Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Truck intakes, differences between them? (have 2 very different variants).

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2013, 09:38 PM
Launching!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Truck intakes, differences between them? (have 2 very different variants).

Gen III truck intakes, I have 2 very different intakes from LM7/LQ4/LQ9 engines that I am very curious about yet in my searches over the past several months have yielded nothing concrete. Hoping to get some answers from those in the know, (not just random hypothesis or theories without any substance to support such...)

The Ugly truck intake we al have seen and read about, came on the 4.8, 5.3, and 6.0L. There is another truck intake, much more aesthetically pleasing with a totally different air flow tract entering the heads, similar to the car intakes, just much taller and appears to be longer runners. This one pictured came form a '02 Chev 250 Ext Cab 4wd 6.0L pickup, (the LQ4 it was on top of ended up in my BMW M3).
Soooo, what is the difference between these intakes on stock 5.3 and 6.0L as seen on dyno and MPG?
The ugly manifold has part number 25344062 in its casting. The "pretty" version has NO casting numbers in it, and is a two piece design that can be disassembled, floor removes from the rest of the plenum/runner section.

Old 02-22-2013, 02:16 AM
12 Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I can't see the pics, but the newer 07+ engines had a better designed, less ugly intake. I believe the newer intake replaced the older, ugly intake. So it's possible that intake was swapped out at some point on the 02 in question. I know in the earlier years, they had problems with the vacuum nipples breaking off and it would be replaced at the dealer, with the newer "pretty" intake.

Obviously the newer intake is a better design and most likely provides better power etc...

But in all honesty, the older truck intake is a very good design despite the fact it's hideous. So I wouldn't expect tremendous gains from the newer design, but I'm sure you would see some.
Old 02-22-2013, 02:18 AM
12 Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I had an 00 5.3 that had the ugly intake, and I know my dad's 04 5.3 has the ugly intake as well. My buddies 04 6.0 has the ugly intake as well.

I would assume it has been replaced at some point.

Quick Reply: Truck intakes, differences between them? (have 2 very different variants).