Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is oil presure sending unit and switch the same?

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2013, 01:00 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Is oil presure sending unit and switch the same?

I have an oil leak at t he back of the intake on an 02 WS6, I was looking with a scope to see if I could tell if it the leak was coming from oil presure sending unit or intake. When I went to Autozone web the attached picture is what they show me as oil presure switch.
In reading about sending units getting broken during intake swaps they were discribed as being long and skinny and easily broken, the Autozone pieces doesn't seam to fit that description. Is this what I should be looking for as a source of a leak.
I have not done and intake swap to have broken the switch but I have changed the 2 air pump check valves that are connected to the hose that runs behind the intake where switch is and thought maybe I broke it moving that hose.
Attached Thumbnails Is oil presure sending unit and switch the same?-4.jpg  
Old 02-03-2013, 01:28 PM
Teching In

Follow up question, if it is the sending unit leaking can it be changed without removing intake looks like very tight quarters.
I also attached a pic of what I believe to be the sending unit.\ and as you can see lots of oil.
Old 02-03-2013, 02:26 PM
On The Tree

The picture you have attached is indeed the oil pressure sending unit.

Is your dummy oil pressure gauge showing pressure? Most likely if your oil pressure sending unit was broke it would not be showing any pressure.

It is possible to change the oil pressure sending unit with the intake manifold on, however, I have only changed it with the intake manifold off.

Hope this helps!
Old 02-03-2013, 02:47 PM
Teching In

Yes it does thanks.
But yes my oil presure guage is working so for it to be the source of the leak and be working is not likley?
Look like its time to change the intake gaskets, car has 160K on it so would not be suprised if intake leaking.
Old 02-03-2013, 10:39 PM
On The Tree

Ya, if your opsu (oil pressure sending unit) was leaking, you'd get a whacky reading on your oil pressure gauge, or no reading at all.

Quick Reply: Is oil presure sending unit and switch the same?