Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP! Car running terribly after header install

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2013, 08:26 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP! Car running terribly after header install

Got pacesetter LTs installed with pacesetter ory and magnaflow cat back about a week ago. Car is a 2001 Camaro SS. At the time I only installed 1 O2 sensor extension cause the other hadn't come in yet. Car drove fine, felt a tad sluggish on the low end which is normal after headers with no tune as far as I know.

Fast forward to today, car is at the shop getting pinion seal in rear end done. In addition the missing O2 extension was installed. After work is completed my mechanic calls saying the car is driving like total **** and misfiring? So yeah...

I don't understand how it ran better with a missing O2 than with both?

Edit: I'm reading a lot of threads with people with the same issue but all of them die out without the OP ever solving his problem (or he just never updated the thread saying he fixed it and what the issue was). However the most common problems seems to be a cracked spark plug or burnt wire. Is this likely my issue or would the car have ran like crap from the beginning if that was the case? Whats weird is that it just started running bad today. Another possibility is a stripped O2? Also maybe a bad IAT sensor which is not header related but maybe coincidence? Is there any way to tell what exactly the problem is before I start randomly replacing parts?

Last edited by badformulaLS1; 10-06-2013 at 10:32 AM.
Old 10-04-2013, 08:49 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

im not sure but i think the front o2 sensors have a different connector then the rear o2's so you cant plug them in wrong. Its possible a plug wire got to close to the headers and melted causing a misfire. Ive had headers on my car with stock tune and it ran fine with no bog or power loss. If the shop its at is competent enough to put in a pinion seal they should be able to figure out why its misfiring.
Old 10-04-2013, 08:58 PM
TECH Resident

I also forgot to add new plug wires were installed at the same time also. The plug wire melting might be a possibility. If so I guess I need a whole new set right? How do I prevent this from happening?
Old 10-05-2013, 07:34 AM
TECH Resident

Seriously no one else can help...?
Old 10-05-2013, 08:00 AM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Originally Posted by badformulaLS1
I also forgot to add new plug wires were installed at the same time also. The plug wire melting might be a possibility. If so I guess I need a whole new set right? How do I prevent this from happening?
You can just replace the damaged one if that is the case. The MSD's make it easy to angle them away from the primary to prevent them from touching.

Seriously no one else can help...?
Running without the oxygen sensor the car will run in open loop (it runs off of known tables in the computer rather than taking input from o2's) so it ran okay, then you plugged it in so it's running in closed loop now. The best thing to do would be to use a scanner to get some live data and see if the oxygen sensors are switching properly, and indeed showing a reading. If you have exhaust leaks ahead of, or directly behind the oxygen sensors it could definitely contribute to running poorly, maybe a fouled plug, etc
Old 10-05-2013, 10:14 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

I have seen a car act this way when moisture got into the connector for the o2 sensor and was throwing the reading off.
Old 10-05-2013, 12:57 PM
TECH Resident

Thanks for the responses. Well I got it scanned and its giving a code for coolant temp sensor. Is that O2 related? I don't remember the exact code number. Anyone know what could be causing it? Maybe the sensor broke during install? It's getting **** mpg too. It's gradually gotten worse from the random surging that started a few days ago prior to the 2nd O2 being put on and its been almost 2 weeks since the headers were done. I don't think the O2 could've gotten any moisture in it.

Last edited by badformulaLS1; 10-05-2013 at 01:54 PM.
Old 10-05-2013, 04:16 PM
TECH Addict

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Is the coolant sensor plugged in? It will run terrible if its unplugged.
Old 10-05-2013, 05:28 PM
"I MAID THEESE"

Received 675 Likes on 425 Posts

You need a tune. Same exact thing happened to me. Some of these cars take to longtubes/ory better than others!
Old 10-05-2013, 06:40 PM
On The Tree

Change the coolant temp sensor on the side of the head , I bet you cracked it when you installed the headers .
Old 10-05-2013, 08:00 PM
TECH Resident

Alright thanks guys, I haven't had a chance to look at it I just left it at the shop today. Monday I'll check it out. Hopefully it's just broken or unplugged because I'm not quite ready financially for a tune if the car is just acting up. I thought these cars were supposed to be fine without a tune after headers/ory.
Old 10-06-2013, 10:45 AM
TECH Resident

Can anyone tell me where exactly is the CTS? Driver or passenger side? What does it look like?
Old 10-06-2013, 11:52 AM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

drivers side in front, near the first primary. it was probably unplugged at some point during the installation.
Old 10-06-2013, 03:31 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by therealcreeper
drivers side in front, near the first primary. it was probably unplugged at some point during the installation.
Thanks I'll be checking it first thing tomorrow morning. Hopefully thats all it is.
Old 10-06-2013, 06:02 PM
On The Tree

Or worst case you bumped it and snapped the connector off like I found I did during the install. All fixed now, sensor replaced.
Old 10-06-2013, 06:31 PM
On The Tree

google kool sox it slips over the wires near the plug so this will not happen
Old 10-07-2013, 03:32 AM

Ive had headers on my car with stock tune and it ran fine with no bog or power loss.

Old 10-07-2013, 07:57 PM
TECH Resident

So yeah the coolant temp sensor was broken. Replaced it and car runs fine now.
Old 10-12-2013, 08:54 PM
Launching!

the reason this happens with a bad or unplugged Coolant temp sensor is the PCM uses the coolant temp of the car as one of its inputs for calculating injector pulse width, and Coolant temp is one of the higher priority inputs. With a broken or unplugged sensor, the PCM defaults to -40 degrees reading, which will increase the pulse width and just dump a ton of fuel. Just some knowledge if you wanted to know. Glad you got it fixed.
Old 10-12-2013, 09:09 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by BRUTL
the reason this happens with a bad or unplugged Coolant temp sensor is the PCM uses the coolant temp of the car as one of its inputs for calculating injector pulse width, and Coolant temp is one of the higher priority inputs. With a broken or unplugged sensor, the PCM defaults to -40 degrees reading, which will increase the pulse width and just dump a ton of fuel. Just some knowledge if you wanted to know. Glad you got it fixed.
Good info I appreciate it. Thanks.

Quick Reply: HELP! Car running terribly after header install