Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dumped True Duals Are Not Fun Anymore...Now What?

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2013, 10:03 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dumped True Duals Are Not Fun Anymore...Now What?

So I've run pacesetter 1 3/4 headers, tsp true duals with spiral flows, dumped for the last year or so and the fun factor has worn off. It's been replaced with the irritation of interior rattles and buzzes, and met with grimacing faces by the elderly people that live in my ol' lady's apartment complex...which makes me feel bad for disturbing their naps.

I'm not really in a position where I can afford to have an over the axle setup fabbed up at a shop I don't think. I get the feeling the shops around here would try and charge something ludicrous for a job like that.

Do any of the sponsors(or otherwise) make a pre bent pre cut over the axle setup to bolt up behind a set of tsp duals?

If not has anyone had any success getting the exhaust out from under the car without spending a lot of cash? I've thought about angling the turndowns out and just clamping a foot or foot and a half piece of 3" pipe to the ends to try and make it exit behind the tires but I think that would look extremely tacky.

Any other brilliant ideas?

O and ideally I would love to maybe even quiet it down a little(I realize getting the exits out from under the car will help a lot), but i'm not sure how adding another set of mufflers, or even adding cats back to the system would effect the exhaust note. Sounds pretty good now, just needs the volume lowered.
Old 02-25-2013, 10:16 PM
On The Tree

This is part of the reason that I decided to go with my new y pipe setup mitch
Old 02-25-2013, 10:43 PM
On The Tree

On another note the one thing you will run into here in this town is no muffler shop her in town has the ability to mandrel bend. Also there are only a hand full of shops around here that do larger piping than 2.5inch one of the only shops here in town that does do 3 inch is going to be bells and it will not be mandrel bent. So chances are if you are wanting mandrel bent you will need to do like you said and find a vender that offers a over the axle setup or you will need to take it to a shop that can do the above.
Old 02-25-2013, 11:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just go under the axle and throw some quieter mufflers on there
Old 02-26-2013, 05:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

Yeah...I went from dumped to under the axle (same mufflers) and it quites it down some.
Old 02-26-2013, 06:55 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would just look for somebody with a catback and see if they are willing to trade. you will be surprised how many people want duals dumped.
Old 02-26-2013, 08:27 AM
10 Second Club

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

If you want to keep close to the flow of the duals why not a custom 4" over the axle and run two mufflers. Thats what I'm going to be attempting here in the next day or so. I've all ready got a 3" to 4" ory, and a dynomax bullet dumped. I bought all the bends from summit to go over the axle and I'm putting another muffler in the stock location with a hideaway tailpipe. Not counting my TSP ory I used, I had 50 bucks in the FM merge, 50 bucks in the bullet ( do a different muffler), a little less than 100 in mandrel bends to go over the axle, and then 110 in a magnaflow. Basically a mufflex with an extra muffler. It'd have to be quieter than dumped in the cab anyway.
Old 02-26-2013, 08:34 AM
TECH Apprentice

I just hate to give up the duals and go back to a y setup. To my ears the duals sound so much better.

So noone makes pre-made extensions for the duals?
Old 02-26-2013, 09:29 AM
TECH Apprentice

Should not be that expensive to have duals routed over axle. you already have everything in place. All you need to do is one, find a shop that will do it and two, buy tips. Going through the hassle of taken everything off and going back to a Y-setup and running a catback is more time consuming and not that cost effective. Your paying for small amount of pipe and labor.
Old 02-26-2013, 09:50 AM
10 Second Club

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

If you've got TSP duals you've got 1 pipe on each side of the torque arm. In order to run it over the axle your going to at least need to completely redo the driver side in order to take both over the passenger side and I don't think the angle on the X will let you do that. Basically you'd have to copy the Kooks system. And nobody makes any extensions that I'm aware of.
Old 02-26-2013, 12:08 PM
10 Second Club

Received 55 Likes on 48 Posts

Run some super turbos, or a similar style real muffler, and your noise will cut in half.
Old 02-26-2013, 12:31 PM
TECH Junkie

