Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Questions about Electric cutouts

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2013, 08:44 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Questions about Electric cutouts

I'm really looking into buying an electric cutout for my built z/28. It has a comp cams 228r cam shaft, yella terra rockers, upgraded valve springs and pushrods, 5.3 liter ported and polished heads from texas speed, underdrive pulleys, fast 102 intake with a 90 mm tb, and pacesetter headers into a ory then to a hooker catback exhaust. I really would like the cutout for when I go to the track or when im at shows and want to " show off". Where would be the best place on my exhaust to install this and whats the best brand? Is qtp any good?
Old 02-21-2013, 09:23 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

More than anything yes... QTP makes great cutouts, at least for me I have never had any issues with them. The longest I have had is for about 2 years now and it still works great and zero leaks when closed.

As far as where to put the cutout/s a lot of people put them closest to the headers as possible, some replace their cats with a cutouts. I would put it closest to the headers as possible.

Im sure someone will come in with better advise of where to place one for better HP gains.
Old 02-21-2013, 09:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I have mine after headers right before Y pipe, facing out both sides of car, they are a wicked mod but they have leaked since day one and with cam and tune really gasses up a garage. I don't want to discourage you but I'd never do it again.

Trying to race with open cutouts is like screwing drunk. Lots of noise and no torque. I've found that starting a race with them shut and opening them down the road seems to be the idea, but I'm still learning. But they are mainly for showing off, love to open them next to a ricer or M3, but I close it fast if it is on
Old 02-21-2013, 10:22 PM
TECH Senior Member

It definately is more noise, a lot of people just open them for show and for the dragstrip. People see gains on the Dyno sheets when running cutouts, some actually dont, I guess it depends on the setup. If you have True Duals running cutouts is pointless unless you just want them for show of course.
Old 02-21-2013, 10:33 PM
Launching!

I had mine at the intermediate pipe just after the y and just before my catback. Easy place to put one cutout instead I two after each header. Worked well and sat under the pass side of the car.

I agree with at the strip... I ran slight better times with it closed. So I only opened it when pulling up next to rustangs and ricers.
Old 02-22-2013, 03:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

From talking to many people who have had them in multiple places.
if you are going to run them at the end of the headers to all the way to the end of the merge then you really need a separate tune for the cutout open. Installing it after the over the axle pipe will give you a modest gain in hp and good sound. I had an FLP cutout in that location which I loved. The biggest problem is that they add alot of weight to your exhaust and it was hard to keep my CME centered with the damn thing sitting to one side.
Old 02-22-2013, 04:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by stlz/28
I'm really looking into buying an electric cutout for my built z/28. It has a comp cams 228r cam shaft, yella terra rockers, upgraded valve springs and pushrods, 5.3 liter ported and polished heads from texas speed, underdrive pulleys, fast 102 intake with a 90 mm tb, and pacesetter headers into a ory then to a hooker catback exhaust. I really would like the cutout for when I go to the track or when im at shows and want to " show off". Where would be the best place on my exhaust to install this and whats the best brand? Is qtp any good?
Hey another ofallon guy, whats up?
A cutout on your setup is going to make a HELL of a sound difference. I also have heads/mild cam setup with LTs, ORY and hooker catback, and with the cutout open it sounds like a totally different car.
The most common place for a cutout with a y-pipe setup is on the I-pipe. Check out some pics from google here:

You have other options as well, although I think these would be harder to do:
Right as the I-pipe bends up to go under the rear axle:

Right before the muffler:
Old 02-22-2013, 06:07 PM
TECH Senior Member

Great pics bud. I have my cutout in my truck on the I pipe before the muffler, sounds reeeeal loud. Lol... I have a bonestock 5.3 with stock manifolds with just a tune and a little $200 exhaust setup. Ill try to post some pics tomorrow for the OP.
Old 02-23-2013, 03:24 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by JD_AMG
Hey another ofallon guy, whats up?
A cutout on your setup is going to make a HELL of a sound difference. I also have heads/mild cam setup with LTs, ORY and hooker catback, and with the cutout open it sounds like a totally different car.
The most common place for a cutout with a y-pipe setup is on the I-pipe. Check out some pics from google here:
http://i187.photobucket.com/albums/x...6/P1010007.jpg
http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t...haust024-1.jpg
You have other options as well, although I think these would be harder to do:
Right as the I-pipe bends up to go under the rear axle:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/attachmen...h-cutout_1.jpg
Right before the muffler:
http://www.installuniversity.com/ins...t_cutout_1.jpg
Thanks for the pictures! Pm me so we can meet up this spring and maybe hit up a couple shows and gateway this year possibly. Im about 15 minutes from mid rivers mall.
Old 03-01-2013, 10:43 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I was orginally going to get a cut out but I ended up going with the lm1 instead because I wanted to save weight. My next car ill try the cut out tho.
Old 03-02-2013, 01:30 AM
FormerVendor

I sell about 60-100 QTP Cutouts a month with virtually no issues in durability.
Old 03-02-2013, 09:50 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by MikeFSKSpeed
I sell about 60-100 QTP Cutouts a month with virtually no issues in durability.
What's your price on 1 qtp 3 inch electric cutout?
Old 03-02-2013, 12:56 PM
FormerVendor

PM Sent!
Old 03-02-2013, 10:35 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by stlz/28
What's your price on 1 qtp 3 inch electric cutout?
Me too!! only i need a pair!!!
Old 03-02-2013, 10:39 PM
On The Tree

I would like a pm on the price as well.
Old 03-03-2013, 09:16 AM
FormerVendor

pms sent guys
Old 03-03-2013, 09:55 AM
TECH Apprentice

I put my cutout on the intermediate pipe essentially under the rear seats. After getting an electric one, I would never consider getting a manual one.

And the brand i went with was Summit, had no issues at all.
Old 03-03-2013, 10:22 AM
TECH Senior Member

Thats nice^ I know TSP has their own E-Cutouts but I never heard anything about them.
Old 03-03-2013, 04:44 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Blackpanther99
Thats nice^ I know TSP has their own E-Cutouts but I never heard anything about them.
Its the summit brand cutout which is a chinese knock off. Most of the products TSP makes isnt made by them. There headers/exhaust is all made overseas. Just so you know.
Old 03-03-2013, 05:44 PM
TECH Senior Member

Ahh I see. Ive always had wanted to try a Summit Racing cutout but was afraid they wouldnt work for long.

Quick Reply: Questions about Electric cutouts