Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

instrument cluster issue

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2013, 08:42 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default instrument cluster issue

got a 02' camaro ss and my instrument cluster is only showing oil pressure and voltage....nothing else works. i deployed for six months last year and it worked fine when i left. then i was told a tree limb fell on the windshield and busted it. so water got in the car and i believe this is what caused it to stop working, but why would only those two gauges work? is the cluster damaged its self or did something else get jacked up? open to all ideas
Old 03-11-2013, 07:31 AM
TECH Resident

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It may be possible that they are on a separate fuse. I don't have my book with me. I thought that whole instrument cluster is on one fuse, but perhaps its not. Check the fuses at the end of the dash. Hope that's all it is.
Old 03-11-2013, 10:53 AM
11 Second Club

OP does it look like this? Notice my speed.

If yes, then that is your ECU. GM did a terrible job of putting the ECU in a good spot, so it could be one of two things if not both.

1. Water has gotten into your ECU due to the fact that it is right below the windshield gutter
2. A wire is shorted out on your ECU.

What to do:
Take out your ECU and open it up. If there is water or any corrosion, try your best to file down/get rid of as much as you can with a metal bristle brush. Try and plug it back up and see if your gauges start working again. If not, its most likely a shorted wire.

Update this thread on what happens and good luck!

By the way I drove my car for 3 months with my gauges like that.
Old 03-12-2013, 05:43 PM
12 Second Club

^^^If you would have pulled into a Joizee inspection station with a dash looking like that, they would have impounded the car on the spot!!!!
Old 03-12-2013, 06:08 PM
Teching In

Its just like that photo but nothing works other than the oil pressure and voltage. Ill tare into it this weekend and see what I find
Old 03-12-2013, 08:37 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by red_cap
Its just like that photo but nothing works other than the oil pressure and voltage. Ill tare into it this weekend and see what I find
Your speedometer doesn't even work?
Old 03-12-2013, 09:07 PM
Teching In

ill have to drive it and see, i havent driven the car sense june last year. i got back from my deployment in early january and started a H/C/I build on it right away. im finishing it up now and going to be tuning either this weekend or next. ill take it down the road tomorrow, maybe a mile, and see. but the rpm, gas, temp, and information (mileage display) do not work. just oil pressure and voltage.
Old 03-12-2013, 09:10 PM
11 Second Club

ill have to drive it and see, i havent driven the car sense june last year. i got back from my deployment in early january and started a H/C/I build on it right away. im finishing it up now and going to be tuning either this weekend or next. ill take it down the road tomorrow, maybe a mile, and see. but the rpm, gas, temp, and information (mileage display) do not work. just oil pressure and voltage.
Hmm, well if you haven't started tearing into wires yet, my 98% best guess would be its your ECU because mine was literally soaked with water and of course with GMs horrible design, its right below the weather stripping on the windshield.
Old 03-12-2013, 09:17 PM
Teching In

could i plug in another ecu and see if it the will work?
Old 03-12-2013, 09:23 PM
11 Second Club

I dont see why not! Just make sure it's programmed to run for the Ls1, if not, i dont even see how it would even communicate.
Old 03-12-2013, 09:34 PM
Teching In

i have someone that said they had a ecu that would work so i can do a plug and play check. im gonna give that a shot
Old 03-12-2013, 10:21 PM
11 Second Club

Sweet! Update the thread when you get results
Old 03-17-2013, 02:26 PM
Teching In

so i got the car hooked up to efi live today and the computer is reading and showing all the info the cluster isn't. so....
Old 03-18-2013, 03:57 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Pull the cluster, it comes out easily and you may get a better sense of what is going on.
Old 03-18-2013, 05:25 PM
On The Tree

so i got the car hooked up to efi live today and the computer is reading and showing all the info the cluster isn't. so....
your oil press and voltage are ran directly through your pcm, also are tied into your main harness, so the reason why your oil and volts are only showing is because of that. if the EFI reading said every thing was good then your clusters internal circuit board is shot. to die-ag that prob get and 02 camaro cluster and put it in every thing should work back to stock right away.good luck bud.

Quick Reply: instrument cluster issue