Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Customizing CAI Fbody

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2013, 01:06 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Customizing CAI Fbody

so, ive been searching for a lid.. but the more i look at these engine bays, the more i realize... these damn lids are just cheap *** plastic that doesnt even fit right 9 times out of 10.

i was considering a FTP lid but again they even hit the hood...
so i was thinking myabe a clear mti lid.. cracks too often.. yada yada yada
volants are over priced and ive seen way to many bad posts about them

so the idea struck me...
why dont i clean it up a bit and just fab my own CAI

im not talking about chris1313...
like these: * i know these are FI but still...

basically, a few Spectra rubber couplers, some turbo piping and a Spectra cone style and ill be drawling the air from the hole under the turnsignal. my air pump was removed long ago so i figure it will have plenty of room
I think ill be running a 3.5" piping... maybe 3" ill be checking this weekend and fabing up the setup

im still searching for ideas on how to stabilize this set up. i figure i may just have to zip tie it or maybe rig some exhaust hanger(s)

also does anyone know of a cheap site to buy some turbo piping?
found some on ebay and autozone sells some but its about $20 a piece

I could just pony up the cash and buy the direct fit parts from Brutespeed but hey wheres the fun in that?!?!
Old 03-06-2013, 01:12 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Let me know how this goes! I've been thinking about this as well. I even moved my radiator verticle like most turbo guys do but I'm sticking to N/A.
Old 03-06-2013, 01:24 AM
TECH Resident

here is a link to the radiator support i will be using
http://shop.brutespeed.com/ATI-MF006...MF006A-003.htm

it looks as if i will need to make it 3" to fit down into the wheel well and it may help with hood clearance anyhow
Old 03-06-2013, 01:31 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 02CamZ28
Let me know how this goes! I've been thinking about this as well. I even moved my radiator verticle like most turbo guys do but I'm sticking to N/A.
yeah. i wonder if i will have to do this as well..
im hoping the 3" will fit without modification
i dont know hard it is to adjust the radiator, but ill letcha know

I need to figure out what i am going to do with that sensor that it in the lid. i suppose i could drill a whole in the aluminum piping and use the preexisting grommit
is there any certain guidelines as to the placement of this sensor?

oh and if this works..
I dub this the Jadedbird mod

Last edited by Jadedbird; 03-06-2013 at 03:06 AM.
Old 03-06-2013, 06:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check out how the LT1 and 3.4 guys do their intakes... they have it going into the fender like that.

Old 03-06-2013, 07:37 AM
Launching!

Meh, thats really nothing new at all. You can stick any aftermarket lt1 cai on there and end up with what your trying to do. 3.5"-4" tubing would definitely net the same results as a lid. Thats what I have to do with my ls swap because a lid wont fit under the hood. With the filter in that hole you can cut a hole in the plastic and fab up something to catch and direct the air to the filter, in theory with out a wind tunnel lol. I have a link to some silicon cuplers and turbo piping but i doubt their a sponser.
Old 03-06-2013, 08:02 AM
TECH Junkie

just curious what your reasoning for doing something like that is...? i think a lid looks much cleaner and offers the same if not more performance capability than one of those goofy looking cai induction setups.

good luck with whatever you do. fwiw i bought a whisper lid 7 years ago and i've had 0 problems out of it.
Old 03-06-2013, 09:04 AM
TECH Fanatic

Longer tubing + more bends = slower intake air velocity and less power.
Old 03-06-2013, 10:37 AM
TECH Resident

Well like i said, the lids in my opinion are junk. Ive went thru several lids and found each lacking in fitment. I dont see how i can loose that much hp. (Maybe 1 or 2 at the most) the cone style filter is a better performing filter compared to our nice little POS filter.

My dad also told me to consider relocating the battery and putting the filter in that location.
I will be going through several options and ideas
Old 03-06-2013, 12:33 PM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

My SLP lid fits perfect now that I switched to an Airaid filter. Not sure what it is about it, but I always had issues with K&N and paper filters.

While I don't really see anything "wrong" with your idea, I'm thinking it may be extra "work" for something that may not be better. I understand why you're considering it, though.
Old 03-06-2013, 12:59 PM
Launching!

Ive seen back to back dynos with a lid and a lt1 style cai. A lot of lt1 guys wanted to switch to a lid. The gain from the lt1 style cai to lid was about 1-2 horsepower. Fwiw, according to my local lsx shop the loss is from the 3" or so piping. If you can fit a 4" tube for the whole intake there is virtually no difference.
Old 03-06-2013, 02:04 PM
TECH Resident

4 will be pushing it.
but would be possible if i relocated the fuseboxes or battery
Old 03-06-2013, 04:12 PM
Launching!

Yeah he told me i needed to delete abs to allow the 4" piping to fit. Not doing that lol theres other ways to make things fit.
Old 03-06-2013, 04:24 PM
TECH Resident

why not go over the radiator with a 90* bend and drop the filter down in the front like a few guys on here have done. i was thinking about doing it myself for a whiile, just dunno if its worth it. it looks a hell of a lot better then a lid and the setup your trying to run, its one coupler from tb to pipe, a 90* bend down to a filer. you have to notch the top of the radiator a little bit to allow the pipe to sit on and run down
Old 03-06-2013, 04:25 PM
TECH Resident

and i believe the setup i just mentioned uses 4" piping also so that would solve all your problems
Old 03-06-2013, 09:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mikh338
why not go over the radiator with a 90* bend and drop the filter down in the front like a few guys on here have done. i was thinking about doing it myself for a whiile, just dunno if its worth it. it looks a hell of a lot better then a lid and the setup your trying to run, its one coupler from tb to pipe, a 90* bend down to a filer. you have to notch the top of the radiator a little bit to allow the pipe to sit on and run down
This is what I would like to do, but I did the verticle radiator mod to clean up the engine bay and now i'm trying to figure out something like the OP.
Old 03-06-2013, 11:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

A lid is worth about .2 at the track over an elbow setup. Search any GTO forum and you will find this beaten to death. Keep the lid
Old 03-07-2013, 06:36 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 02CamZ28
This is what I would like to do, but I did the verticle radiator mod to clean up the engine bay and now i'm trying to figure out something like the OP.
ooohh, i didnt see you moved your radiator so what i said would not work lol
Old 03-07-2013, 06:42 AM
TECH Resident

If i could find a quality lid then i wouldnt bother with it, but its not all about numbers for me. My t/a is more of a show and play than a competative type.
Sure ill lose that .2 on the 1/4 mile and that 2-5hp. But my konis/stranos are gonna make me lose another .5. and besides my ls2 will be pressing 450 easy.

Also i am not much of a fan of the straight on 90s. They are alright but in my option (and this is strickly a matter of what appeals to you) i like they "lt1" style elbow intakes.

And i know this isnt new and that most run these on lt1s but ive never seen a ls1 running the style of CAI like what im planning. I have seen the straight on 90 bend like me tio ed earlier.
Old 03-07-2013, 10:19 AM
12 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Jadedbird
If i could find a quality lid then i wouldnt bother with it
Blackwing.

Quick Reply: Customizing CAI Fbody