Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS6 intake vs. Holley Mid-Rise

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2013, 02:14 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS6 intake vs. Holley Mid-Rise

Ok guys, got an LQ4 getting installed in an S10, for the moment gonna be using an Edelbrock dual plane intake with a Demon 750 carb. This is just to get the vehicle running, the plan is next year to install Holley HP EFI (multi-point, not TBI). I have everything mapped out but the intake manifold, and here is where I ask assistance.

My brother has an '01 Z06 that will soon be getting the FAST 92 upgrade, which leaves an intake available for purchase by me to help complete my fuel injection setup for next year. In order to fit the carb/intake that I currently have on my LQ4, my S10 will need a 2" cowl induction hood, which I will have on the way shortly. I got to thinking, should I use my brother's LS6 intake, and complete my EFI setup, or should I go with Holley's Mid-Rise cast aluminum intake manifold, the modular model that tops off with the 92MM front mount throttle body?

The only reason I could think of to use the LS6 polymer intake over the cast aluminum one would be a little bit of heat soak due to aluminum vs. plastic. Any thoughts on this choice are greatly appreciated. Thanks guys!

I figured mods could help sway the decision, so this engine will be a stock LQ4 with the following mods: Texas Speed 228R cam, Patriot gold dual springs, hardened pushrods and 1 5/8" mid-length headers.

Last edited by Slamdsdime; 09-22-2013 at 02:33 PM. Reason: Added mods
Old 09-22-2013, 02:24 PM
Teching In

This is the intake I'm referring to.

I figure since I've already gotta run a cowl hood, why not run the Holley instead of the LS6? Looks better, and although Holley says its perfect for turbo or supercharged, I bet it would be superior in power to the LS6 manifold on an N/A application.
Old 09-22-2013, 07:55 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Are you planning on boosting anytime soon? If not id just go with the LS6 or a truck intake. (2007-2012 truck intake).
Old 09-22-2013, 08:06 PM
Teching In

If I go forced induction, it will be a few years down the road. However, the plan is to get it running this year, EFI it next year with the cam and supporting mods, and then D1SC or F1 Procharger. I still haven't decided whether I'm going to go the N/A route (stroker kit, sleeved block, TFS) or the FI route (stock heads with upgraded valvetrain, forged rotating assy, Procharger).

So I guess the manifold decision only hinges on whether or not I go the FI route?

Last edited by Slamdsdime; 09-22-2013 at 08:13 PM.
Old 09-22-2013, 08:40 PM
Teching In

I guess what I'm asking is, is there no reason to use the Holley over the LS6/truck intake on an N/A application?
Old 09-23-2013, 10:18 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Slamdsdime
I guess what I'm asking is, is there no reason to use the Holley over the LS6/truck intake on an N/A application?
I was looking at this intake also. It seems to be for a motor that is used more for higher rpm operation. I was thinking of the same cam that you had picked out. Heard some good things from people on it. I'm looking for street performance out of my 6.0L
Old 09-24-2013, 07:19 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have you guys actually looked at the insides of this 3pc manifold. Its junk for an LS and there's a ton of better options. Its a damn dual 4BBL intake manifold with a plenum stuffed on top. There's plenty of single digit cars on here doing just fine with an LS6 manifold.

Quick Reply: LS6 intake vs. Holley Mid-Rise