I had an xpipe and dual muffler setup with SLP LoudMouth II mufflers installed last year, and after the mufflers, I had them install some 3bolt flanges. And after the flanges, I had some turndowns made that bolt up to it, and an under the axle 3" pipe run to the tips. I can choose if I want turndowns or out the back tips by unbolting them and installing the other pieces. Out the back definitely mellows it out. It still has a lot of volume out back, but inside the car is much quieter and there's far fewer vibrations. If I recall correctly, It was only like an extra $150 or so to have the pipes run out the back for me at my local exhaust shop. I have been running the turndowns for awhile now, but I have the ability to run the pipes out the back by simply unbolting my turndowns and installing the pipes. Try something like that out.
Old 02-26-2013, 12:35 PM
11 Second Club

This is the same position we ran into on my brother's car. He loved them for a while but then grew tired of them. He has since changed to a y-pipe with a single bullet. Interior drone and noise is cut down and sounds a lot better.
Old 02-26-2013, 04:29 PM
The Scammer Hammer

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Sell your car then because you're a baby and can't play anymore

Just kidding brother. Have you angled them out at 45* yet? I'm running them with Sweet Thunders (for now) and its not bad at all due to being angled and deflecting the sound.

Perhaps look into a pair of Magnaflow or Borla bullets? I'd hate to see you lose the lack of rasp and flow from going to a Y pipe.
Old 02-26-2013, 07:40 PM
TECH Apprentice

Yeah i'm not considering a y-setup at all really.

hollo you got pics of that flange setup?

wingham i'll try angling them out. Haven't done that yet.

Wonder what it would be like the the spiral flows replaced with some real muffs and the turndowns angled? Don't think i've ever heard an ls1 with duals and super turbos...can't imagine it would have a very good tone but i could be wrong.
Old 02-26-2013, 07:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Just replace the mufflers and angle them out to the sides slightly..done....Don't even consider going back to a y setup, thats just riduculous. You have the "best" flowing/sounding exhaust you can get for your car as it is. You did it right the first time going with duals...keep it that way. I went through 2 catbacks/y setups before I went with duals and wondered when it was all done why I pussed out on duals the frist time. Not to mention the fking rasp I couldn't stand with the y setup...sounded like *** anything above 3k rpm.
Old 02-26-2013, 08:38 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by TwitchZ28
Yeah i'm not considering a y-setup at all really.

wingham i'll try angling them out. Haven't done that yet.

Wonder what it would be like the the spiral flows replaced with some real muffs and the turndowns angled? Don't think i've ever heard an ls1 with duals and super turbos...can't imagine it would have a very good tone but i could be wrong.
Sounds great, just a lot quieter then bullets. Dynomax 6" ultraflow mufflers work great as well, and easier to fit.
Old 02-26-2013, 08:42 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by DietCoke
Sounds great, just a lot quieter then bullets. Dynomax 6" ultraflow mufflers work great as well, and easier to fit.
Any links to good quality clips? did some looking but either found crap quality videos or not exactly right.
Old 02-26-2013, 09:01 PM
TECH Junkie

Sure. I've since loved the dumped setup with turndowns so much, that I had some dummy tips welded in to fit the rear bumper. Everything is completely interchangeable if I ever feel the need to change it, but I'll be keeping the dumps for awhile.. My ground clearance is crap because my torque arm has pulled it down each time I've been on a 4-post lift. At first it was excellent, but that was my fault not unbolting the hangers before raising it.

Turndowns:

No turndowns:

Old tips with 3" pipe under the axle ran out the back. I eventually painted the under axle pipes flat black to hide them more.

New dummy tips (dumped with turndowns)
Old 02-26-2013, 09:47 PM
10 Second Club

Any links to good quality clips? did some looking but either found crap quality videos or not exactly right.
I don't have any personally, just stuff I've heard in person. Putting 6" ultra flows on the wife's lq4 in a week or two, ill take a video of that when I get it together.

Quick Reply: Dumped True Duals Are Not Fun Anymore...Now What?