Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Battery Relocation....where to get and how

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2004, 04:30 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Battery Relocation....where to get and how

do I install one of these relocation kits?

I want to take my car to the track and not have problems about my battery not being safe. So any of you have any tips or anything I should know?

thanks

Last edited by SStroked 410; 04-27-2004 at 04:39 PM.
Old 04-27-2004, 05:43 PM
TECH Veteran

try doing a search. i believe a few of our sponsors carry these kits-------->
Old 04-27-2004, 05:46 PM
TECH Junkie

To be safe youll need to get it actually enclosed in a metal casing and you will also have to get a disconnect switch. I think thunderracing sells everything you need.
Old 04-27-2004, 11:02 PM
The Bull

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

It's quite simple to do yourself. If you do not have anything in the spare wheel well that's a very nice place to put it. I bought a sealed battery box from Summit Racing. They sell one under their name that fits in the wheel well like it was made to be there.

I placed a small piece of 4x4 underneath the box to support it. Then I bolted through the side of the box to the inner side of the car. Mount your battery in it. Run the ground out to a good spot on the car. There is a bolt where the passenger side safety belt mounts too. If you removed those you can simply put a ring terminal on a section of 2ga welding or battery cable and ground it there.

Then you need a cutoff switch. I used a flaming river switch as it came with all the hardware. The Moroso switch is nice, but you have to pay more to get all of the same stuff. Just mount that in a spot that's appropriate. I mounted mine so that the push/pull is in the upper right hand corner of the license plate bucket. It's also placed so that your t-tops will clear it fine. From there you need to run one 2ga wire from the battery side of the switch to the alternator. You need another 2ga wire from the disconnect side of the switch to the fuse box and the starter. You can run one 2ga up and use a distribution block to tie in the starter and the fuse block if you want.

That's pretty much it. The main reason for placing the alternator and battery on the same side of the switch is quite simple. Under operating conditions both supply 14v and you need to be able to disconnect ALL power when you push the lever. If you don't do this you could push the lever all day and the car will still have power while running.

Here are some pics. http://www.derty.org/382SR/battery.zip
Old 04-28-2004, 06:40 PM
TECH Regular

thanks

do I have to have a switch? What if I were to just put the battery in a sealed battery box from Summit Racing like you said and let it turn on and off when I turn the car on/off like normal. I just dont like too many switches all over the car
Old 04-28-2004, 06:41 PM
The Bull

That would be fine too. Just not NHRA legal that's all.
Old 04-28-2004, 07:08 PM
TECH Veteran

Derty is this the Moroso switch you are running?
Old 04-28-2004, 07:15 PM
The Bull

That one will work. But I'm using a flaming river one instead. This one: http://store.summitracing.com/partde...A%2DFR1003%2D2
Old 04-28-2004, 07:18 PM
TECH Veteran

Is there a way for you to disconnect the push/pull rod so say when I have my car on the street somebody cant go up and turn off the power to my car and alarm?

I have to check out your pics when I get home since no Winzip on my ghetto office computer.
Old 04-28-2004, 08:57 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Where does the BMR kit mount the battery? I just removed the spare tire and jack and now the rear end is sitting about 3/4" higher and I would like to put some weight back there. Anyone have any pics?