Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2000 z after heads cam and ls6 swap

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2013, 11:51 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dr_whigham
Guys, he already said Mike tuned the injectors. He couldn't tune for the CAM bc of the vacuum leak.

As mentioned, if you're running extensions, check them out. I'd personally spend the half hour and just re-pin the PCM so you can plug the O2's into the REAR O2 plugs. Then there's no need to use extensions.

As for the vacuum leak:

Lastly, check the tiny vacuum line (HVAC Control) that goes from the passenger side rear of the intake over towards the passenger hood hinge area. Check for any breaks or cracks. Then check the little 3 way T (it's like a bulb, has some size to it). Spray some Carb Cleaner around and listen for the idle to shoot up.

i am not using extensions i am using bosch 13111 o2's. i also used carb cleaner on all hvac lines and intake itself but there is no change in rpm at all, so at this point should i continue with unplugging the sensors to make sure its the o2's?
Old 08-04-2013, 12:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

also another weird thing i forgot to mention that the car does, on cold start the car starts up just fine and i let it warm up and drive it around just fine as well but if i shut the car off and go to turn it back on it does not want to turn over almost as if its flooded.
Old 08-05-2013, 07:34 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That last post sounds like you may have a leaky injector. And also OP when I had my heads and can install I had the Bosch 13111 sensors like you. I kept fouling them out I switched to the Denso 02 sensors and been problem free since.
Old 08-05-2013, 10:00 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BigBirdLS1
That last post sounds like you may have a leaky injector. And also OP when I had my heads and can install I had the Bosch 13111 sensors like you. I kept fouling them out I switched to the Denso 02 sensors and been problem free since.
do the the denso 02s come longer like the 13111's?
Old 08-05-2013, 10:57 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by blackfbird98
do the the denso 02s come longer like the 13111's?
they have them both, short and long wires.
Old 08-05-2013, 03:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by omarrakeen
they have them both, short and long wires.
when you had unplugged your o2's did you do it on cold start or had you let the car warm up first?
Old 08-05-2013, 04:35 PM
TECH Addict

when you had unplugged your o2's did you do it on cold start or had you let the car warm up first?
O2 sensors wont operate till car reaches operating temperature anyway. nothing wrong will happen lol its giving you codes anyway if you're too worried get a set and swap them out.
Old 08-05-2013, 06:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

so lets all recap for a second, at this point my problem has been narrowed down to either my fuel injectors or my oxygen sensors, the thing that confuses me is that its the ENTIRE driver side, all cylinders, that are running lean so is it more possible that all 4 injectors would fail on that side or would it be the sensor on the drivers side thats giving me a p0131 be the one to blame?
Old 08-05-2013, 07:26 PM
TECH Addict

so lets all recap for a second, at this point my problem has been narrowed down to either my fuel injectors or my oxygen sensors, the thing that confuses me is that its the ENTIRE driver side, all cylinders, that are running lean so is it more possible that all 4 injectors would fail on that side or would it be the sensor on the drivers side thats giving me a p0131 be the one to blame?
I think both would cause the same outcome I could be wrong though. start with the easiest which are the O2s if it didnt resolve there goes your problem. plus there is a code. you should start from there.
Old 08-05-2013, 08:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by omarrakeen
I think both would cause the same outcome I could be wrong though. start with the easiest which are the O2s if it didnt resolve there goes your problem. plus there is a code. you should start from there.
i appreciate your feedback thus far you have been very helpful
Old 08-05-2013, 09:18 PM
TECH Addict

i appreciate your feedback thus far you have been very helpful
thats what the tech is for. you are welcome dont forget to update this. goodluck
Old 08-05-2013, 09:30 PM
TECH Resident

Put a vaccum gauge on the car and see what the vaccum is doing. Do you have access to a scan gauge to read what the o2 sensors are doing? If you can get a hold of a scan gauge that will make things much easier on you. Hell even a aerofource interceptor will help you
Old 08-05-2013, 09:54 PM
On The Tree

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Try the sensor as said above, they do go bad and loose calibration, or simply fail (usually a heater short)

Also its probably not the all the cylinders an that side that are seeing the issue, most likely one or two out of whack, in the end the reading will be off on that "Bank" since thats all it can read, it doesnt monitor individual cylinder AFRs, just averages all 4 on one side.

You could also swap the injectors from side to side and see if you get a code signaling the other bank, to see if the problem follows the injectors.
Old 08-06-2013, 10:26 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ds98formula
Put a vaccum gauge on the car and see what the vaccum is doing. Do you have access to a scan gauge to read what the o2 sensors are doing? If you can get a hold of a scan gauge that will make things much easier on you. Hell even a aerofource interceptor will help you
when I first went to have the car dynoed, he showed me the live readings and the drivers o2 was barely fluttering.
Old 08-06-2013, 10:29 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Speed Freek
Try the sensor as said above, they do go bad and loose calibration, or simply fail (usually a heater short)

Also its probably not the all the cylinders an that side that are seeing the issue, most likely one or two out of whack, in the end the reading will be off on that "Bank" since thats all it can read, it doesnt monitor individual cylinder AFRs, just averages all 4 on one side.

You could also swap the injectors from side to side and see if you get a code signaling the other bank, to see if the problem follows the injectors.

I had pulled each spark plug on the drivers side and the porcelain on each was white, passenger side was perfectly normal. as far as injectors if I find that they are no good I was almost considering throwing my old ones back on for the time being im just worried they wouldn't be able to hold up with the heads and cam.
Old 08-07-2013, 08:05 PM
11 Second Club

Your stock injectors would hold up fine for what you are doing. You have to get it retuned but if you did, it may help you to narrow your issue. You may run out of fuel up top with the stock injector but since that's not where your problem is its not an issue for testing purposes.
Old 08-08-2013, 03:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by leeluther252
Your stock injectors would hold up fine for what you are doing. You have to get it retuned but if you did, it may help you to narrow your issue. You may run out of fuel up top with the stock injector but since that's not where your problem is its not an issue for testing purposes.
technically since the car got a base tune for the bigger injectors wouldnt it be fine for the stock injectors?
Old 08-08-2013, 03:46 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Not really since it will no longer be pumping enough fuel.
Old 08-13-2013, 08:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

*UPDATE*

so per advice from omarrakeen i unplugged both oxygen sensors and the car idled ALOT better i even drove it a mile down the road, the only thing is it still hesitates a little then picks up speed once i give it gas and the other big thing that is till going on is if i shut it off for 5 min then go to start it back up it wont crank over on its own. it will want to start then stumble, then die, i HAVE to give it a little gas for it to start up to get it going, but the difference between now and last time is that this time with the o2 sensors unplugged, i dont have to give it as much gas to get it started and keep it started.
Old 08-15-2013, 10:27 AM
TECH Enthusiast

any ideas?

Quick Reply: 2000 z after heads cam and ls6 swap