Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

So I ported my Fast 90 to 92mm

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2013, 08:36 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default So I ported my Fast 90 to 92mm

After finding out that the 90 was the same thing as the 92, but with a smaller opening I knew I had to open it up. Then I figured, why stop there? Well I ported my Fast to get rid of the "wedge" and remove any casting marks on the top or in the runners. I didn't get into the middle or lower sections. I used a Dremel with a 60 grit drumroll to clean up the wedge, then hand sanded the ports and casting marks with 120 and 200 grit. I didn't want to use a die grinder or go too deep with the Dremel because it actually felt that I would be changing the design/structure of the runner. It has that hump leading up to the wedge where it helps compress the air and should help velocity. If you go too deep with a die grinder then you open the whole runner but it still bottlenecks back down, so it leaves sort of a chamber right before the port instead of compressing like the original design. SO you can still see where the wedge was originally but it's blended pretty well and since air comes off a slight hump from the inside I don't see the small slit being a problem. I'm going to touch up the port with some 400 grit to ensure it's truly flat and smooth, then clean everything with a brillo pad, soap, and water. Finally I painted the top because the grey was not cutting it. I thought about getting creative and re-painting the letters red, but I got lazy. I didn't change the port size as I want to port match the Fast to my heads and the heads are being cleaned and flow tested. So here it is.

Stock Port
[IMG][/IMG]

Stock Port vs Dremel cut
[IMG][/IMG]

Close up of Dremel cut
[IMG][/IMG]

Dremel cut from inside

After hand sanding

Another port after hand sanding
[IMG][/IMG]

Opened the snout out to 92.5 once i smoothed with sandpaper
[IMG][/IMG]

Finally I painted the top black gloss
[IMG][/IMG]
Old 06-18-2013, 09:10 PM
11 Second Club

Looks like it takes some time to get it right and smooth to cut down on turbulence, looks good and was FREE lol Nice
Old 06-18-2013, 09:56 PM
Staging Lane

awesome job, how much time do you have into it?
Old 06-18-2013, 10:02 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 1BAD98LS1
Looks like it takes some time to get it right and smooth to cut down on turbulence, looks good and was FREE lol Nice
Originally Posted by matt99
awesome job, how much time do you have into it?
Thanks! The first side took about 3-4 hours as I was feeling my way, the 2nd side took about half that. The very first port I did took about 1 hour all by itself. Lol. Once I knew how deep to cut with the dremel it was much quicker. I did the snout last and it was pretty fast because I was real comfortable with the Dremel by then.

You can't beat free!
Old 06-19-2013, 06:17 AM
On The Tree

That looks awesome! Now to hunt down a 90 for a good deal
Old 06-19-2013, 08:27 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by BoostinIx
That looks awesome! Now to hunt down a 90 for a good deal

Thanks I appreciate it. You're never quite sure how things come out until you get objective feedback. This is definitely something I wouldn't mind doing on the side if there's a market. ::hint hint::
Old 06-19-2013, 10:46 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Great work!!! All that work will pay off for you.
Old 06-19-2013, 11:29 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Rise of the Phoenix
Great work!!! All that work will pay off for you.
Thanks! I really appreciate all positive feedback. I was a little worried I had hacked it up but it seems I didn't. Whew.
Old 06-19-2013, 12:33 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by 420gto
Thanks! I really appreciate all positive feedback. I was a little worried I had hacked it up but it seems I didn't. Whew.
I assume this was your first time doing any type of port work? I will for sure be doing this once I get a FAST setup.
Old 06-19-2013, 12:52 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Rise of the Phoenix
I assume this was your first time doing any type of port work? I will for sure be doing this once I get a FAST setup.
Yea it was my first port job. Once I realized how easy it was to cut thru the Fast it went very smoothly. The Fast material is very similar to other materials I've worked with before. I've done sanding and finishing on furniture and office equipment so that part was natural.

Hopefully I get some more chances at it. It was quite fun.
Old 06-19-2013, 01:03 PM
11 Second Club

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

I did mine a long time ago with the little dremel sanding cartridges. Very easy to work with since it doesn't melt.

