Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Summit vs Vibrant 3" SS V Band Clamp Assemblies

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2013, 05:20 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Summit vs Vibrant 3" SS V Band Clamp Assemblies

Right now my TSP headers are basically fused together to my stainless exhaust at the slip joint. I need to get the passenger side header out to work on a stripped exhaust bolt hole so I am going to install some flanges. I am looking at the SS Summit 3" v band clamp assembly ($36) and the Vibrant v band clamp assembly ($75). The Vibrant has some male/female end and an o ring seal. Are they worth it over the summits? Anyone have experience with either. I HATE exhaust leaks.
Old 09-15-2013, 07:06 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have Vibrant 3" t-bolt v-band clamps. No problems with leakage. I have the quick release latches as well. Do you have the Vibrant part #? Summit sells Vibrant, also.
Here's a pic of my clamp and I found a way to order replacement OEM SS t-bolts if anyone needs a few spares.

Brian
Attached Thumbnails Summit vs Vibrant 3" SS V Band Clamp Assemblies-v-band-clamp.jpg   Summit vs Vibrant 3" SS V Band Clamp Assemblies-dsc00620.jpg   Summit vs Vibrant 3" SS V Band Clamp Assemblies-dsc00621.jpg  
Old 09-15-2013, 08:32 PM
Launching!

I found Vibrant 1491 (the two flanges and clamp assembly) on summit and that is where I will be ordering. According to summits picture it looks like the quick release latch comes stock is that the case? I am leaning towards these. I have a stainless 3" tubing do these just weld right on w/ MIG as I don't have TIG capabilities. Right now I have TSP headers with slip fit exhaust tubing (tubing is OVER the header collector). I take it I just cut off the slip fit portion of the tubing and weld these inline?
Old 09-15-2013, 08:56 PM
On The Tree

Yes, that is the exact clamp.
The key to no leaks is the accuracy of alignment/angle/fitment when welding the flanges on. These are stainless. If you don't have the capability, have it done. These are great!
Old 09-15-2013, 09:54 PM
Launching!

As my slip fit exhaust is stuck onto the header right now the welding would most likely have to be done on the car unless I remove both headers and the entire exhaust which I would like to avoid. As I don't have my MIG welder up here I was going to pay to have an exhaust shop MIG weld them on with stainless wire. Should I pay a TIG place to do it instead. What do you think having these TIG welded on would run and is it necessary?
Old 09-15-2013, 11:05 PM
On The Tree

I like to do most/if not all work myself. But I've never welded SS. This is one of those jobs where having it done by someone who has done it 20X is beneficial, painless, and you're only paying labor as your bringing own parts.
Ask around if any "sell v-band flange" kits/assemblies. If they don't know what you're talking about, move on til someone engages you with knowledgeable discussion. Turbo shops do this a lot, so call a couple of those, too.
If you have a y-pipe, you should have a third kit for the back. It's best to have a slip fit in the y-pipe (driver's side) to help with adjustment. This pic is my exact set-up, but not my car - just a better pic of the two header collector flanges, slip-fit in y, and rear collector (which is larger than the two 3" collectors). This way, the whole y-pipe comes straight down.
I bought a complete system w/ 2" primaries. Still had to pay $$ to get y-pipe to fit just right. I paid way too much to have to throw more $$ at it. Quality shop said that I was still correct in buying a complete system as custom building the y-pipe might cost just as much as modding the system. The aftermarket is fraught with these kinds of scenarios. What's a guy to do Now that is finished, I love it.
You can also see how one might bend a few t-bolts on speed bumps or if lowered.

Attached Thumbnails Summit vs Vibrant 3" SS V Band Clamp Assemblies-img_6847.jpg  

Quick Reply: Summit vs Vibrant 3" SS V Band Clamp Assemblies