Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

slp 3" magnamouth vs bassani 2½" true duals

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2013, 03:33 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr.z/28
Im saving in either getting an x pipe dumped no mufflers, or a custom bassani like over axle slp powerflo duals. ;]
yea i think what i am gonna do is get the bassani, and the part after the axle im gonna modify it and make it more like the kooks system where there is one round muffler on each side right before the tips. may be able to use the loudmouth piping thats on the car now to do this...
Old 03-18-2013, 08:01 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow. Is the LS1 crowd turning into what the 5.0 Mustang boys were 15 years ago, a cocky bunch that likes to make condescending comments? I offered up my experience to the OP to try to help him out, because I've been in the same boat as him, wondering if I could gain much by an exhaust change. I'd have to do some digging to find the dyno sheet from back then, but the car made either 412 or 415 to the tires. Exact combo??? Nope, but a stock cube LS1 making within 5hp to the tires of the OP, so you're right, not even remotely close and clearly apples to oranges and of zero help in comparison... The comment regarding changing headers and y without changing the cat back and expecting a change? This was years before the Kooks or Bassani dual systems came out, and according to everyone, long tubes would mop the floor with the Mac midlengths through whatever cat back you were running (and got the dual cut out y pipe to avoid any restriction in the 3" single cat back). Forgive me as this was 7-9 years ago, so I don't recall the exact number of passes and I don't feel like digging through EVERY timeslip I have (and yes, I do keep them ALL), but I made roughly 30-40 passes before and after in similar conditions (including cut outs closed/open on the same day) and for the sake of comparison left out the track visits on days that had noticeably better/worse air. Did I at any point say long tubes weren't any better than Mac's or that the Bassani was lacking in any way? NO. Would the Bassani make a MARGINAL difference in power for the OP? Possibly, but his current exhaust is pretty efficient at his CURRENT power level. OP, if you want the Bassani then get it, because you want it and aren't content with your current exhaust, but be ready for a minimal seat of the pants (if any) improvement.
Old 03-18-2013, 11:41 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 98 Silver SS
Wow. Is the LS1 crowd turning into what the 5.0 Mustang boys were 15 years ago, a cocky bunch that likes to make condescending comments? I offered up my experience to the OP to try to help him out, because I've been in the same boat as him, wondering if I could gain much by an exhaust change. I'd have to do some digging to find the dyno sheet from back then, but the car made either 412 or 415 to the tires. Exact combo??? Nope, but a stock cube LS1 making within 5hp to the tires of the OP, so you're right, not even remotely close and clearly apples to oranges and of zero help in comparison... The comment regarding changing headers and y without changing the cat back and expecting a change? This was years before the Kooks or Bassani dual systems came out, and according to everyone, long tubes would mop the floor with the Mac midlengths through whatever cat back you were running (and got the dual cut out y pipe to avoid any restriction in the 3" single cat back). Forgive me as this was 7-9 years ago, so I don't recall the exact number of passes and I don't feel like digging through EVERY timeslip I have (and yes, I do keep them ALL), but I made roughly 30-40 passes before and after in similar conditions (including cut outs closed/open on the same day) and for the sake of comparison left out the track visits on days that had noticeably better/worse air. Did I at any point say long tubes weren't any better than Mac's or that the Bassani was lacking in any way? NO. Would the Bassani make a MARGINAL difference in power for the OP? Possibly, but his current exhaust is pretty efficient at his CURRENT power level. OP, if you want the Bassani then get it, because you want it and aren't content with your current exhaust, but be ready for a minimal seat of the pants (if any) improvement.
Dont sweat it Silver. If you look at the ages of some of these kids, its below 30. That might explain a few things.
Old 03-19-2013, 08:08 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by 98 Silver SS
I assume you were referring to me, you specifically pointed out that mac's did nothing to help you in multiple posts. To anyone reading that it would say you think they are just as good as LT's which is just simply not true. One case doesn't invalidate thousands of other people's results. You are right, there is nothing wrong with a well thought out single exhaust but to say lt's wont do much of anything over mac mids not true. I dont believe anyone said that the bassani would be a huge sotp mod just that it would be better than what he currently has.

Also fwiw coming in here, getting your panties in a wad, and claiming we're all a bunch of cocky ***** because we disagree with your opinion doesn't make you sound very mature. We're going off many others and our own facts.

Originally Posted by slow ride 02
Dont sweat it Silver. If you loo
k at the ages of some of these kids, its below 30. That might explain a few things.
I helped you in another thread about the monster clutch weight, and I'm well below 30. I dont mean to come off like a dick but ******** come in all ages. Age and maturity are not the same thing. I don't display my age on here because many have that mind set that younger people are arrogant and rude, which in the end isn't really fair to me or anyone else.

To the op. If you are not happy with your exhaust the bassani would def be an improvement. I think you would gain something by going to the duals, how much is hard to exactly say. The bassani is a straight through design and the insides look a lot like a chamber muffler. So before you would go cutting it up to make it like the kooks system I invite you to look at the muffler. The bassani muffler is actually 2 mufflers, neither pipe ever intersects the other in the muffler case. They're merely enclosed in the same housing. So by cutting it out and remounting two bullets all your really doing is maybe changing the tone and location, nothing more.

If you are after max power and want something you can feel and see proof of, then I suggest doing LT's said and done. I would think you would probably gain 10whp hp up top and a lot more under the curve especially since you are H/C

Last edited by redbird555; 03-19-2013 at 08:18 AM.
Old 03-19-2013, 12:49 PM
TECH Resident

I helped you in another thread about the monster clutch weight, and I'm well below 30. I dont mean to come off like a dick but ******** come in all ages. Age and maturity are not the same thing. I don't display my age on here because many have that mind set that younger people are arrogant and rude, which in the end isn't really fair to me or anyone else.

You one of the few sonny boy. I like you kid....
Old 03-19-2013, 12:57 PM
TECH Veteran

So I've been told. Thank you good sir.
Old 03-19-2013, 12:59 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by redbird555
So I've been told. Thank you good sir.
No, thank you! Thanks for the help..
Old 03-20-2013, 12:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Siciliano15
yea i think what i am gonna do is get the bassani, and the part after the axle im gonna modify it and make it more like the kooks system where there is one round muffler on each side right before the tips. may be able to use the loudmouth piping thats on the car now to do this...
Yes you can. I have a bunch of pictures saved on my computer on stock cars that have the bassani true dual system on it. If you have the money you do whatever you want, unlike me, I have to get piece by piece by piece.
Old 04-14-2013, 03:52 AM
Launching!

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm glad it can be done because I also was thinking about getting the Bassani system and modifying after the axle. I don't like the look of that 180 degree bend at all. Rather have 2 Dynomax bullets anyways. But I wouldn't trust a shop to custom fab the whole system over the axle.... Rather have the insurance of knowing I have a quality system that will go over that axle easy then have a shop do the easy part.
Old 04-11-2015, 12:16 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 350 Likes on 239 Posts

Can you still use a drive shaft safety loop with the Basani?
Old 04-11-2015, 10:06 AM
TECH Veteran

You would probably want to double check with the specific loop you want to get. However on my setup there looks to be plenty of room for a loop
Old 04-11-2015, 07:58 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 350 Likes on 239 Posts

Originally Posted by redbird555
You would probably want to double check with the specific loop you want to get. However on my setup there looks to be plenty of room for a loop
I already have a Lakewood loop. Thanks, I'm going to get this system and hook to some kooks 1 7/8 " headers.

Quick Reply: slp 3" magnamouth vs bassani 2½" true duals