Before:

After:

also got rid of this crap:

Old 06-19-2013, 02:03 PM
Staging Lane

Looks good. I sanded that curved rubber portion as well. Amazing how many casting marks stick out right along that curve.
Old 06-19-2013, 02:28 PM
10 Second Club

I also have a 90 that's been ported to 92. I bought mine used and the previous owner didn't even know it was ported. No one knows who ported it but it appears very well done. I am also running a 92mm TB. I would think you'd pick up a few ponies - I wish I knew exactly what a port job like this would improve HP but I don't know of anyone who dynoed before and after with this being the only improvement.
Old 06-19-2013, 02:40 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by high impact
I also have a 90 that's been ported to 92. I bought mine used and the previous owner didn't even know it was ported. No one knows who ported it but it appears very well done. I am also running a 92mm TB. I would think you'd pick up a few ponies - I wish I knew exactly what a port job like this would improve HP but I don't know of anyone who dynoed before and after with this being the only improvement.
I wanted to do a before and after run but couldn't get everything setup for it. I'd like to see some numbers but everyone usually gets a port job before initial install.

So you got real lucky. Lol. Nice. My opening was actually a hair under 90mm. I think 89.75 or 89.80. I can't be quite positive. I think 93.5-94 is the widest you can go and keep the TB seal many bigger and you need to seal with silicone.
Old 06-19-2013, 02:44 PM
10 Second Club

Mine is still sitting on the shelf next to my cam, springs and line lock. I can't hardly wait until I have time to install but I am kinda torn - I want to get my car to run 11.90 before I install the intake and cam. I hear great things about those Livernois stg 2 heads!
Old 06-19-2013, 03:16 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by high impact
Mine is still sitting on the shelf next to my cam, springs and line lock. I can't hardly wait until I have time to install but I am kinda torn - I want to get my car to run 11.90 before I install the intake and cam. I hear great things about those Livernois stg 2 heads!
I'm excited about the Livernois heads. I got a great deal on them. They're being prepped and flowed so I can order a cam. Going to get a Pat G recommendation because I'm being very picky about a smooth, quiet idle. I haven't had to stare at these parts for very long, thankfully. Lol. After the cam I just need the odds and ends like gaskets, oil pump, and timing chain then it's go time.
Old 06-19-2013, 07:16 PM
TECH Addict

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I took a weekend and did mine too, even port matched it to my heads. It's time consuming but not hard if you just take your time. A lot of people are afraid to do this on their own and they shouldn't be.
Old 06-19-2013, 09:06 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by BrntWS6
I took a weekend and did mine too, even port matched it to my heads. It's time consuming but not hard if you just take your time. A lot of people are afraid to do this on their own and they shouldn't be.
Well if buy it new with the rails and fuel line it's like $1200. So I can understand the anxiety over cutting up your brand new toy. Lol. But if you have worked with a dremel or die grinder before and done sanding/finishing before it's a lot easier than it looks. Like you said, just meticulous. Now I could probably do a port job, I'm assuming its a stage 2(ports and casting marks on the top and runners), in like 4 hours add the snout and/or the bottom in 5-6 hours total.

Painting in like 3-4 hours simply because you need to wait between coats.
Old 06-20-2013, 02:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hmm...

Ive never actually looked inside my FAST even though I separated the top half and re-sealed it at one point. There was some hints that it might have been ported when the previous owner had it, and I keep forgetting to look. I kind of think its not touched...

If its not, Im going to port match it and do some work like you've done. I dont know if Ill open up to 92... I have a Nick Williams 90mm TB now, so I dont want to have to mess with that or step up if I can help it.

420gto (and others who have worked out the 90mm) what are you running for a throttle body now??

J.

Last edited by ghettocruiser; 06-20-2013 at 02:22 PM.
Old 06-20-2013, 03:10 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by ghettocruiser
Hmm...

Ive never actually looked inside my FAST even though I separated the top half and re-sealed it at one point. There was some hints that it might have been ported when the previous owner had it, and I keep forgetting to look. I kind of think its not touched...

If its not, Im going to port match it and do some work like you've done. I dont know if Ill open up to 92... I have a Nick Williams 90mm TB now, so I dont want to have to mess with that or step up if I can help it.

420gto (and others who have worked out the 90mm) what are you running for a throttle body now??

J.
I'm putting a NW 92 TB with the Fast. It's pretty obvious if it's been ported because it won't be that solid black color. Opening it up to 92mm was easier than the port work. Once I get my heads back I'll port match everything.

Quick Reply: So I ported my Fast 90 to 92mm