Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2001 ws6 Exhaust question ( Flowmaster, super 10, super 44, 40 or 80 seris )?

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2013, 09:55 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2001 ws6 Exhaust question ( Flowmaster, super 10, super 44, 40 or 80 seris )?

Opinions please..... I am in need of some help, in determining which of the flowmasters to put on my 01 ws6. I have listened to countless soundclips of different exhaust setups, and the flowmasters are the ones I've decided to go with ( although I have considered Borla ). I'm more concerned with sound vs power, as I have read that Flowmaster does tend to give you a reduction in power. Here's the thing.... I called 2 local shops and I also called Flowmaster directly, and I asked all three of them the same question ( which would sound best and give me the deepest sound, with the least amount of rasp ). They told me I could only put on the 80 series, unless I was willing to give up not having dual exhaust anymore. Is anyone familar with how to get around this or what would be involved in still having my dual exhast saved, while being able to use the series 40 or are the 80's what I'm stuck with. Anything is better than the stock I currently have, thats for sure. Thanks for everyones help and opinions - Mike
Old 07-16-2013, 10:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

I assume they mean the 80 series is the only muffler they offer that comes with one inlet and two outlets so you can have your two tips out the back. Did you check there website? You can also look into magnaflow as most forum member like them. I have one, nice rumble while cruising, loud when you get on it.
Old 07-17-2013, 03:08 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I have an 80 series on my car right now. I love the sound (LT's and cammed) of it but Holy Hell is it restrictive!! They do not fell well at all and is choking the **** out of my motor!
Old 07-17-2013, 04:31 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

magnaflow would probably give you the deepest sound without rasp, followed by the aerochamber. the flowmaster 80 series is not a deep muffler, and tends to get raspy.

I had a dumped 40 on my lt1 and it was deep and clean, but it had cats on it. The 40's on my Cuda are deep and only rasp around 5k-6.5k and clean up around 7k. But mopars are the deepest motors ive heard
Old 07-17-2013, 06:55 AM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The only mod my car had when I bought it was a Flowmaster 80-series (which is the only cross flow muffler they make; it's specific for f-body). It had a nice growl when that was the only exhaust mod I had, but it wasn't all that loud. I just added long tubes and a catless Y -- it sounds good, but not as loud as I thought it was going to be. It's definitely not that "classic" Flowmaster sound (IMO, anyway). Nonetheless, I'll be going true duals when I end up doing a cam. In the mean time, however, I'm happy with the 80 series and my long tubes.
Old 07-17-2013, 09:33 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 206 Likes on 173 Posts

80 series sounds good on a manifold/cats car. If you're looking for louder, get an LM-1 or LM-2. I have a couple of friends that have had them, and I think you'll be pleased with the sound of the FM 80.
Old 07-18-2013, 03:43 AM

I just put a Gibson Super Truck system on my 01 Silverado w/ a 5.3 in it, sounds really good and pretty cheap too. It's a catback with dumps in front of the passenger side rear tire, like a NASCAR truck. Best of all, it was bolt in, took me less than an hour to pull the old Flowmaster system down and install the Gibson. Got it from Summit, for about $400.

Quick Reply: 2001 ws6 Exhaust question ( Flowmaster, super 10, super 44, 40 or 80 seris )?