Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Alternator issues?!

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2013, 09:12 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Alternator issues?!

i have a 99 firebird formula, a few days ago i was driving home and all the gauges, lights and radio when crazy on me and then died shorty afterwards so i replaced the alternator the other day and it fired right up. Seemed to be pulling around 14v's at he battery so i took it around the block and it did the same thing about a min into the drive. But when i was pulling it home in my truck after a few hundred feet or so my brother said all the lights came back on and it was able to start up and drive for about another block before it did the excalt same thing, and when i pulled it the rest of the way home it fired right up in the drive way. Any idea or suggests, also iv noticed my power steering has been getting worst so i looked and any leaks and did really notice any and the resivor is full but im not ruling that out all the way.
Thank you
Old 06-21-2013, 09:45 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Power steering & deep water are the 2 main killers of these alternators. We can thank GM for the placement. Check for fluid leaks, you can't miss it if its dripping on the alternator. Also check the red wire that attaches to the alternator, it's very small & when it comes loose or gets worn/torn it can cause these issues. Last have your battery checked, if it has a bad cell it can cause the same issues.
Old 06-21-2013, 10:06 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well iv made sure that the exciter wire got put back on right and didnt get pulled out is there any way to check though to be 100%. Also if PS fuild did drip into the alt. is it toast or does it just need to dry out and replace the Power steering pump?
Old 06-21-2013, 10:26 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Too much fluid in the alternator can cause it to fail. Double check the exciter wire for damage, it too me a while to find the damaged spot on mine & I had to cut it off & crimp a new piece of wire on to fix it. You might not need a new pump assembly, check the hoses for leaks, I have had to replace hoses on mine but not the pump assembly or reservoir.

Might also for good measure if everything else checks out have the alternator itself checked out, you can get them with bad internals right off the shelf, I had to go through 3 from O'Reilly's before I got one that was good. Reman parts are just crap quality these days from the big box stores.

Quick Reply: Alternator issues?!