Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gen3 to gen4 cam sensor

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2013, 10:12 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gen3 to gen4 cam sensor

Hello,
I would like to convert my Gen3 to a Gen4, I already have the 58x reluctor, 4x cam, intake, throttle body,..... Got all the sensors, but only one remaining the cam sensor which is mounted on the front of the gen4. To keep the cost low (almost free, my brother is a welder), I would like to weld an aluminum flange for the sensor, instead of buying a gen4 cam cover. Could someone tell me what is the thickness of that flange, thanks in advance.
Old 07-14-2013, 01:19 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Timing cover is 40-50 dollars brand new from gm with the sensor already installed. Be smart don't waste time or money trying to fab one there is way more involved than a simple flange weld job. The sensor clearance is critical for proper operation.

What are you trying to accomplish it's hardly worth the effort for a no gain situation. The gen 3 0411 pcm is waaaaay more than capable of controlling any LS motor combo thrown at it forced air or natural induction.
Old 07-14-2013, 05:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Or if You live close Ruperts used auto parts in Oklahoma has those gen4 timing covers 4 $35 including sensor. And 1 other thing to note is the 1 and 3 wires are reversed from gen 3 to gen 4 cam sensor,,,,the outside 2 wires of the 3 wires total.
Old 12-16-2016, 07:40 AM
Teching In

Bringing this thread back from the dead... but I did the gen 4 cam sensor swap on my LM7 5.3 Gen 3 and had a question hopefully someone can answer me. I did the edlebrock 2pc gen 4 timing cover, pulled the rear gen 3 sensor, switched the cam gear to the 24x 1x 05 GTO unit and switched wires 1 and 3 on the sensor wiring.

Only part I have not addressed is the gaping hole in the back of the block. I don't want to leave the old sensor in, nor do I want to leave the hole open so before I go make piece of metal to cover the hole does anyone make a gen 3 LS cam sensor block off plate?
Old 04-17-2017, 10:09 AM
Teching In

Only part I have not addressed is the gaping hole in the back of the block. I don't want to leave the old sensor in, nor do I want to leave the hole open so before I go make piece of metal to cover the hole does anyone make a gen 3 LS cam sensor block off plate?[/QUOTE]

^my question as well?
Old 02-07-2018, 04:49 PM
Teching In

I realize this is an old thread but just in case this is still needed
http://www.ictbillet.com/ls-camshaft...k-off-cap.html
Old 02-07-2018, 07:23 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by SteveA
I realize this is an old thread but just in case this is still needed
http://www.ictbillet.com/ls-camshaft...k-off-cap.html
I just ended up leaving the old sensor in and left it unplugged. Seems to working alright.

Quick Reply: Gen3 to gen4 cam sensor