08 AM
dug
Banned

Since theres no objections, I will give it a try.

btw the muffler is only $75. If anything it will be a cheap way to do true duals.
Old 04-16-2004 | 03:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

logic question....true duals would refer to dual (two) exits, two mufflers, two pipes...do you suppose you are going to get true dual power out of a glorified cross flow muffler? i mean only at 75 bones its worth a try but I seriously doubt that its going to give you anywhere close to true dual power, same with the sound.
just my opinion though
Old 04-16-2004 | 03:40 PM
dug
Banned

Yeah, Im not expecting any power gains. Still it might pick up a lil by not having to go all the way through a catback. Plus it will save some weight. This is more for eliminating rasp. I havent done any mods lately and am bored.

It will be interesting to see what happens. I just ordered the muffler and should be arrive on the 27th. Itd be trip if it actually works good. Its much easier and cheaper than real duals. All you have to do is cut off the collector of any ypipe and hook up the muffler.
Old 04-16-2004 | 11:35 PM
TECH Resident

Get the one with the internal x-pipe, it is a "true dual" muffler vs. some of the others which neck down to a single 2.5" or 3" tube in the middle.
Old 04-17-2004 | 12:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by slik98z
logic question....true duals would refer to dual (two) exits, two mufflers, two pipes...do you suppose you are going to get true dual power out of a glorified cross flow muffler? i mean only at 75 bones its worth a try but I seriously doubt that its going to give you anywhere close to true dual power, same with the sound.
just my opinion though
He will have true duals and the same performance as two mufflers. There's a member either on this board or the other board that did this. He bought the muffler with the internal X dual in and dual out, but I think he bought the 3"I/O muffler. If you search I'm sure you can find the thread, but he said it worked it was just loud. I too looked into this option but since I have headers and no cats I'm affraid it might be too loud for me dumped under the car.
Good luck, I'm sure it will work fine and produce comprable results to the other true duals.

Oh yeah and I called Magnaflow about this muffler a long time ago and only the 22" case/28" overall length muffler has the internal X-pipe. The shorter muffler doesn't have the X-pipe.
Old 04-17-2004 | 01:11 AM
dug
Banned

YEah, I dont know. In theory it looks like it should work but its too easy. I can handle loud if its a good tone. Right now I get ripped on by the rasp.

Hearing it first hand (friend got in the car and threw some revs) it sucks. During regular drivin it spends all the time during the rasp zone. Annoying. Even with the a big muffler it still rasps. **** it. time to try duals