Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Getting air out of cooling system???

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2013, 10:55 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Getting air out of cooling system???

Does anyone know a trick to getting the air out of the cooling system on my 2002 Z28, i am having a hell of a time. Any help would be appreciated. thanks
Old 04-10-2013, 11:04 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I jack up the front of the car some to get the radiator higher than the motor, then run it with the radiator cap off. While its running i will pump the 2 big hoses to the radiator by hand. Add coolant as the level drops in the rad. My car has always been a bitch to bleed as well, some times it takes a few heat cycles to get it just keep on it. I probably should buy a vac pump... but i like doing things the hard way.
Old 04-10-2013, 11:22 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by conan
I jack up the front of the car some to get the radiator higher than the motor, then run it with the radiator cap off. While its running i will pump the 2 big hoses to the radiator by hand. Add coolant as the level drops in the rad. My car has always been a bitch to bleed as well, some times it takes a few heat cycles to get it just keep on it. I probably should buy a vac pump... but i like doing things the hard way.
So after i flush the radiator i fill it up as much as i can with the car off/cool? Jack the front of the car up, when the level drops i just fill it up again? But when it cools back down, and i check the radiator it is always low again. Do i just add more then with the car cool? Or do i warm the car up to temp then add? *** man ive been trying to get this fixed for 2 days??????
Old 04-10-2013, 11:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts

add coolant with it off till it fills up the radiator. squeeze the top and bottom radiator hoses and you will see bubbles come out. add more fluid till it fills back up. Turn the car on with the cap off and let it run. the water pump will cycle the fluid and release more bubbles. fill as needed. you will notice the fluid start smoking as it gets hotter. put the cap on and drive it a few minutes. let it cool and take off the cap and check the level. if it is low add more coolant till it is full. repeat process and check the fluid level a few days after just to make sure. good luck
Old 04-11-2013, 12:10 AM
On The Tree

Thanks for everybodys help... just bought an radiator vacuum pump off Amazon.com, helps that i work there and get a discount so it wasn't bad. Im just tired of screwing with it. But thanks again for all the posts. Btw if u want one here is the link.

UView 550000 Airlift Cooling System Leak Checker and Airlock Purge Tool Kit : Amazon.com : Automotive UView 550000 Airlift Cooling System Leak Checker and Airlock Purge Tool Kit : Amazon.com : Automotive
Old 04-11-2013, 08:21 AM
10 Second Club

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

I've never had a problem getting air out of a LS car. I leave the car on the ground with the cap off, start it, add coolant and squeeze the hoses by hand. Worked everytime.

Quick Reply: Getting air out of cooling system???