Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

cooling fan/ radiator question

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2013, 10:24 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cooling fan/ radiator question

Hey guys, hope your labor day weekend is more relaxing than mine (im stuck at work all weekend)

Anyway, I've been doing some research on replacing my cracked radiator with an all aluminum be cool. While im in there I plan on replacing my factory cooling fans - they only come on when they want to and never run after I turn the car off, even if its overheating. Regardless, I want to upgrade them, any suggestions? This seems to be a topic that isnt much discussed, possibly because factory fans are already kick ***, not sure. Any feedback would be appreciated! Thanks!

Also if anyone has a link to a be cool radiator install on a ws6 trans am 6 speed (2000) I would love to read it!
Old 09-02-2013, 08:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 77 Likes on 56 Posts

I can't help you with the fans, but I'm sure I'm the first of several who will be telling you just to replace your radiator with an lt1 unit. I just finished installing a be cool bolt in on my 02 Camaro and it was barely bolt in... It expanded the fan to condenser distance by almost 2", it was missing a 3/8" and a 1/2" plug and it was awful to try and get the upper support bolted back in.

I can't help you with the fans, but for a radiator, just go with the lt1 piece.
Old 09-02-2013, 06:19 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 904 Likes on 645 Posts

Jake Fusion replaced his radiator with the Be cool unit and is happy with it.

When you say it's overheating how hot is "overheating"? Do that fans work correctly? Come on/off when they are suppose to?

The fans won't come on after the car is shut off unless its really hot. I want to say +250 or more but not 100% on that.
Old 09-02-2013, 06:21 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 904 Likes on 645 Posts

Don't go off the factory gauge as they are known to be very inaccurate. The only way to know for sure is using a scan tool or if you have an aftermarket temp gauge.
Old 09-04-2013, 11:20 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

it could be your relays too. am just saying just because they didnt turn on doesnt mean they are toasted. if the car is stock i would rather spend the money somewhere else. goodluck.
Old 09-04-2013, 09:45 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My be cool works fine, went in easy, no plastic tanks. I dont think I would do it again because it is a damn lot of money. Not sure about themealonwheels issues, but yeah running to the hardware store for a fuggin $800 radiator is BS.

There is another option that is not a griffin and bigger than the LT1. Cant remember but you should be able to search.

My stock fans will come on after it is off. Its not crazy hot, maybe 210. Mine has the trans cooler, I use it, and live on a steep mile long hill. Tends to run on a hot day after riding the stall up the hill with the AC on.

themealonwheels: did you bend the lip on the lower support flat to accomodate the much thicker radiator? (Sorry OP)
Old 09-04-2013, 11:14 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the pointers guys! I'll check the fans as soon as I get a chance, hopefully in the morning. Any advice on checking/ testing the relays? Im still on the fence about the radiators, I have the cash to spend on the be cool, my car is not stock and I live in an incredibly hot part of the country. Also not a newb when it comes to turning a wrench. On the other hand, dropping in a painless lt1 sounds inviting...
Old 09-05-2013, 05:52 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 77 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by therabidweasel
themealonwheels: did you bend the lip on the lower support flat to accomodate the much thicker radiator? (Sorry OP)
From the research I did, I didn't believe the Be Cool piece would be as well received as it appears to be... huh!

No, I did not bend the lip on the lower support, but I don't recall it interfering. I did trim the fan shroud just a little at the bottom where it was interfering with the new radiator itself, and I trimmed the lower rubber supports per the Be Cool instructions.

Now I will say, the radiator does its job in keeping the car cool! I noticed a difference just swapping from the LS1 radiator to the Be Cool 60028 piece, no change of fans, thermostat or water pump. So before I look like the bad guy here, let me double back and say it did make a difference in cooling. I just don't think the difference was justified with the trouble I had.

OP, hope we haven't got too far off your original intent of the thread.

Quick Reply: cooling fan/ radiator question