Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help... Power Steering Cap pops off

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2004, 12:22 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help... Power Steering Cap pops off

I was racing at motorsport ranch in Cresson, Tx this weekend and my power steering cap popped off and fluid went everywhere, burning out the ps pump.

I replaced the pump, refilled the ps fluid and the system is still very foamy and when I go through the bleed procedure the foam never seems to reduce itself. (60+ full turns of the wheel)Also after starting the engine, the system pressurizes and taking the cap off is like taking off the radiator cap. There is a whole lot of pressure in there (makes a pop sound when I remove the cap), and I see lots of rushing fluid movement in the reservoir. I checked out our grand prix, and when started there is no movement of fluid that is apparent to the naked eye. (Grand Prix works fine)

Another question is, when I took the reservoir off of the pump I noticed that the place where the top part of the pump and the reservoir connect that there seems to be a plastic covering on the reservoir not a completely open hole? Is this normal? when I put fluid in the reservoir upside down in that whole it was slowly abosorbed into the reservoir.
Old 04-22-2004, 09:27 AM
pjb
TECH Resident

my 98 ss had a leak in the power steering cooler tube, located in the upper radiator hose. It allowed the PS fluid and coolant to mix. test for this by getting a radiator pressure tester, available as loaner from autozone, pressurize the radiator and look for bubbles in the PS resevoir. I was losing my PS fluid at a very rapid rate when this occured. the replacement is easy.
Old 08-01-2004, 11:41 AM
On The Tree

Since my car was new my power steering reservoir pressurizes. It will seep a little fluid from around the cap but otherwise maintains the fluid level. I recently replaced the power steering pump because it started leaking at the shaft and the new one does exactly the same thing. It never foamed. I wonder if having the factory power steering cooler makes a difference...I'm going to do that pressure test on the radiator.

Quick Reply: Help... Power Steering Cap pops off